Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Some things are bigger than you. MLK would not have been shot if he would have kept his mouth shut.
MLK had to deal with bans for African Americans in many public places, refusal of services because of skin color, rampant discrimination for mortgages.

None of those things exist today.

Just stand and show some respect, do your job, and if you have a problem with something in society then go protest it on your own time.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Here is my solution:

1. Any player who wishes to remain in the locker room during the playing of the National Anthem, as a form of protest, or any other reason, is welcome to do so.

2. Any player who chooses to be on the field, ice, court, bench during the playing of the National Anthem will be required to stand.

3. Violation of these rules will result in a team penalty.

So, feel free to protest but do not expect paying customers, teams and sponsors to subsidize you.

Your cause on your time and your dime.
Better solution. Stop playing it in the first place. It's not a government proceeding. It's a football game.

If they do want to play it, do what they used to. Play it before the players ever take the field.

Problem. Completely. Solved.

These guys aren't anti-flag or anti-military. And, if people were paying attention, they'd know this.

Instead of being so disgusted at a quiet protest because "'murica!" maybe people should start caring that they feel so strongly that they're protesting in the first place.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Maybe all the kneeling will stop when the athletes realize it looks like they are getting into position to give some Lewinsky's.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
For there to be a "solution" there needs to be a problem. So far I have yet to see a good argument about how a stranger kneeling during the national anthem causes actual harm.
Exactly. The people who are offended are wildly oversensitive, not to mention self-centered.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
I have a different solution.

Stop commenting on the anthem protests and stop being so offended. Just ignore the players when they protest. I guarantee that the protests will either really slow down or stop.

This statement goes for Trump and his twitter as well.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Exactly. The people who are offended are wildly oversensitive, not to mention self-centered.
But people demanding "safe spaces" in schools are not. They are the tolerant and considerate model that all citizens should strive for?

Back to the subject:
Players are being paid millions to provide entertainment. Specifically, play football before a paying audience.

If they start doing something that turns off the paying customers and revenues start falling, their employers have every right to tell them to stop, and back up their statements with everything from fines to suspensions to even firing.

And if they don't like it, they can go form their own football league where kneeling during the National Anthem is normal and encouraged. And see if they can still pay the huge salaries they currently enjoy.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Here is my solution:

1. Any player who wishes to remain in the locker room during the playing of the National Anthem, as a form of protest, or any other reason, is welcome to do so.

2. Any player who chooses to be on the field, ice, court, bench during the playing of the National Anthem will be required to stand.

3. Violation of these rules will result in a team penalty.

So, feel free to protest but do not expect paying customers, teams and sponsors to subsidize you.

Your cause on your time and your dime.
And as a head coach I would say to the team if any member wishes to stay in the locker room during the anthem he is free to do so but then the entire team will have to stay as well. No individuals on my team.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I have a different solution.

Stop commenting on the anthem protests and stop being so offended. Just ignore the players when they protest. I guarantee that the protests will either really slow down or stop.

This statement goes for Trump and his twitter as well.
And that was what was exactly happening until Trump opened his big mouth and brought it back into the limelight.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:18 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am ok with this as long as the team owner is ok with it. They have a right to protest, even though I do not support them or thier cause. They do not however have a right to disrupt the game or interfere with others enjoyment of the game or with thier patriotism. Until the public disrespect stops I will watch no more football.
How does a player kneeling during the anthem disrupt the game or interfere with others enjoyment of the game or their patriotism?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Y'all should be happy that your lives are good enough that you think this is worth your time to throw hissy fits over.

Whaaaa don't assume my gender waaaa <=== (Same exact people raised by differently biased parents) ===> Whaa don't kneel during the anthem waaaa

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-13-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies