Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times

Advertisements

Now Wall Street is noticing the NFL has a problem.

NFL TV Ratings Slide Worries Wall Street | Hollywood Reporter

Old 09-20-2017, 03:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I hate the NFL.

They hire drug dealers, druggies, wife beaters, cheaters (Tom Brady); dog killers ~ there is nothing too evil that the NFL won't excuse. Except for a peaceful protest.

Such crap.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The NFL is making short-term dollars, but will have a lot of long-term issues if it fails to address them......

1. Everyone knows about the concussions, with folks retiring early, and kids not wanting to play football, and parents not letting them!

2. Both sides of the Kaepernick situation, with progressives boycotting because they think "he's being blackballed," and conservatives boycotting because "players are disrespecting the anthem, and the NFL is not hard enough on it!"

3. A heavily outdated television business model, where games are being shown according to region, as well as the dreaded New York double-market rule!

4. A more outdated archive business model, where every old joint after one week is controlled and "cleaned up" by NFL Films! The Sabols and Facendas are gone, and time to update!

5. And did someone say atmospheric ticket/PSL prices in those billion-dollar stadiums.....?
I agree with your post 100%.

Not to mention - young people don't even have cable anymore!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
Default The NFL - The back lash

So while some of you know or someone of you don't care he is the reason the NFL is having a crappy season so far. Loss in seating money, ratings and over all interest in the game.

1. It can't be popular forever. Every game and sport has its ups and downs.
2. Political activism in the NFL. From the talk radio, to the espn news to the players siting for the national anthem. Fans are tired of it all, and just go watch college football.
3. Over time the game has been torn down to safety, to over flag happy no plays ever stick.
4. You have the right to protest the American Flag but you dont have right to dance in the endzone?
Fine them for everything in that stadium.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:07 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Have the ratings for college went up or stayed about the same?

Most of the football fans I know are pretty conservative with a low tolerance for BS so I can see why ratings are down.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Which leads to another point to add to your list:

5. There are a lot more options now as far as competitive entertainment goes and people are fragmenting into cliques based on the type of competition that appeals to them the most. In the past the choices were much more limited so you had a much more monolithic fan base. This is a good thing IMO it means more entertainment options for everyone.

That is just a natural result of more communication and more options to choose from, the more choices the more the available pool of people devoted to each individual choice shrinks.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-21-2017 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
The NFL is quickly learning the same lesson as Hillary: call people "deplorable" and they don't like you. The NFL has politicized football.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
One other one: major hurricanes bashing Texas and Florida, two states that love football.

And everything needs to be put into perspective. The falling ratings of the NFL? NBC's Falcons-Packers game was watched by 20,237,000 viewers - - first place in the ratings. Second was America's Got Talent - - with 11,590,000 viewers. NFL blows away every other televised entertainment out there. College football can't touch it: Clemson-Louisville and USC-Texas were 5.0 and 4.9 million audiences - - 15th and 17th most watched programming of the week.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Have the ratings for college went up or stayed about the same?

Most of the football fans I know are pretty conservative with a low tolerance for BS so I can see why ratings are down.
B.S. Show me the statistics. It sure won't pan out blue state vs red state.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM

862 posts, read 519,498 times
I think the number one is that the NFL has over saturated itself.

The Thursday night game is a downright travesty. No team is ready to play on three days rest. The product sucks. The Monday night game is usually a dud as well.

There are also only a handful of good teams, that other fans get sick of seeing all the time. The Sunday night primetime game, the main fox game, and the main cbs game will guaranteed have the Packers, Cowboys, Pats, Broncos, and Giants every single time.

NFL needs to be like college and broadcast all the games on at the same time throughout the day. That is the real solution. Then if the Jets are getting killed, I could switch to another interesting game, instead of simply turning the TV off and doing something more enjoyable on my sunday.

The referring is also atrocious, and College is such a more enjoyable product.

I think the politics has very little to do with it imo. Politics are killing ESPN, but I dont see it in terms of the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies