Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Do's and Don'ts with our Flag:

Don’t dip the U.S. Flag for any person, flag, or vessel.
Don’t let the flag touch the ground.
Don’t fly flag upside down unless there is an emergency.
Don’t carry the flag flat, or carry things in it.
Don’t use the flag as clothing.
Don’t store the flag where it can get dirty.
Don’t use it as a cover.
Don’t fasten it or tie it back. Always allow it to fall free.
Don’t draw on, or otherwise mark the flag.
Don’t use the flag for decoration. Use bunting with the blue on top, then white, then red.

Flag Etiquette Do's and Don'ts | Military.com
I was talking about the iconography of the flag, not just the flag itself. is it wrong to wear the US printed on a shirt, fabric stitched together for an American flag theme bikini, etc.?

Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,507,561 times
Marine Vetern burns Colts season tickets.

Video: Former Marine burns his Colts season tickets | New York Post

Old 09-26-2017, 05:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,672,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was talking about the iconography of the flag, not just the flag itself. is it wrong to wear the US printed on a shirt, fabric stitched together for an American flag theme bikini, etc.?
Well, I just learned it was wrong to have paper plates from 4th of July with flags on them. To answer your question, I think it's incorrect to wear a flag bikini....according to the flag etiquette.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 PM

33,758 posts, read 16,763,762 times
Great to see DirectTv is allowing customers to cancel NFL package wo penalty if protests are cited as reason.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,754,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yeah I'm okay living in a society that fosters freedom of speech and protest. Especially when a certain group of people tell everyone else how a million people died for that right in the first place.
I think the general consensus is that they do have the right to do what they are doing (so long as their team owners allow it). Where we differ is that many of us believe it is in incredibly poor taste to disrespect the flag and anthem. That they have the right to do it doesn't mean that it is acceptable behavior.

The result of their choosing this manner of protesting is that many of us have no interest in hearing what their actual grievance is.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:32 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,690,220 times
Well, I just watched my last NFL game.

I have been a football fan for over forty years. I liked the competition, the strategy, the strive to win and the effort each player showed to achieve the team's goals. Seems a half dozen or so had such weak knees they couldn't even stand up for the national anthem of the citizens who paid them millions of dollars every year, but those few could be ignored as silly outliers. On Sunday, entire teams refused to take the field, making the outlier the norm.

If I wanted to watch overpaid people opine on politics, I'd watch the news. (Come to think of it, I don't do that anymore, either.)

I wonder if the NFL has yet discovered that the very type of fan they seek to fund them are the kind that believe in the country that supports their sport?

Good-bye, NFL. Call me when you regain your senses.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 PM

26,149 posts, read 21,383,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I think the general consensus is that they do have the right to do what they are doing (so long as their team owners allow it). Where we differ is that many of us believe it is in incredibly poor taste to disrespect the flag and anthem. That they have the right to do it doesn't mean that it is acceptable behavior.

The result of their choosing this manner of protesting is that many of us have no interest in hearing what their actual grievance is.
Oh because if they did it in another manner tons of white folks would certainly be open to discussions, it was pretty easy to integrate schools, lunch rooms, bathrooms, water fountains etc

Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,754,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If they say they do it in name of unity, why would you insist it is about something else? Is it because Trump said so? You feel you have to say what he says?
Unity for who? They are pushing people away, not uniting them. I have no interest in unity with anyone who rejects the flag of this country as not being their flag.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 PM

54,476 posts, read 33,769,730 times
Default A Rerminder To Professional Ball Players

I got this in an email from a very good friend and I wasn't sure if it belonged in a political forum, but I'll try and I'll leave it up to City Data moderators to determine what to do with it. It's a reminder to all those over-paid professional athletes, who act like spoiled brats by refusing to stand up for the National Anthem. Let's remind them of those who fought, and many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice to defend the freedoms they tend to take for granted.

Take a little trip to Valley Forge in January. If you don't know where that is, just Google it from the sidelines. Hold a musket ball in your fingers and imagine it piercing your flesh and breaking a bone or two. There won't be a doctor or trainer to assist you until after the battle, so just wait your turn. Take your cleats and socks off to get a real experience. Then take a knee.

Then take one at the beach in Normandy where man after American man stormed the beach, even as the one in front of him was shot to pieces and the very sea stained with American blood. The only blockers most had were the dead bodies in front of them . . . riddled with bullets from enemy fire.

Take a knee in the sweat soaked jungles of Vietnam. from Khe San to Saigon . . . anywhere will do. REAL Americans died in all those jungles. There was no playbook that told them what was next, but they knew what flag they represented. When they came home, they were protested, as well as spit on for reasons only cowards know.

Take another knee in the blood drenched sands of Fallujah in 110 degree heat. Wear your Kevlar helmet and battle dress. Your number won't be printed on it unless your number is up! You'll need to stay hydrated but there won't be anyone to squirt Gatorade into your mouth. You're on your own.

There's a lot of places to take a knee. Real Americans have given their lives all over the world. When you use the banner under which they fought as a source for your displeasure, you dishonor the memories of those who bled for the very freedoms you have. That's what the red stripes mean. It represents the blood of those who spilled a sea of it defending your liberty.

While you are on your knee, pray for those that came before you, not on a manicured lawn striped and printed with numbers to announce every inch of ground taken . . . but on nameless hills and bloodied beaches and sweltering forests and bitter cold mountains . . . every inch marked by an American life lost serving that flag you protest.

No cheerleaders, no announcers, no coaches, no fans . . . just American men and women delivering the real fight against those who chose to harm us . . . blazing a path so you would have the right to "take a knee."

You have no inkling what it took to get you where you are; but your "protest" is duly noted. Not only is it disgraceful to a nation of real heroes, it serves the purpose of pointing to your ingratitude for those who chose to defend you under that banner that will still wave long after your jersey is issued to another.

If you really feel the need to take a knee . . . come with me to church on Sunday and we will both kneel before Almighty God. We'll thank Him for preserving this country for as long as He has. We will beg forgiveness for our ingratitude for all He has provided us. We will appeal to Him for understanding and wisdom. We will pray for liberty and justice for all . . . because He is the one who provides those things.

And there will be no protest. There will only be gratitude for His provision and a plea for His continued grace and mercy on the land of the free and the home of the brave. It goes like this . . .

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,892,008 times
Taking a knee is NOT disrespectful. We kneel when we pray. We kneel if we approach a king. Kneeling is saying "here I am, I have something to say, please listen".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies