Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm congress (both houses) need him (or any potus) ...he is the final vote..he/she will sign or veto and bills submitted to the WH.....
Actually..no.
If..is a big if..a bill is passed and vetoed--60 senators can override--and the bill becomes law.

The House and the Senate can run this country..believe it or not.

Read the constitution some time..and see just how limited the POTUS' expressed powers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
i would add that his big plan to get rid of ISIS still has not materialized. What about rebuilding infrastructure. All talk no action.
Well, not just talk--there are also those ever-popular theme weeks. Lol.

'Infrastructure Week,' 'Made in America Week,' 'Work Force Development Week,' 'Technology Week' --

And oh yeah, then there was 'Deflect From Russia Week', 'Blame Obama Week', ''Bash Sessions Week,' 'Staff Turnover and Reset Week.'

Next up-- 'Get ISIS Week'

Old 07-29-2017, 01:42 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The Rino's have made the GOP into the Goof Off Party..GOP won't get anything done. McCain is a anti Trump Jealous Rino.
The teabaggers have amounted to nothing much. They came in with nothing but "Hell, no!" for plans, and that's no plan at all.

Both parties have deep problems; the Dems rotted from the roots up, and the Repubs rotted from the top down.

Only time will tell which direction is the worst. Neither has been real swell for the nation lately.

McCain? He's not the problem. He's not even relevant to the problem.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
When will his supporters realize that TrumpPutin just cares only about himself and his ego?
I wouldn't doubt it if he wraps himself at night in bed sheets printed with the 2016 Electoral College map.
LOL. I can totally picture that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Only if the people revolt. Revolution would be, for example, 70% of voters actually casting a vote.

I think the show is pretty much over. The USA will survive but only in our own minds will we be "#1". The entire rest of the world is moving on...

Putin and China's leader have a higher worldwide approval rating than Trump (and America)....when the question is asked as to whether they are moving their countries forward. Merkels is off-the-charts.

I think Germany is the new head of the Western World and China of the world-in-general. If China is not there yet it will be within a few short years.

Heck, we can't even build a simple mid-speed rail line here. We can't do the basic health care other countries solved decades ago. We keep wasting more on fruitless wars...not even approved or declared by Congress.

We celebrate the Moochers on Wall Street which making it harder and harder for the average American

It sux. Of course, to some extent it always has but the Ideal has been there...and some headed toward those Ideals. Now it's just too obvious that Money is the Religion of America...and we are Fundamentalists in that religion.
I agree 100% with what you have said . I can't totally hate Wall Street because I have investments too but Wall Street shouldn't be running our country.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean, it's hard to alienate everyone in both parties and then expect them to work toward your legislative agenda.

I wouldn't if I were them.

What leverage does Trump have? IF he wants to accomplish any of his OWN agenda (if he still has one) - he is going to need Republicans and Democrats to make that happen.

Which ones of them has any incentive to work with him?

Absolutely. And he still needs them today to accomplish anything.
Its not a one way street. That's Trumps leverage.
Congress can only ram through what is veto proof.
Much of, or all really, what the GOP has produced will never go the Presidents desk for a signature.
If McConnell doesn't change the filibuster rule virtually nothing or at best very little will go into law.
Without a super majority the GOP majority means nothing. They are dead in the water.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:34 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Actually..no.
If..is a big if..a bill is passed and vetoed--60 senators can override--and the bill becomes law.

The House and the Senate can run this country..believe it or not.

Read the constitution some time..and see just how limited the POTUS' expressed powers are.
I think a veto override needs 2/3 of senators and 2/3 of US house votes in order to override. This would be at least 67 votes in the senate and ~270 in the house.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:11 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah, and what with some 40 bills passed, illegal immigration coming to a screeching halt, the stock market at an all time high, unemployment down to nearly record lows, housing sales up, GOP winning all contests, and money approved for The Wall maybe you Dems could take a few lessons on "how to get things done".

House approves spending bill with funds for Trump's border wall | TheHill

Illegal immigration coming to a screeching halt? Well lets ask those poor souls who baked to death in San Antonio after being packed like sheep to be smuggled into the country. Do you honestly believe that illegal immigration has stopped? Read about MS13 and how Trump's immigration policy may actually help MS13 recruit illegals. If you are illegal are you going to go to the police and report a MS13 gang member? If you're faced with either joining or dying or going to the police and being deported, which would you choose?

Those 41 bills passed were mostly roll backs on regulations that Obama had placed in effect. Some of the roll backs are disturbing. There has been zero major legislation passed. Who can pass anything with so much chaos and comings and going in the white house? In 6 months we lost a communications director, a press secretary, national security advisor, deputy national security advisor x2, the director of government ethics quit early out of frustration, an acting attorney general (Yates was fired for trying to advise Trump not to hire Flynn), a deputy white house chief of staff, a VP chief of staff, an FBI director and last but not least the recent chief of staff. Hmmm I wonder which position Sessions will wind up in so Trump can appoint a new yes man AG?

I think you need to do some research on who really controls the stock market. You're living in a fools paradise if you honestly believe that one man has the power to make the stock market rise to record levels in 6 months. That's laughable. Everything in business has it's cycles and Trump inherited an up cycle, but he's notorious good at taking credit for anything he can attach his brand to.

If your definition of chaos and collusion are how to get things done, then yep, he's done a lot.

What are the bills Donald Trump has signed? - CBS News

Old 07-29-2017, 10:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Never thought of Trump as a true Republican.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:20 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This week... GOPers Preibus and Spicer are out, Sessions is on Trump's hit list, Trump attacks and threatens GOP Congressmen, they fire back, and Trump brings in his own non-GOP crew. So now we have an independent Presidency with no friends in Congress. And you thought it couldn't get any more weird and dysfunctional.
How about an independent trump separated from the United States? Please???

Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
He never was a Republican. Check his earlier NY voter registration. He was a Manhattan Liberal Democrat. He was pro-abortion, pro-Planned Parenthood, pro gun control, partied with LGBT NYers.

He's a con man and he conned just enough uneducated people to win. Oh, how he loves the uneducated, a direct quote from President Bonkers.
He's neither liberal or conservative, neither Republican nor Democrat. If he had to claim to be a Muslim to win the office of power, he'd suddenly have a "conversion experience." He's a con-man, nothing more; independent of everyone's interests but his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies