Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

The most famous was in 1968 at the US Olympics with the Black Power Fist .... but it started before them.
Communism

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're not paying attention if you don't know this is, and has been, about police brutality/mistreatment.

I don't even follow, let alone support, the NFL - but even I know this.
Here's Kap's official stance released over a year ago on 8/28/16...

Quote:
"I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me, this is something that has to change. When there's significant change and I feel that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, and this country is representing people the way that it's supposed to, I'll stand."

"This stand wasn’t for me. This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t."

"It's something that can unify this team. It's something that can unify this country. If we have these real conversations that are uncomfortable for a lot of people. If we have these conversations, there's a better understanding of where both sides are coming from."

"I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That’s not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn’t holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That’s something that’s not happening. I’ve seen videos, I’ve seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they fought have for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That’s not right."
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/11/1...n-marshall-nfl

It looks like he did it for vets????

Vets of color???

What about the players that only took a knee post Trump's statement? Is that simply against Trump?

Throwing around vague terms and a lot of rhetoric does not make a protest. I mean...sure it can. Just don't expect any reasonable person to listen especially when you have so much money, a union, and media capital at your disposal.

Whatever their cause is they sure as hell ain't helping it and by their methodology I'd say they are hurting it.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I knew you couldn't name anything.

And nobody knows what the silly protest is about. Fewer people care.
You do because you're posting frequently about it, just like the other cons.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
take a deep breath and relax, this happened in 1968 and it didn't destroy the Olympics
http://https://www.thestar.com/news/...-olympics.html
Correct - it didn't "destroy the Olympics" ...... just the careers of the 3 men who participated in the Dis-Respect. They were kicked out of the Olympics and the Olympic Village.
It was their Choice and they don't regret it - even the one who ended up as a handyman gardener.

2 of the 3 got a 22 ft statue in California 40 years later ...... that's got to mean a lot to them, I guess.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Here's Kap's official stance released over a year ago on 8/28/16...

It looks like he did it for vets????

Vets of color???

What about the players that only took a knee post Trump's statement? Is that simply against Trump?

Throwing around vague terms and a lot of rhetoric does not make a protest. I mean...sure it can. Just don't expect any reasonable person to listen especially when you have so much money, a union, and media capital at your disposal.

Whatever their cause is they sure as hell ain't helping it and by their methodology I'd say they are hurting it.
That is clearly about police mistreatment/brutality. Especially when you remember the entire context of when this statement was made.

Did you read the article you are quoting? It actually lays out, clearly, the intent of his protest:

Quote:
A silent protest to show support for people of color who are being oppressed in the United States, and to take a stand against police brutality. It’s an effort to use his voice and his position as a NFL player to effect change for the people who are suffering, and don’t have the same ability to create significant change.
Quote:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick said, via NFL.com. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
Why are you playing dumb here?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Liberals aren't that bright, many people have been fired for things they have said, they have a right to say whatever they want and owners have a right to fire whoever they want... until NFL feels financial pain, they will protect their star producers... they don't want to upset the players who make the money for the NFL, unless they aren't making money...
But owners aren't going to fire anyone. They are all in solidarity. My problem is why does a president even care about this. Why does Trump continue to divide us even further. Shouldn't his priority be Puerto Rico which has been decimated by hurricane Maria.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, Olympics coverage is dismal. I watched maybe 60 minutes of the Olympics last time around.

Heck, a couple months back I shut off all but my basic cable and now just have Netflix and Amazon Prime. The only thing different is the >$100/month I save off cable.

Tried to load CBS to watch a football game the other day as they offered free streaming on Prime but the fine print was only for a certain time. Got to the end and they wanted $6/month to have access to their shows. I LOL'd when I saw that...I wouldn't give them 1 cent a month.
im so done with cable as well. i laughed when i saw a regional sports charge show up on my comcast bill, now they are automatically charging us extra for channels we are already paying for?!? i would to start a boycott cable campaign, pretty much criminal what they charge.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:30 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
That is clearly about police mistreatment/brutality. Especially when you remember the entire context of when this statement was made.

Did you read the article you are quoting? It actually lays out, clearly, the intent of his protest:

Why are you playing dumb here?
If this is based on "hands up, don't shoot", that was a lie.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The most famous was in 1968 at the US Olympics with the Black Power Fist .... but it started before them.
Communism
Actually, I view the 1968 Olympic protest quite different.

Those men grew up and experienced actual institutionalized racism. Although Jim Crow was only dealt with, formally, just a few years earlier, you could say that our nation treated blacks quite poorly overall while they were competing at the 68 games.

They had very few venues available to protest. This was a rare circumstance for them to make a statement that our society needed to take a hard look in the mirror.

Their situation was much different than today's athlete, and society is completely different. America, with all its flaws, is still a very fair and open society today. Do we have more issues to work on? Certainly, but they are nothing like the 60's and before.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But owners aren't going to fire anyone. They are all in solidarity. My problem is why does a president even care about this. Why does Trump continue to divide us even further. Shouldn't his priority be Puerto Rico which has been decimated by hurricane Maria.
ICYMI:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article...-in-caribbean/

Your talking point is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies