Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Looks like the players win this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/s...sts-trump.html

"...after a meeting Tuesday with union representatives and players, the league did promise to help support some of the causes targeted by the protesting players, including reform of the criminal justice system."

Looks like the league has come down firmly on the player's side.
good!- those who want to watch can, and those who don't --bye-- but we have to let LIBERTY live

Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Default trump Says NFL Owners Should FORCE Players to Stand

Plantation mentality. What a moron.

Quote:
The NFL has decided that it will not force players to stand for the playing of our National Anthem. Total disrespect for our great country!
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
October 18, 2017

Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Good.

Kneeling is a form of respect. It was respectful protest. People who claimed it was disrespect simply disagreed on the issue. The whole thing was pathetic and shows that many people only want free speech upheld for some but not others.

It really was a non-issue.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
Tell this to all the poor white people at MAGA rallies who are mad about smarter Asians, Blacks, Indians, etc. getting better jobs than them.
The vast majority of people are upset not because they are mad at other races or nationalities getting jobs but because - to be PC - companies are hiring less qualified people because of quotas or to show they are PC.

I don't care what color, nationality or religion you are - you just better have more to offer than anyone else interviewed.

This has been going on for years and is not anything new. My son was in the top 5% for the NYC police force 10 yrs ago when he took the exam - they threw the exam out because not enough minorities applied and those that did - most didn't score very high. Two days lost wages - a 16 hr trip - and a night in a NYC hotel - all thrown away because not enough minorities qualified - that's wrong.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Trump was wrong in his premature tweet last week when he said something about the NFL being against kneeling during the National Anthem. I don't have the exact tweet, but he jumped the gun.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
That DA doesn't have the common sense to know when to shut the Hell up. His handlers must be ready to take a bridge, when they see him do stuff like this.

If he would just act like a sane human being, work on the issues that need work, and shut up and quit tweeting, 90% of his problems would go away. But nooooooooooo, he has to get his nose in where it doesn't belong.

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
To be totally honest, I am not quite sure how I feel about these kneeling protests. Part of me wants us to respect our nation and flag,and yet, another part of me understands that these protestors have some issues that they want to bring to the front. When Trump didn't have the sense to stay out of it, things really took a downward turn and more players joined in.

We really are a very divided country right now...........the Russians must be dancing. Not sure how much their efforts helped, but they certainly tried. They knew, by putting someone like Trump in the WH, that it would not be received well by a large portion of our people. They knew that if they could make a lot of us question our own democracy it would destabilize us. They knew, with a man at the helm who was against working with the rest of the world that it would isolate and alienate us from even our allies.

Not sure what it is going to take to heal America, but something needs to happen soon.
I admire the players taking a knee for what they believe is true. This is what democracy, what America is about.

They are a real life example of Ben Franklin's "We either all hang together or we'll all hang separately."

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
This is not a liberty, or first amendment issue. This is a workplace conduct issue, and an employer issue. The players are disrespecting their customers by bringing politics into entertainment. If the team owners, and league are OK with it, that is fine. I respect that they are willingly destroying their product, and destroying customer relations. They are free to do that. I am free to turn it off, and I, and many others have done just that.

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
You can not force them. You could make it a requirement for employment and I am not sure that would hold up in court. Fans can quit spending their money on them and I guarantee a solution would come up quickly. Of course Trump is not bright enough to see any of that.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Respect can also be viewed as a 'virus' that folks can 'catch'.

The role of the POTUS is special, although respect for that role, its people, its Constitution, & its laws, is considered to be 'the bare minimum' "code of behavior" for a suitable holder of that office. From day 1, Mr. Trump has evidenced disrespect for all of these, right on up to his most recent fiasco(s). To the point, it's at the dereliction of duty stage.

Take this for example:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227
Doesn't apply. Read the statute more carefully. I bolded the critical part of 18 U.S.C. § 227. Trump is not in violation. There's no evidence or reason to believe his criticisms of the NFL are motivated solely by partisan politics.

18 U.S. Code § 227 - Wrongfully influencing a private entity’s employment decisions by a Member of Congress or an officer or employee of the legislative or executive branch:

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies