Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
people in person pays their respect to the anthem especially when we have service members and veterans in presence.......apples and oranges.

that's like attending a funeral in person, you show respect.......when you are at home then it doesn't mtter does it?

The thread/article is about TV viewership. It says nothing about game attendance.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The thread/article is about TV viewership. It says nothing about game attendance.

who is comparing the 2?........millions of americans don't want to watch a multi-millionaire diva on their screen disrespecting our flag in the presence of our veterans and servicemen and using the NFL to bash the country with his personal agenda and can't even play well his position.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
People who can't read their college diploma are given millions of dollars to play a 60 minute game for a few months and then complain about the U.S.A being a stinking rotten country and they won't honor our national anthem.
Then the 60 minute game has 150 minutes of commercials added.
And let's not give the commentators a pass. They are also college grads but you wouldn't know it because of their mispronouncing of words and bad grammar.
The interesting thing about that too is, they didn't get that much of a college education because the college only invests in them specifically to be on the team for the college, not to help them get an education where they can someday get a real job and contribute to society. They basically give them a passing grade for "showing up" and just as long as them being on the team brings in money for the college through football game activities, they get their "passing grades and diploma".

That's basically why the majority of them have so-called "college education" but don't exhibit much in the way of intelligence levels to correspond with it. Playing for a number of years and then going on to being a doctor, dentist, scientist, and such contribution to society is nonexistent for them.

So these individuals become multimillionaires without the intelligence level to match. Thus all the troubles with them. Big money and no brains equals trouble and lots of it for years to come.

And since these individuals make so much money, they think that they are somehow very special and important in every way possible plus a positive contributing factor to society, which they are not. Some last long while others last longer, and some burn out quick. Look what happened to Hernandez.

Really look at just how many games an average player actually plays in during each season. What? 18 or so max per season if they go to the Super Bowl? Multimillion dollar contracts for that? Ridiculous

Football has basically morphed into a garbage can over the past, say 20 years. At one time the players were actually talented individuals, such as Rice, Montana, Bradshaw, Joe Namath, and the like. Since around 2000, it's become just a festering bling-bling and no brains circus act.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
good luck with that lawsuit......under that scenario Tim Tebow has a case...lol
I said it would be hard to prove collusion so he will not sue. Tebow is out becuase he can't throw and no other reason. Do not even bring him into the conversation.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:52 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Funny, national anthems aren't part of the broadcast.

If you crunch the numbers, that amounts to 3% of respondents. Knowing what we know about these sorts of calls (that elderly people are most likely to participate), i'm not surprised that a handful of old bigots would stop watching football because of Kaepernick.
So... if someone disagrees with Kaepernick then that means they are a bigot, right?

Alinsky logic like yours is why the Left is increasingly viewed as... insane, irrelevant and out of touch.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:57 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
who is comparing the 2?........millions of americans don't want to watch a multi-millionaire diva on their screen disrespecting our flag in the presence of our veterans and servicemen and using the NFL to bash the country with his personal agenda and can't even play well his position.
Stop using the military as your excuse to fake outrage. Many in the military have stated that they fought for his very right to peacefully protest. Many in the military supported the reason for protest. He's not protesting the military. Please stop trying to use the military as your little shield to argue. The police and military are two different groups. This country is not perfect and Kaepernick chose the most peaceful non-intrusive way to protest. The only people carrying-on with the fake outrage are people like you and the media. Just ignore it and carry on with life. He's not stopping a single other people from enjoying that song.

Ultimately, this all boils down to people just want to see a "disobedient" (half)black man be humbled. And it's petty at this point. He's not in the league, fine. Then tell the media to move on and tell them to stop triggering yall by doing these stupid little anthem-obedience checks and listing off players that are kneeling/sitting. There's no point in them doing it other than trigger fake-patriotic guard dogs. It's silliness.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Kneeling is a greater sign of reverence than putting one's hand over one's heart. In monarchies, subjects kneel before the monarch. So what these players, in effect, are saying is "I am willingly subjecting myself to the absolute authority of my government". Slaves were also made to kneel before their masters as a sign of subjugation. Nowhere do I know of has kneeling been ever considered a sign of protest.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
9,200 people polled. Out of which only 12 percent said they watched less NFL. And you got millions out of that?

Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Most of us enjoy competitive sports as an escape
From work and politics

Here's the issue today
You have 24 he sports on tv. And on radio

Wayyyyy over saturation of. Anything newsworthy

The media is always there to pour gas on a fire

Initially I thought sitting was disrespectful
And like Stevan. A smith say Colin k. Didn't even vote.

He makes a stand but doesn't. Back it up

Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Funny, national anthems aren't part of the broadcast.

If you crunch the numbers, that amounts to 3% of respondents. Knowing what we know about these sorts of calls (that elderly people are most likely to participate), i'm not surprised that a handful of old bigots would stop watching football because of Kaepernick.
I'm one of those old bigots you speak of but I have never watched any professional sport because it never interested me.

I think I have watched maybe three super bowl games in my 69 years on the planet. No interest.

The only time I ever went to a professional football game was in the 80's when I went to watch a Cleveland Browns game. The reason I went was a friend of mine worked for Art Modell and he got four tickets to Art Modell's personal box and it destroyed me from ever wanting to watch a game again.

Our snacks were delivered on real ceramic plates with real silverware. No waiting in line and we never paid a dime for anything.

We had gold tickets and all we had to do was flash them to be herded to the players private parking lot and from here it might have been 200' to our box. Of course we had an elevator, complete with operator, to go up to our box which was right next to the press box.

Of course our box had closed circuit television so we could watch in real time while watching the replays if we so desired.

Beer was served in real glass mugs that were frosted.

Unless I get that kind of treatment I have no desire ever to go to another professional baseball game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies