Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
But when it comes to watching the NFL -- I just want them to play the games. It's entertainment and an escape from the misery of the rest of life. I don't want to see anything political.
You mean you don't want to see the anthem, and pre-game rituals. Typically the broadcast begins at 1PM at kick-off, which is after the pre-game things. Happy?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-03-2017 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
AMEN and we did notice fewer players took a knee this week. Why, who knows, but the fact is they didn't.
It should be obvious last week was the NFL giving Trump the finger after he attacked some of their team-mates.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 AM

1,872 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
AMEN and we did notice fewer players took a knee this week. Why, who knows, but the fact is they didn't. I don't give a darn if they want to join arms during the anthem, tough I prefer they don't. I don't care if they all kneel before the singing just not during. more than anything, yes, get politics out of this, on both sides. President Trump you had your say, now lets' drop it. Players, you are not going to gain much sympathy or prove your point by acting like a bunch of babies who want their own way: find another place to voice your views on life. Play football and let us start enjoying our Sunday afternoons again.
The problem is -- they know you care. And yes, you do. If they did not believe you care, they would not have done it.

Now, when I said 'you', I do not mean YOU personally, whoever YOU are behind that screen name. I mean 'you' as in all of us. Why was the national anthem and the flag ceremony started in the first place ? Because people care. It persisted all these yrs because people care.

Someone suggested the NFL stop the ceremony.

Is that the answer, to stop and/or remove something just because a few do not like it ? What make you think someone else will not find another way to use something else to protest 'in your face' about a different issue ? Are we going to remove another item ?

So far, not one who supports the players/protesters have yet to answer the question of why is it unreasonable to take their grievance outside the stadium.

There are no suppression of free speech here. We are just asking to take the issue outside the stadium, a small parcel of land with a captive audience, and address the issue to a larger audience in a much larger parcel of land.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It should be obvious last week was the NFL giving Trump the finger after he attacked some of their team-mates.
Just as it's obvious fans are giving the NFL the finger with lower ratings. The NFL is in a fight it can't win.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post

Is that the answer, to stop and/or remove something just because a few do not like it ? What make you think someone else will not find another way to use something else to protest 'in your face' about a different issue ? Are we going to remove another item ?

So far, not one who supports the players/protesters have yet to answer the question of why is it unreasonable to take their grievance outside the stadium.

There are no suppression of free speech here. We are just asking to take the issue outside the stadium, a small parcel of land with a captive audience, and address the issue to a larger audience in a much larger parcel of land.
The kneeling players aren’t stopping the game nor the anthem. They aren’t delaying the game, they are just kneeling. Doesn’t make a difference in the game if they stand or kneel. The anthem means one thing to you, and something else to them. Your entertainment of the game saw no time loss, they still Played.

Why are they doing it inside the stadium? Because if it’s not inside the stadium, no one would listen or care about the issue. It got people talking, some were open minded enough to understand it, others did not. The issue was addressed in the biggest parcel of land available, the NFL tv show. The most highly watched tv show in all of sports. It exposed all the hypocrites for who they are.
What you are asking is to take the issue somewhere you can’t see it so you don’t have to think about it, which is not the point. They want you to be disturbed, and you will be disturbed until you can see past the anthem for the real reason. Not to mention people are too stupid to stop going to/watching the games entirely, so you will continue to see it. I dare you not to watch ever again! Never gonna happen.
If you’re ok with going to games and seeing people talking while sitting in their seats or on a beer line during the anthem, then this shouldn’t bother you. If you’re ok with people switching channels or walking away from the tv while at home and not standing at attention, then this shouldn’t bother you. I don’t hear anyone talking about that, interesting enough, we never before heard of people disrespecting the military while getting beer or sitting in chairs during the anthem. If you’re going to demand the players “respect the flag” then everyone has to do it. At the game, at home, on the field, EVERYONE or no one. Not just the players because you have an agenda. If you want the players fired, kick out the spectators that don’t stand at attention no matter where they are. It’s liberty and justice FOR ALL, not just people that want to watch a game. Somehow people don’t want to get inconvenienced by players and their social issues, but they don’t want to be inconvenienced by making everyone else abide in the stands by the anthem rules. Apparently that’s the norm.
Btw, the people getting beer or walking away from the tv wouldn’t know about this if people didn’t tell them. Lol

Last edited by Harry Hemi; 10-03-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 06:58 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
AMEN and we did notice fewer players took a knee this week. Why, who knows, but the fact is they didn't. I don't give a darn if they want to join arms during the anthem, tough I prefer they don't. I don't care if they all kneel before the singing just not during. more than anything, yes, get politics out of this, on both sides. President Trump you had your say, now lets' drop it. Players, you are not going to gain much sympathy or prove your point by acting like a bunch of babies who want their own way: find another place to voice your views on life. Play football and let us start enjoying our Sunday afternoons again.
want their own way? Equality for ALL is being a baby? LMAO...

you people are hilarious acting like you are being stabbed in the eye by seeing a football player kneel.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
The problem is -- they know you care. And yes, you do. If they did not believe you care, they would not have done it.

Now, when I said 'you', I do not mean YOU personally, whoever YOU are behind that screen name. I mean 'you' as in all of us. Why was the national anthem and the flag ceremony started in the first place ? Because people care. It persisted all these yrs because people care.

Someone suggested the NFL stop the ceremony.

no, you don't get to tell folks how to protest or it would be called compromise.

You can ask, and they can refuse and continue.

if it upsets anyone that much then don't watch the games or don't watch the TV while they kneel.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Just as it's obvious fans are giving the NFL the finger with lower ratings. The NFL is in a fight it can't win.
The games were sold out, even the one in London with 90 000 people.

Enough of the PC outrage.

Besides, the ratings stuff is Donald Trump fake news. Ratings sky-rocketed on Week-4.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...age/724246001/

Quote:
Fox sees big jump in ratings for Week 4 NFL coverage

The kneeling-related boycott of the NFL hasn’t fully materialized.

Fox’s NFL coverage netted a 12.6 rating and 26 share, a 14% increase over its Week 4 coverage a year ago. The network broadcast one game nationally on Sunday and the ratings were about 20% better than CBS’ singleheader coverage in Week 4 of 2016.

Fox had the top-rated NFL broadcast of the weekend and its best singleheader telecast since 2015, the network announced on Monday.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
fine, as long as they don't continue. I wonder if you libs think they accomplished anything except for acting like the spoiled brats they are? should Trump have done or said what he did? Not in the way he did it, but was he right in what he said? as far as I am concerned 100%

Old 10-03-2017, 07:13 AM

Default NFL Ratings jump after anti-Trump unity protest.

So, much for the 'ratings disaster' promised by Trump.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...age/724246001/

The kneeling-related boycott of the NFL hasn’t fully materialized.

Fox’s NFL coverage netted a 12.6 rating and 26 share, a 14% increase over its Week 4 coverage a year ago. The network broadcast one game nationally on Sunday and the ratings were about 20% better than CBS’ singleheader coverage in Week 4 of 2016.

Fox had the top-rated NFL broadcast of the weekend and its best singleheader telecast since 2015, the network announced on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies