Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, Olympics coverage is dismal. I watched maybe 60 minutes of the Olympics last time around.

I think it was far left NBC that started all the "Up close and Personal" nonsense in the 80's. A lot of the coverage is geared towards women, and women's sports now. The bias is shamefully obvious. I can't watch the PC Olympics anymore. A once proud international competition is now a big JOKE.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Baseball is too slow for me to watch. It may have been entertaining in 1917 to sit in the bleachers in your straw hat & eat peanuts for 3.5 hours in the afternoon, but in 2017 I need my entertainment to come at me much faster. I have a TV, internet, a car and stuff to do.

I have no interest in the NBA. Culturally, I can't relate to the players. I don't find them likeable or compelling on any level. Since they changed the eligibility rules, I no longer feel like I know any of the players from watching them play four years of NCAA ball. The blatant favoritism the super stars get from the refs, the rule changes, etc. has it about one step above professional wrestling in terms of integrity, imo.

The NFL is still fun, but they're trying to politicize it & that will kill the game. I watched some NFL pre-game show yesterday and they had a Black guy on talking about Kaepernick. Social issues, strong black men using their platform to speak on America's injustices, blah, blah, blah. I (and I think I speak for a lot of people) will not tolerate being lectured to about racism & social justice issues when it's time to watch sports. Sports is supposed to be an escape from politics, from the drudgery of life, etc. If I wanted to listen to someone who knows a lot less than me talk politics, I would tune into the local news, not the NFL Today.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
What I find interesting is moving teams from city to city in search of freebies is not mentioned at all. This has no effect?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Funny, national anthems aren't part of the broadcast.

If you crunch the numbers, that amounts to 3% of respondents. Knowing what we know about these sorts of calls (that elderly people are most likely to participate), i'm not surprised that a handful of old bigots would stop watching football because of Kaepernick.
You are a bigot if you disagree with Kaepernick?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Don't care. League allowed dog-beaters and wife-beaters. But now people want them to expel individuals who decide to kneel during the anthem?

Outrage nation
There is a difference. I for 1 felt Vick should have been banned for life. I feel the same about players who violate substance abuse. I feel that if a player is arrested and found guilty in a court of law for spousal abuse or beat ng a girl friend that they should be hammered by the league. These are all offenses committed on their own time, but should not be tolerated.
What they do on the field is different. They are on the clock. Where I work we are banned from engaging in politics at work. WE are not allowed to wear clothing that the company feels is offensive. Is the company wrong for this? Their property, we are on their dime, and ultimately their rules.
I disagree with kneeling during the anthem. They can protest on their own time. I protest them by refusing to watch any game where a player disrespects our national anthem, which disrespects means they are disrespecting the nation and our armed forces.
I believe in their right to protest. I also believe in my right to boycott them if they do it during a game.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Kaepernick is just not good enough for a team to put up with the distractions. That said, the constant hot-dogging after every play irritates me more than him protesting. And it is hard to listen to Fox's main games with that horrible crew of Buck-Aikman. They have a man-crush on several players and the constant fawning gets old. Same reason I quit watching the World Series.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Kaepernick is just not good enough for a team to put up with the distractions. That said, the constant hot-dogging after every play irritates me more than him protesting. And it is hard to listen to Fox's main games with that horrible crew of Buck-Aikman. They have a man-crush on several players and the constant fawning gets old. Same reason I quit watching the World Series.
This. His talent level is a 5, but his distraction level is a 9. That's not worth it for any NFL team at this time.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have to agree. Celebrating because they made a tackle after allowing a gain? It's their job to make the tackle...
They caught the ball celebration. It's their job to catch the ball.

I actually found Madden to be the most annoying commentator. He was a master of stating the absolute obvious.
I don't mind Buck/ Aikman .

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
The small percentage of people who didn't watch a game due to the anthem is a fart in the wind for the NFL viewership. The NFL is the most lucrative sport on planet earth, generating over $13B in 2016.

Nobody cares about the anthem, At least, not enough people for it to even be a blip on the radar. most fans watch football because they like football. Sports are a break from real life, a chance to get away from politics and the seriousness of real life. Most people (regardless of which side of the Kaepernick issue they're on), dont' care.

Again....Thirteen billion dollars generated for the NFL in 2016. #1 sport on the planet. Tens of millions of people watch NFL games every week. The NFL definitely isn't suffering from a few thousand people who refuse to watch NFL games due to the anthem issue over the last week.

And anybody who says they refuse to watch a football game because of the pre-game ceremony probably isn't a very big football fan to begin with.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
The small percentage of people who didn't watch a game due to the anthem is a fart in the wind for the NFL viewership. The NFL is the most lucrative sport on planet earth, generating over $13B in 2016.

Nobody cares about the anthem, At least, not enough people for it to even be a blip on the radar. most fans watch football because they like football. Sports are a break from real life, a chance to get away from politics and the seriousness of real life. Most people (regardless of which side of the Kaepernick issue they're on), dont' care.

Again....Thirteen billion dollars generated for the NFL in 2016. #1 sport on the planet. Tens of millions of people watch NFL games every week. The NFL definitely isn't suffering from a few thousand people who refuse to watch NFL games due to the anthem issue over the last week.

And anybody who says they refuse to watch a football game because of the pre-game ceremony probably isn't a very big football fan to begin with.
Actually soccer is bigger outside the US and overall.
Its more than a few people not watching. Whatever the reason, it appears more a bouncy blip than a collapse. First numbers appear down again from last year's decrease. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies