Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:33 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,726,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you made my point.....Mexico has more social and corruption problems than the United States but Mexicans will never forgive their athletes disrespecting the Mexican Flag and Mexican National Anthem in sporting events or anywhere in public to push the athlete's personal political agenda over "issues" with the Mexican police or the Mexican government.....even they know that's 2 completely different things.

I don't see that anywhere in the world except in the U.S.A with blacks.......we cut a lot of slack to blacks because of White guilt that we don't let any other group get away with that.

If Canelo Alvarez a famous Mexican boxer kneeled down last week for the Mexican National Anthem and Mexican flag in public because he has a beef with the Mexican police treatment of RED-HEADED WHITE Mexicans that look IRISH he would be booed off the ring and be a disgrace for the Mexican Nation, he would be outcast and probably had to look for another country to live.

I have Puerto Ricans friends and they tell me the same thing.....you don't disrespect our flag and National anthem in public or you are done as an athlete or celebrity.
They would tear them apart. Those stadiums are HUGE. If one or two fans decided to storm the field thousands more would and no one is stopping them from tearing those players apart. Everyone who thinks America is such a violent place should watch a South American or Mexican sporting event. We come off looking like Buddhist monk pacifists compared to those fans. Kaepernick and all the other Son's of ******* should be thanking God they live in a country like America because at the end of the day what's keeping them alive and fans not storming the field to cut their hearts out is civility and respect for the laws we live under that this country has provided us and them.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
You get my point. Politics is such a divisive topic that it goes without saying you can not air your opinions at work for risk of alienating customers.
But they are just kneeling. Personally, I could care less because I believe in free speech. If they feel the need to do that to make a point then why are we being so judgmental. It's a peaceful protest and should be respected.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 PM

17,361 posts, read 9,189,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Though I agreed with some of their policy I now appreciate the gentlemen that Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama were. Not one of them would engage in such talk or continuously engage in verbal wars with people over minor personal things. There are SO much bigger things the US president should worry about other than kneeling NFL players or Steph Curry refusing to attend the White House. I hope nothing bad happens with North Korea's nukes while Trump is too busy tweeting at some athlete.
I guess it all depends on your Prism and Echo Chamber.
I will never forget those famous Presidential Words .....

"They bring a knife, we bring a gun" ...... talking about US citizens and not foreign adversaries.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:24 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,781,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But they are just kneeling. Personally, I could care less because I believe in free speech. If they feel the need to do that to make a point then why are we being so judgmental. It's a peaceful protest and should be respected.
Oh com'on it's a political statement. It's not only the kneeling theyre throwing up black power fists on the field now.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:24 PM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you made my point.....Mexico has more social and corruption problems than the United States but Mexicans will never forgive their athletes disrespecting the Mexican Flag and Mexican National Anthem in sporting events or anywhere in public to push the athlete's personal political agenda over "issues" with the Mexican police or the Mexican government.....even they know that's 2 completely different things.

I don't see that anywhere in the world except in the U.S.A with blacks.......we cut a lot of slack to blacks because of White guilt that we don't let any other group get away with that.

If Canelo Alvarez a famous Mexican boxer kneeled down last week for the Mexican National Anthem and Mexican flag in public because he has a beef with the Mexican police treatment of RED-HEADED WHITE Mexicans that look IRISH he would be booed off the ring and be a disgrace for the Mexican Nation, he would be outcast and probably had to look for another country to live.

I have Puerto Ricans friends and they tell me the same thing.....you don't disrespect our flag and National anthem in public or you are done as an athlete or celebrity.
I disagree with you alot. And this is why. You mention that "we cut Blacks alot of slack because of White guilt". The only White people I see cutting Blacks any slack are young liberals. Apart from that, there is alot of complaining directed towards Blacks. Keapernick can't seem to find a team that wants him. Muhammad Ali lost some years of his career because he refused to serve in Vietnam. John Carlos and Tommy Smith were banned from the Olympics after they made their Black Panther salute.

Something else. I know a few things about Mexico. Whites make up much of Mexico's elites. I don't think many Mexicans of European descent have much to worry about in terms of police harassment.

And here is how I would explain Blacks in the USA. You cannot compare Whites in Mexico to Blacks in the USA. Blacks, for the most part, are descended from people who did not volunteer to come to the USA. They came as slaves and then after slavery, the ravages of Jim Crow. That's over, but Blacks are still the most looked down on group in America. The way I see it, Blacks are not likely to be cut much slack, but said persons who are "taking the knee" don't really care. Thet pretty much know that they will be looked down on no matter what. You can't compare Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico to Blacks in the USA. You especially cannot compare Hispanics of European descent to Black Americans. Far different histories.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Oh com'on it's a political statement. It's not only the kneeling theyre throwing up black power fists on the field now.
So what...freedom of speech and a peaceful one. When have we lost our right to a peaceful protest. According to Trump it should be now. He has no idea about the constitution.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM

45,111 posts, read 26,284,895 times
Why not de-politisize sports and quit playing the anthem.Do people need govt in their lives every waking minute?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why not de-politisize sports and quit playing the anthem.Do people need govt in their lives every waking minute?
I'd love to get rid of everything surrounding sports except the game itself.

I know I'll get grief for this but I can't stand the constant begging for charity money surrounding pro sports. Every half inning someone getting an oversized check for cause X, go to the website and donate now! At the concession stand, on the concourses, the halftime shows, etc. are all fundraisers or "raising awareness" for whatever.

Two things:

1. Most if not all charities are scams.

2. If charitable giving is important to you...fine. But can we just enjoy a game for 3 hours and then you can go back to saving the whales or whatever?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,528,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

I have no idea. I guess it would depend on your dress code at work. So why ask me, ask your boss
You must not have a job.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You must not have a job.
Why would you assume that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies