Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,061,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Several people have tried to get my military-retired spouse to weigh in on what he thinks of NFL players "disrespecting" the military, the flag.

Each time he sets them straight about how he risked his life to protect their right to do just this.

He says that the disrespect for the nation is coming from those who are trying to do away with this basic freedom to take a stand for what you believe in.

He sees through BS.

It's one of the reasons I love the man.

And thats fine, but this is not a matter of protecting the right to be disrespectful. Playing in the NFL is voluntary and these players are not only being distasteful, but they are breaking NFL rules. The owners have full right to halt the display.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:39 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,265,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Makes a certain sense now that they traded their backup QB away for a second round pick, but IMO, and it's strictly opinion, there's no way Kraft needs Kaepernick's bs and his radicalized girlfriend. She has a big mouth. But they also need a wide receiver.

I have to say, Kaft and Belichech have some big cojones.
After Aaron Rodgers went down, members of the media had him going to the Packers, but the Pats make more sense. But yes it is just a few writers opinions at this point.
However the lawyer predicting Kap gets a job in 10 days is interesting. Was he shooting from the hip, or does he actually know something is in the works? Would be pretty pompous for a hot-shot lawyer making a prediction with no insight.
The so called "players coalition", the group meeting with the owners seem to want to include "Kap getting a job" as part of negotiations to resolve the issue as well.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,265,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And thats fine, but this is not a matter of protecting the right to be disrespectful. Playing in the NFL is voluntary and these players are not only being distasteful, but they are breaking NFL rules. The owners have full right to halt the display.
Currently there are no NFL rules that are being broken. If your referring to the statement in the operations manual that states, "players should stand", should in legal terms is not the same as must or shall.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,935,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'll see your three bad cops and raise you this list of NFL thugs:

NFL Arrest - Football Arrest Record Database & Statistics
Take a knee when the game comes on. But we will note in the mean time how you try and excuse away the corruption.

That is why we have protests.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which protesting NFL players turned over the evidence or made the cases in the events you listed?
Each and every one of them. The protests have directly led to this. Why would you try and justify these actions on the part of the police?

I don't get it.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Hey why stop there?

Lets kneel at a police or military funeral while we're at it?

Why not at a fireman's funeral?

After all, according to the protestors....it's about their grievances with the country and not disrespectful to anyone...no matter where it's done at.
Kneeling has never been a sign of disrespect. Just the opposite. It is certainly not as disrespectful as paying people to stand.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:20 AM

58,583 posts, read 26,901,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Currently there are no NFL rules that are being broken. If your referring to the statement in the operations manual that states, "players should stand", should in legal terms is not the same as must or shall.
"
PERSONAL CONDUCT POLICY
League Policies for Players
It is a privilege to be part of the National Football League
Everyone who is part of the league must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL”

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...0000828506.pdf

Many in the public have LOST that confidence in the NFL and its integrity.

So let's look at where were are today in our country.

SOME people are "offended" by the Stars and bars, which was stolen by the KKK, because it "reminds " them of slavery.

SOME are "offended" by age old statues because it reminds them of the Civil War.

Some people are "offended" by certain words.

We must neutralize ALL words so as NOT to offend anyone.

The point is we act when SOME are offended no matter how silly others think it is.

SO, today a LOT of people are "offended" by these spoiled over paid athletes and their actions.

Why is it when someone on the left is "offended", that is where most of the offended people come from, we change things and cow tow to them BUT, when patriotic people are offended it does NOT matter?

People insult our country and pay little respect to it and some think that is OK.

I'd bet that those that do NOT respect the flag DON'T respect their mothers or fathers, wives etc. and certainly NOT themselves.

Such a pity!

They say the flag is just a piece of cloth.

It is NOT!

The flag, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS."

The flag represent the United States, for all its good AND bad.

The league has a reputation to hold.

When a LOT of people tell the league they do NOT agree wth their actions, the league had better listen.

The name of the game is MONEY.

When fans STOP spending money the league LISTENS.

People have burned their season tickets. Yes the league got the money for the tickets but look at how much the teams loses in concessions and football "gear" sold at the stadiums.

Football jerseys and other football gear sales is DOWN.

I canceled my NFL package and the rep told me that a LOT of people have cancelled theirs.

The cumulative affect will grow.

The NFL WILL feel the pinch.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 AM

58,583 posts, read 26,901,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Kneeling has never been a sign of disrespect. Just the opposite. It is certainly not as disrespectful as paying people to stand.
"Kneeling has never been a sign of disrespect"

Only to you, so quit making claims you cannot back up.

Kneeling CAN be EITHER.

Only a very ignorant person would say the players kneeling when the National Anthem is starting to play is to show respect for our country.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Kneeling has never been a sign of disrespect"

Only to you, so quit making claims you cannot back up.

Kneeling CAN be EITHER.

Only a very ignorant person would say the players kneeling when the National Anthem is starting to play is to show respect for our country.
I'll note you have not shown a case where it has ever been a sign of disrespect. You don't get to participate in your historical revisionism here without something to back it up.

P.S. I'm offended that the NFL was paid to put on these false shows of patriotism.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 AM

This kind of stuff has to stop.

Man says Gulfport police overreacted when they held him and his family at gunpoint as possible burglary suspects | The Sun Herald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies