Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Sadly being mainstream means you are a racist these days. If you aren't on the far left you aren't right. Dangerous times we live in. Dangerous times indeed. I grew up pledging allegiance to America every day in school until i was 11. Then it became more of a now and than thing and I always found that odd. I grew up to respect the flag and rise and take your hat off when the Star Spangled Banner was played at sporting events. I was a teenager when it became legal to burn the flag. I always thought that was wrong even if it was free speech. Some things are meant to be scared and untouched. I don't mind a little discourse or civil disobedience but man I feel like we have moved well beyond that type of attitude and protesting. There is no more middle ground, no more compromise. This is how civil war starts.
I was just having a conversation about the pledge of allegiance and how we grew up it was just done and said everyday in school.

While I'm not one of these over-the-top team America guys. I really do think that a certain level of propaganda and that's basically what it is is necessary to help keep a somewhat cohesive view of our country and help to somewhat unite people. I get the other side of the argument, but whatever. Really at the end of the day being proud and promoting your country shouldn't be a bad thing, it is now, unfortunately , there appears to be forces that just want to stamp out anything that resembles typical American values. They do this by citing our past mistakes and transgressions, almost to a point of being robotic.

Yeah, we've done bad stuff, we've also been a beacon to the world and have fought for deceny along the way.

People who don't fundamentally like America should literally and proverbially get the F out and go away....

If you don't like that... buzz off.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,390,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The players are part of a union. While what you're saying sounds cute (in a bigotry type of way), there wont be an NFL without the players. Period! The players hold the majority of the power in this business model.. No one shows up to watch the team owners...
+1..excellent post.

And I am a white guy who isn't much of a sports fan but you are exactly right.

We've become a nation of crybabies and if these sports fans (or the media clown in the white house) don't like it when an athlete decides to make a peaceful protest...tough sh&t.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
+1..excellent post.

And I am a white guy who isn't much of a sports fan but you are exactly right.

We've become a nation of crybabies and if these sports fans (or the media clown in the white house) don't like it when an athlete decides to make a peaceful protest...tough sh&t.
The irony of your statement was not lost on anybody.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Not only that but an NFL player's career is statistically shorter than 4 years. The average career is 2.5 years. Most of these America hating sons of ******* will be long gone before Trump's first term is up. Many will be broke or bankrupt because they couldn't manage their money. A few will be dead or in prison. SO while the owners will say the right thing in support of their players as soon as they can't perform on the field they will be cut faster than a gang green toe on a diabetic and forgotten about. A mere footnote. Kaepernick can attest to this personally and he could still play the game a little bit and no one wants him on their team. The NFL hates controversy. They are just biding their time.
He,Kapernick is not a very good QB,he is overpriced and I would not play him even if he did stand .

Old 09-23-2017, 08:03 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,571 times
The MAJORITY of sports fans do not want sports politicized, Trumps opinion was the mainstream opinion. It should remain politically neutral. By going down this rabbit hole doubling down on politicizing sports, which is already affecting them, it will crash their revenues. They would be shooting themselves in the foot. This anti-america stuff has to end if they want to rebound.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The irony of your statement was not lost on anybody.
LOL, I thought the same thing.

Peaceful protests are typically allowed when you're not on the clock, otherwise it looks bad for the brand.

I think they have a right to do as they wish but if ratings tank further and there are empty seats, the league will have a right to take action against them, as well.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
People have a constitutional right to free speech. If sports players don't want to stand for the national anthem, so what. It's a peaceful protest and it is their right. Our president has free speech when he goes after everyone and anyone who offends him. I think that's more of a disgrace since he is the leader of our country and supposed to set an example.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Folk in society attacking a peaceful stand, (whether you agree with it, or not, it was peaceful!), but condone the President of the United States using foul language!
Let me ask you a question. If you took a peaceful political stance at work in front of customers would you be fired?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,453,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was just having a conversation about the pledge of allegiance and how we grew up it was just done and said everyday in school.

While I'm not one of these over-the-top team America guys. I really do think that a certain level of propaganda and that's basically what it is is necessary to help keep a somewhat cohesive view of our country and help to somewhat unite people. I get the other side of the argument, but whatever. Really at the end of the day being proud and promoting your country shouldn't be a bad thing, it is now, unfortunately , there appears to be forces that just want to stamp out anything that resembles typical American values. They do this by citing our past mistakes and transgressions, almost to a point of being robotic.

Yeah, we've done bad stuff, we've also been a beacon to the world and have fought for deceny along the way.

People who don't fundamentally like America should literally and proverbially get the F out and go away....

If you don't like that... buzz off.
Trump has been a domestic and international embarrassment since inauguration. He has been as divisive longer than that. I don't think there is a world leader who has any respect for him.

If you don't like peaceful protests, don't expect fellow Americans to leave the country for your sake. However, you are free to go back to Europe or would that be China based on your screen name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies