Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its not about political correctness... its about who generates the money for NFL and how not to upset them... if people stop watching NFL, it don't matter if the players generate money or not, they'd be fired for causing decrease revenue...
Not going to happen!!!! Football is the most popular and successful league in America, to my knowledge. People are addicted to it....Fantasy football and the like. Let me repeat.....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If anything, the league will lose revenue....but who cares. Its already over bloated. The stadiums cost too much, the concessions cost too much, the owners make too much, the players make to much. Most owners of these teams make their money in some other business venture anyway.

The league would be more hurt by a players strike.....because even the people who support the free expression of the players, as well as those who don't, as well ass all the spin off businesses related to game day at stadiums, will be lost. You can bring in scabs like last time but it would not work out well like it did not then. If the players strike over an issue like this......being forced to demonstrate patriotism......the owners will be screwed too.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Hey Leftists, does your boss allow you to protest on company time?
The only employer stance that matters regarding this is the NFL's and the team management for each team that has players kneeling. And they seem to be allowing it. So...your point?

Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Strawman. If they did, you still wouldn't be allowed to protest in an organized fashion.
You mean everyone would be forced to stand with a hand over the heart, and anything less would be considered a protest?

Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Showing basic respect for the flag is PC? Who knew?
Complaining about other people not standing up is PC on steroids.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No, that would be oppression, not the issue at hand here.

Nobody is demanding anything here.
Hmmm...nobody?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...18945158402049

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...43924979077120

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...01271817838593

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...04261553950720

Trump is walking a fine line here...as the President, he needs to watch how he frames his points and the discussion. We do have a 1st Amendment, and it is nearly impossible to separate Trump the citizen from Trump the President (Government).

I think he's going about it the entirely wrong way...but hey, what do I know.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
If I pay to see a football game, I want to see a football game, not someone's political views. I don't care what those views are, even if they are views I would agree with otherwise.

If I pay to see a play, I want to see the play. I don't want to see actors lecturing people about politics. Any politics.

I just want these people to do what they are being paid to do. If they aren't going to do that, I am not going to watch them. I'm certainly not going to pay them to preach politics at me. And if they do something that I find offensive, I am darn sure not going to pay them to do it. They have the right to do what they believe, but their right to do what they believe does NOT impose any obligation on me to watch them do it.
Agree!

Not only that, it's their air of moral superiority while they go about with their political
proclamations. An example that comes to mind is Lena Dunham today calling Trump a racist and also n to Dylan Roof...this, from a woman who sexually abused her own sister. Gimme a break.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
If I pay to see a football game, I want to see a football game, not someone's political views. I don't care what those views are, even if they are views I would agree with otherwise.

If I pay to see a play, I want to see the play. I don't want to see actors lecturing people about politics. Any politics.

I just want these people to do what they are being paid to do. If they aren't going to do that, I am not going to watch them. I'm certainly not going to pay them to preach politics at me. And if they do something that I find offensive, I am darn sure not going to pay them to do it. They have the right to do what they believe, but their right to do what they believe does NOT impose any obligation on me to watch them do it.
They play the game, all 4 quarters, but before they start, they sing the anthem. They will sing it whether you like it or not. Its on the house. Some players observe it standing up, and some on the knee. If it angers you, then you should probably stay away. I also pay to see the game, but I understand there are some ceremonies before the kick-off. It does not bother me one bit. I stand, and don't care what other people choose to do.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Linking the arms was a "Trump approved" gestures. I imagine so is standing but not with your hand over your heart like el presidente has done too...
Trump does not like to put the hand over the heart either, so I suppose that is why he approves others to violate that rule as well.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
....AND the number of blacks killing blacks AND the number of police shootings/killings whether the victim is armed or not, absolutely necessary or not, AND the REASONS blacks are more likely the targets than whites AND what innocent peaceful black folks are having to deal with in their neighborhoods that whites seem oblivious and indifferent about AND that nobody really knows how to make things better for those who want things to get better AND...
When "whitey" does show an interest we're paternalistic and even colonialist. When a black agrees with a white person showing an interest he's an Uncle Tom or Aunt Jemima. When a black person tries to integrate he's "acting" or "talking" white. I don't think blacks do much better in any other country than the U.S. except maybe the Falashas in Israel.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Trump is walking a fine line here...as the President, he needs to watch how he frames his points and the discussion. We do have a 1st Amendment, and it is nearly impossible to separate Trump the citizen from Trump the President (Government).

I think he's going about it the entirely wrong way...but hey, what do I know.
That would require deep thought and nuance... he has the capacity for neither.

Quote:
https://twitter.com/jjones9/status/912687924680028161

Pentagon paid sports teams millions for patriotic events
Bill Theobald, USA TODAY

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-say/75141688/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies