Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 AM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times

Advertisements

The NFL is so huge, so if this becomes an election issue (or midterms issue) where the Democrats are campaigning in favor of kneeling, it'll be a tremendous factor that will favor the Republicans.
I'm pretty sure most Americans don't like the kneeling.
Majority of independent voters would be on President Trump's side, and some Democrats would also agree with President Trump on this issue.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:42 AM

166 posts, read 384,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Sunday NFL ratings were down...
From ESPN: "For the weekend as a whole, ESPN and CBS were up, NBC and FOX were down, and on aggregate ratings across the NFL were up about 3 percent from Week Three last year. So there’s no reason to believe that the national anthem controversy hurt the NFL in the ratings department".

And for those of you who think people silently kneeling during a song is disrespectful, imagine having someone grab you by the *****.

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm black too. I don't really GAF about the kneeling and think all of the people who claim it is "disrespectful" are kinda ignorant considering kneeling is a show of respect IMO. People kneel to pray. They kneel to show courtesy to people they revere. IMO the players are kneeling out of respect to the black Americans and our experiences in this country and it is not especially about "veterans" (which is funny to me that people keep bringing up veterans as if a significant amount of black people in this country have not served or are not related to veterans)

You don't have to support anyone. However, they do have freedom of speech to kneel and to call you whatever they want. You also have freedom of speech to debate them or call them out for their name calling. That is what free speech is about.

Will note though that I do respect America and our flag. I am well aware of the fact that black Americans have made this country live up to its promises of "freedom" and "liberty" and have called the country to task for ensuring all citizens receive the latter and the rights they deserve as described in our founding documents. Due to that, I consider this my country on a very high level and I always stand for the flag because I have a 7th great grandfather that fought in the Revolution. I have distant great uncles who fought in the war of 1812. I have over 15 documented relatives who fought for the US colored troops in the Civil War. I have five great uncles who fought in WWI - one died in his 20s due to injuries he sustained in Europe after he returned home. I knew 5 of my 6 great uncles (brothers of my great grandmothers) who fought in WW2 - one of them was killed. Both my grandfathers served in Korea. My dad is a Vietnam era vet. One of my cousins was one of the first black women in the Air Force. I have quite a few young relatives right now who just got out of the service or who are active service members. I think that my family's legacy though in regards to patriotism is different from white Americans and that is why I think many of them bring up "veterans." Of all the vets I mentioned above that I knew personally, all of them felt this country was a racist country and that the military was a racist organization when they served. However, they felt that this was their country and they wanted to contribute to the nation and the older generation wanted to prove that black men were adequate and honorable soldiers. Oftentimes, black veterans have a different sort of patriotism than white ones but regardless, kneeling is not disrespectful and even though I wouldn't do it, I don't think it is a big deal if someone calls me a name over it (which has never happened to me). Everyone has the right to speak their mind if they so choose.
I agree with a lot of things you said but as so many people have pointed out Freedom of Speech extends only to state and government NOT in the workforce arena. Many of us would be fired making a political statement or protest at our jobs.

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I watched every Eagles game during the Rich Kotite years, by default that makes a me a "real fan".
And my departed father was a huge fan of Eagles, Sixers, Flyers and Phillies. This would not of stopped him watching the games. Heck he always complained about free agency and the unfair advantage of monied teams but he still watched any Philly game on TV.

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Standing is the politically correct thing to do during the anthem, and personally I stand with my hat off. Ironically Trump who pretended to be non-PC turned out to be the PC cop-in-chief, attacking everyone who is not doing the politically correct thing. You can't make this crap up.
I stand as well....I dont place my hand over my heart....so does that make me a bad patriot. The whole thing is beyond me. The freedoms fought for and won by those in the military, who I know many currently in and whom I have great respect for, is for our freedom of expression. The NFL has no rules that says you MUST stand for the anthem. If the NFL changes it or a team can change it (not sure they can without the NFL approval) then those not standing are not violating any rules. They may violate someone's belief on what is right, but we live in a country where people have fought many years to keep our freedoms in tact.

I have no issues, that is people dont like it, then they don't watch....if that upsets them that much. Fine with me. Same as I, as it doesnt affect me, so I will watch as normal.

Go Vikings!

Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Politics is everywhere. It can't easily be avoided unless you avoid television and much of the population.
I agree.

Chip and Joanna Gaines of "Fixer Upper" fame are getting RW grief over dealing with Target in selling their rustic farmhouse decor.

I walk past Hobby Lobby and do without than rather than disrespect all those who worked so hard for so long so that women could have a choice and every baby would be a wanted one.

Forget about ever having another Chick-n-Mini. Might as well tell my gay friends and family members to go to hell.

Now folks are swearing off professional football.

Is there an app that will help us sort out where to shop, what to eat, and what to watch on TV?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackum View Post
I see the NFL and other sports taking a hit. They don't know who their fans are. I see a lot of people walking away from them.
I walked away way before this. They have been taking fans for granted for YEARS. Frankly you are a SUCKER if you throw them money right now. Simple as that.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I've watched the NFL religiously for almost 50 years. No longer- I love football, but I cannot support theses misguided (at best) protests- which impress me as shallow and disrespectful. I guess the NBA will be on my list as well, as I'm sure those idiots will go along with the immature peer pressure of their NFL brethren.
I would bet money that the NBA not only kneels, but steps up the game. NBA players are more likely to be liberal and their fans are more likely to be liberal.

MLB may be your best bet, but have an exit plan. I forgot what happened last season, but something happened that got me thinking the MLB may be a few years behind the NFL regarding politics(maybe it was Black Lives Matter related or Trump related)

Or you could use your spare time to workout, hangout with your family, read a book, work, mediate, volunteer, etc, you know...better yourself. Naw just sit in front of the TV, drink beer and yell. That is what real men do.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackum View Post
Total BS statement, The fans have every right to walk away from BS they don't see as in line with their values. The players have every right to spew the crap they want OFF THE FIELD. When on the field they are working just as you don't have the right to yell at your boss as your mowing his lawn.
The players have an equity stake in the game. Everyone involved knows the owners can't just fire all the players and replace them. And they are not yelling at their bosses, the bosses are on the field showing support with their players.

So much for that argument.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I love my football. I will continue to watch. If I was so bothered by the kneeling, then during the anthem I wouldn't watch the TV but instead listen to it while saluting a flag in my house. I am not and will not berate people from exercising their constitutional right to protest. No flags are being burned, no statues are being taken down, no property is being destroyed, no people are being physically hurt. I'm tired of this disrespect angle. I don't see it that way.

Now if you hate Roger Goodell, or hate how the game is managed by the refs, then you don't like the actual product.
Whining about player salaries or anything else is your personal issue. You have the choice not to buy a ticket or watch game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies