Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:52 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For years I argued that racism wasn't as bad as some were making it out to be. I was wrong.
welcome. lol

Old 09-29-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post

I find it disconcerting that this is the one incident that made Eric Reid decide to take action. Eric Reid's hometown is Baton Rouge. Which happens to be one of the most dangerous cities in one of the most dangerous states in the nation. For a population just over 200,000 people they average between 60 to 80 homicides a year. That's an astounding amount of violence for a city of that size. The victims are by a wide margin young black males and the perpetrators are by a wide margin young black males. At no point did this merit action or demonstration by Eric Reid. It begs the question, if an unarmed Alton Stirling was gunned down by some young black males. Would that have motivated Eric Reid to take action? Probably not.
This has been addressed and buried 30 feet in the ground. Why are yall still trying to use "what about black on black crime?". black criminals go to prison, cops don't. What exactly is Eric Reid supposed to protest if a black murderer goes to prison? I don't remember any white supremacists complaining while these men beat and raped women all these years, but they stand up to racism and yall start forming Voltron.

Literally, just going back to the same easily destroyed deflection.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
kneel is okay. The official rule has no rule about it. The operations manual suggests they should stand. The NFL has stated that kneeling is okay. You're post is factually wrong.
This doesn't read as a suggestion to me. If you want to rest your comments on the word "should" that's fine with me. I don't have to agree.

NFL League Rulebook A62 63 National Anthem Rule | Time.com

The NFL rulebook makes no mention of the national anthem. But the game operations manual does.
Here's what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

It's important to note the use of the word "may" here. The NFL is not considering punishing fines on players or teams who choose to kneel or stay in the locker room during the national anthem, the spokesperson says.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
He didn't disrespect anything. Plenty of Vets will back this point of view, infact, most of them are sick and tired of people using their service as a wedge device.
I am a vet. served in Desert Storm. I don't back his point of view.

all of the ones I have spoken to agree with me.

in truth the sad part here for me isn't what others are saying. Its that my experience in the military was that it was the first place I had real converstations with African Americans about race. When you live with, work with... even sleep in the same room with people you build a trust level that allows for that.

the reality is the Military is a place where there are far more "coming together" kind of moments where unvarnished hard conversations based on trust take place than any place else in the country.

those that feel the need to do this protest need veterians on their side and that bridge has been burned. There might be a significant number of Vets that are on their side or not opposed to what they are doing, but it is nowhere near majority, not even a large minority.

And from those I have talked to, we don't feel like there is any intention of trying to bring us in to be understanding. not at all. This is about dividing the nation. its not at all about bringing anyone together.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
This doesn't read as a suggestion to me. If you want to rest your comments on the word "should" that's fine with me. I don't have to agree.

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

It's important to note the use of the word "may" here. The NFL is not considering punishing fines on players or teams who choose to kneel or stay in the locker room during the national anthem, the spokesperson says.
just as important to note the use of the word 'should'.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
just as important to note the use of the word 'should'.
It was noted. Did you miss that?

Old 09-29-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post

NFL League Rulebook A62 63 National Anthem Rule | Time.com

The NFL rulebook makes no mention of the national anthem. But the game operations manual does.
Here's what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

again that's the operations manual, it's not the rule book. It suggests they stand. And that manual is not official in the same way the rule book is official.

Fact Check: No, the NFL Rule Book does not require players to stand during the National Anthem | NBC4i.com

Here is what NFL rulebook says about the national anthem | The Kansas City Star

Quote:
My coworker Jason Boatright pointed this out to me, so that’s why I did a quick search on Google of the NFL rulebook. It’s easy to find, and here is a link to it.
There is no mention of the national anthem in the NFL rulebook. There are no pages A62 or A63, either.

Page 62 deals with a “Foul committed during passing play,” “Foul during a backward pass or fumble,” “Foul during free kick play” and “Four during scrimmage kick play.” Page 63 continues with the scrimmage kick play, and then deals with a “Dead ball foul and foul between downs.”
How about rules for before games?
Rule 17 is “Emergencies, Unfair Acts,” and Article Seven of that rule has the only mention of the word pre-game.
It has to do with a pre-game threat: “If there is deemed to be a threat of an emergency that may occur during the playing of a game (e.g., an incoming tropical storm), the starting time of such game will not be moved to an earlier time unless there is clearly sufficient time to make an orderly change.”

It appears some fans are confusing the league rulebook for the NFL Game Operations Manual, which includes nearly 200 pages of procedures and policy for regular-season games. Among the arcane details: each team must provide 600 towels and 500 pounds of ice to the visiting team.

In an email, Brian McCarthy, the NFL’s vice president of communications, shared the portion of the manual that addresses the anthem, and that language is what has been shared on social media but mistakenly attributed to the rulebook.

McCarthy stressed that passage about the national anthem is a guideline and not a requirement. The key words in the operations manual are “should” and “may” and not “must.” No player is required to stand at attention.

the NFL has also come out and made it clear that kneeling is perfectly okay.

I hope this is the last time I have to kill off this argument. We are circling back around to things that have already been addressed to death. At this point, people are just arguing about their hurt feelings.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:23 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
LOL! Is that all you have? Brilliant.
"If the shoe fits"

Riveting.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Veterans are choosing to be offended by a protest that isn't about them in the first place.

Sad that they don't preach what they were supposed to have practiced.....

Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Funniest thing was his jersey being used as a doormat outside a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies