Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:51 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If someone that "really wasn't a fan" stops watching that's still someone that stopped watching.
And so what if viewership decreases a bit? I am sure the owners, as successful businessmen, are quite aware of that possibility but they are siding with the players kneeling. Right now the NFL is far and away the kings of ratings. If they lost 25 pct they would probably still be the biggest draw per event.

Now, Nascar, the sport who sided with Trump well their ratings are truly in the toilet.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's not the players attacking fans free speech, it's "fans" attacking players rights to free speech.
Nailed it.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
The NFL is a business. The players are the employees. The kneeling is not being taken lightly by owners, management, or players. It's the business's decision to do what they want at the risk of viewership and profit. If fans leave because they re personally bothered by all of this, then they are less sports fan than political ones. If you don't like seeing players kneel during the anthem and that gets you mad, then so be it. At this point it's your loss not theirs, and only the future will tell what sort of revenue hit the NFL takes.

I love my football. I will continue to watch. If I was so bothered by the kneeling, then during the anthem I wouldn't watch the TV but instead listen to it while saluting a flag in my house. I am not and will not berate people from exercising their constitutional right to protest. No flags are being burned, no statues are being taken down, no property is being destroyed, no people are being physically hurt. I'm tired of this disrespect angle. I don't see it that way.

Now if you hate Roger Goodell, or hate how the game is managed by the refs, then you don't like the actual product. Whining about player salaries or anything else is your personal issue. You have the choice not to buy a ticket or watch game.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
They weren't really fans to begin with if they walk away. Lots of Cowboys fans in the stadium last night - - I'm guessing a good number of them are Republicans. Seemed to be having a good time.
The games are sold out. Very few people have their minds so wrapped up in politics that they'd give up doing something they have enjoyed doing all their lives just to appease the person in the white house. What we are seeing right now is PC on steroids. America will be America again with football Sundays and all, as soon as the fool leaves the WH.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
And so what if viewership decreases a bit? I am sure the owners, as successful businessmen, are quite aware of that possibility but they are siding with the players kneeling. Right now the NFL is far and away the kings of ratings. If they lost 25 pct they would probably still be the biggest draw per event.

Now, Nascar, the sport who sided with Trump well their ratings are truly in the toilet.
Another take on the "too big to fail" hypothesis. I wonder if MLB felt the same way in the 50s and 60s?

Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's not the players attacking fans free speech, it's "fans" attacking players rights to free speech.
It isn't a free speech issue. Stop believing everything the media tells you. This is a workplace conduct issue. The NFL's customers (fans) don't want to have politics, especially anti American politics forced into their entertainment, and relaxation time. They go to games, or watch on TV to escape day to day politics. It is an intrusion on their time, and money.

This is a blatant insult to fans, and the NFL is now in the spot of supporting elements of their product their CUSTOMERS DON'T LIKE.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:00 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Another take on the "too big to fail" hypothesis. I wonder if baseball fans felt the same way in the 50s and 60s?
Baseball is still around and thriving.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
I really don't care one way or the other about the protests. All I do is turn on the game after the national anthem. I don't care to mix politics with my sports.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackum View Post
This statement shows ignorance. No one says you can not have a view or protest even if its as stupid as this BS. But what you can not do is protest at your place of work. You do not have the right to stand on your desk and yell BS. They stopped Tebo from putting scripture on his eye charcoal, and fine players for dancing in the end zone. This is no place for protest. Want to speak out get a spot on a TV show and tell people if they will listen to your stupid view.
You can't because your employer says you can't. I don't see the players' employers telling them they can't. So I don't see your point.

Beyond the drama, who cares? So they are kneeling. I'm not part of the black youth, and I don't pretend to understand the issues they are protesting because I don't experience them.

I can move on with my day and watch anyway like a normal person.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
If the NFL is depending on continuing their financial success due to support from black people- they will not make it. If enough of us older white Americans that love football will stop supporting them because we love America more than a game- their funds will go way down. These players apparently don't realize who supports their high lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies