Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Private companies, corporations fire people all the time for saying, or doing stuff in which they disagree, and that may hurt their business. This is not a First Amendment issue, it is a WORKPLACE CONDUCT issue between employer, and employee. Yes, the NFL and universities can, and HAVE fired people for misconduct.

But the owners, so far, are standing with their players.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Proof that age and veteran status doesn't make one automatically right or sensible.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/97-year...041427597.html
So he's insensible because you disagree with him?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:15 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But the owners, so far, are standing with their players.
That's why the people have to hurt 'em where it really hurts...their wallets.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Another forest gump moment. The guy was probably pulling weeds.
Nope.

Willard veteran takes a knee to support black NFL players
Quote:
This form of protest may be new, but civil rights activism is old hat for Middlemas, who consented to a brief interview with the News-Leader with the help of his daughter, Maile Auterson.

"I wanted to communicate what I always told to my grand-kids and everybody else," Middlemas said. "When they'd go to bed at night, we'd tell the kids we wanted to be like Jesus."

By that, Middlemas wants to communicate a message of peace and acceptance. His desire to be inclusive is rooted in his time serving alongside black members of the military while deployed on a submarine.

"I'm trying to say that you have to love everybody," he said, adding he hopes "the whole world" will get his message. "We don't kill people. We want to make people live."

Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There are some sane NFL Teams (maybe 6-8 with none of them West Coast of course) - two of them played tonight. I expect some of these other Teams will make some attempts to get their clubs into some for of control and decorum. The Cowboy/Cardinals game went smoothly with none of that dis-respect, it's why we planned to watch it. I didn't know what the Cardinals would do, but I was positive about the Cowboys & figured the Cardinals would be positive about the Cowboy response also and not want to look like fools. I was correct.
You were not correct. The entire Cowboys team took the knee to protest Trump. They said it was about unity, which is what all the teams have also said. United against Trumps comments. The fact that they got up before the anthem goes on the prove what I have been saying all along, the protests have nothing to do with the flag, ad everything to do with the idiot in the white house.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
One more:

It's possible they don't understand the risk. I don't think Colin Kapaernik did.
Eh. You'd be surprised at the number of people who exist who understand the risks of opening their mouths or showing dissent publicly...and decide the risks are worth exercising one's rights.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Have you been following this Finn or sleeping - the kneeling started due to the players taking a knee because of the excessive violence by police against blacks.
Yes, with very few isolated players, but after Trump attacked them, now hundreds of players, coaches and owners are doing it to protest Trump.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is putting their allegiance toward America. There would be no America if not for our fighting men who kept the enemy out of our country. It is indeed respect for our fighting men and veterans.

We have had it easy here stateside. We never had war here and the people who think it was easy to keep the enemy out should revisit their thinking.

We would not have liberty if not for our men who defended this country . We have been well protected and we should pledge our allegiance for just that.
Why did a million men and women die since the beginning of this country's history if we aren't allowed to exercise our rights...anywhere?

Because really that's what its come down to. No matter when, how, why, where or who the protest encompasses we have people crying, "So disrespectful to America!! Don't they know how lucky they are????"

So why? Why did a million people literally GIVE THEIR LIVES for OUR collective freedom and then so many Americans today turn around and spit on the memory of the fallen by telling us not to protest...and go further and say it is disrespectful to do so?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I thought there was an uproar about kneeling way, way before Trump said anything a few days ago?
No, it was barely recognized, but as you can see, there is an uproar now.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
That's why the people have to hurt 'em where it really hurts...their wallets.
In what way? They game are sold out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies