Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But the sport needs young hardcore fans to keep going.

I was listening to a talk radio program that discussed this very issue. They were talking about how boxing was so huge back in the day, and everyone watched it on TV, and talked about the boxers, and knew all the stats. Now, folks only watch when it's a huge, heavily advertised fight.

It's not the just the kneeling. It's the NFL turning a blind eye to domestic abusers, dog fighters and criminals. It's over-saturation. It's politicizing something that is an escape from that sort of thing for most people (one of the radio guys says he never watches anymore for that reason. He watches games to get away from the stress of everyday life, and now they bring up politics during games all the time).

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
Too many penalties. Rule changes. Can't play real defense anymore.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Too many penalties. Rule changes. Can't play real defense anymore.
Those are some of the more real problems with the NFL lately. Games are slower, SO many commercials, and so many flags. And as you said, the league caters to offense these days, any and everything is a flag on defense.

These issues that actually have to do with the game are what annoy a lot of hardcore football fans.

Either way, the NFL is still top dog in the world for revenue, and that isn't going to stop any time soon. The number of people who have stopped watching the NFL strictly based off the anthem controversy, they have very little impact on the $13B machine.

Real football fans don't give a **** about a few dozen players out of 1,696 NFL players taking a knee or not standing during the anthem. If one claims to be a football fan, but would stop watching their favorite team because of a player sitting during the national anthem, then they're not really a football fan.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
I agree with you 100 percent. I am a hardcore fan and I don't like the all Offense oriented changes the NFL made. Please allow the defense to play real football.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From ESPN -

"National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason"

National anthem protests No. 1 reason viewers tuned out NFL games

I'm a Jets fan, that's my excuse. I could care less about Colin Kaepernick.
I'm not going to watch one single NFL game this season. People are using the NFL to promote their personal agendas, and the is using it to push their political agendas, like they do everything else.

An author wrote a book years ago about the sermonizing from the Hollywood and entertainment crowd on the left, the book was titled "Shut Up And Sing," for obvious reasons. The author should write a similar book titled "Shut Up and Play."

I'm tired of tuning into a football game, to see people pushing their agendas with different colored socks, and taking a knee to our national anthem. I tuned in to watch a football game.

If you tuned in to ABC, last night to watch a benefit concert to raise funds for the victims of these hurricanes, you were treated immediately by these lefty celebs turning the event political.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Those are some of the more real problems with the NFL lately. Games are slower, SO many commercials, and so many flags. And as you said, the league caters to offense these days, any and everything is a flag on defense.

These issues that actually have to do with the game are what annoy a lot of hardcore football fans.

Either way, the NFL is still top dog in the world for revenue, and that isn't going to stop any time soon. The number of people who have stopped watching the NFL strictly based off the anthem controversy, they have very little impact on the $13B machine.

Real football fans don't give a **** about a few dozen players out of 1,696 NFL players taking a knee or not standing during the anthem. If one claims to be a football fan, but would stop watching their favorite team because of a player sitting during the national anthem, then they're not really a football fan.
"Real football fans don't give a **** about a few dozen players out of 1,696 NFL players taking a knee or not standing during the anthem"

How DARE you proclaim what WE think.

Who made YOU our spokesman?

I don't recall you ASKING ME my position on this.

I am embarrassed, as a life long Skins fan, that you are a Skins fan and think you have the right to proclaim what others think!

Hooray NO. 9

Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Jerry Jones, the Dallas owner, told the players that if they did not stand for the anthem, and/or if the protested, they would not be playing for the Dallas Cowboys. Guess what? No players protest. So it can't be against the CBA. The owners own the teams, they own the uniforms, and players can not do things to disparage the team, nor the uniform. Why can't other teams owners do that?
Bingo.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:31 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
How can you use the military as an excuse yea I said it. When your not doing anything to ensure Americans are safe from the police?

Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
It was announced today that ratings were down 13% for the first week's games.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From ESPN -

"National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason"

National anthem protests No. 1 reason viewers tuned out NFL games

I'm a Jets fan, that's my excuse. I could care less about Colin Kaepernick.
don't believe it. people are just not that interested anymore. they are busy with other stuff, they are not watching as much TV and cord cutters along with cord nevers are skyrocketing.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
The NFL is making short-term dollars, but will have a lot of long-term issues if it fails to address them......

1. Everyone knows about the concussions, with folks retiring early, and kids not wanting to play football, and parents not letting them!

2. Both sides of the Kaepernick situation, with progressives boycotting because they think "he's being blackballed," and conservatives boycotting because "players are disrespecting the anthem, and the NFL is not hard enough on it!"

3. A heavily outdated television business model, where games are being shown according to region, as well as the dreaded New York double-market rule!

4. A more outdated archive business model, where every old joint after one week is controlled and "cleaned up" by NFL Films! The Sabols and Facendas are gone, and time to update!

5. And did someone say atmospheric ticket/PSL prices in those billion-dollar stadiums.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies