Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:21 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

How Government Wrecked the Gas Can

Soap doesn’t work. Toilets don’t flush. Clothes washers don’t clean. Light bulbs don’t illuminate. Refrigerators break too soon. Paint discolors. Lawnmowers have to be hacked. It’s all caused by idiotic government regulations that are wrecking our lives one consumer product at a time, all in ways we hardly notice.

Who would make a can without a vent unless it was done under duress? After all, everyone knows to vent anything that pours. Otherwise, it doesn’t pour right and is likely to spill.

It took one quick search. The whole trend began in (wait for it) California. Regulations began in 2000, with the idea of preventing spillage. The notion spread and was picked up by the EPA, which is always looking for new and innovative ways to spread as much human misery as possible.

An ominous regulatory announcement from the EPA came in 2007: “Starting with containers manufactured in 2009… it is expected that the new cans will be built with a simple and inexpensive permeation barrier and new spouts that close automatically.”

The automatic closing mandate wiped out the legality of the vents. Now they don't pour right, or they can explode as the vapors build up inside.

Was the world going to end because a little gas spilled out of the vent on occasion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Those caps are stupid, you need to be like Houdini to work some of them and try holding a 5 gallon gas can in the air to fill a large lawnmower... takes forever. I know I have ended up spilling more gas with them that without them.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
https://www.amazon.com/YELLOW-Chilto...MPJRDC64GGQ97N

Old 07-30-2017, 02:29 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those caps are stupid, you need to be like Houdini to work some of them and try holding a 5 gallon gas can in the air to fill a large lawnmower... takes forever. I know I have ended up spilling more gas with them that without them.
Almost everything that is "new and improved", is actually worse. They give it a new label, touting the upgraded product, for the purpose of camouflaging the loss of quality. Most new versions of things have their quantity reduced also and the cost increased. I'll bet there was a price-hike on those new gas cans. I no longer use gasoline for anything, but I've still got a couple of old-fashioned cans (that work), just in case.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:31 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yep, have those and the normal spouts on all of mine. There is a special place in hell for the moron that mandated the new cans and spouts. You need 3 hands to get them to work at all, and they spill fuel all over. Only a government bureaucrat would screw up something so simple.

Lets hope that this is one more piece of EPA stupidity that Trump rolls back.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:06 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How Government Wrecked the Gas Can

Soap doesn’t work. Toilets don’t flush. Clothes washers don’t clean. Light bulbs don’t illuminate. Refrigerators break too soon. Paint discolors. Lawnmowers have to be hacked. It’s all caused by idiotic government regulations that are wrecking our lives one consumer product at a time, all in ways we hardly notice.

Who would make a can without a vent unless it was done under duress? After all, everyone knows to vent anything that pours. Otherwise, it doesn’t pour right and is likely to spill.

It took one quick search. The whole trend began in (wait for it) California. Regulations began in 2000, with the idea of preventing spillage. The notion spread and was picked up by the EPA, which is always looking for new and innovative ways to spread as much human misery as possible.

An ominous regulatory announcement from the EPA came in 2007: “Starting with containers manufactured in 2009… it is expected that the new cans will be built with a simple and inexpensive permeation barrier and new spouts that close automatically.”

The automatic closing mandate wiped out the legality of the vents. Now they don't pour right, or they can explode as the vapors build up inside.

Was the world going to end because a little gas spilled out of the vent on occasion?
Reminds of the federal MANDATE to put a label on ALL lawnmowers, "Do not put hands under the mower while it is running"

My last new car along with the user's manual has book BIGGER, with all the "safety" regulations, which I doubt anyone reads.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
We get customers all the time asking if we carry any of the old style nozzles because they are fed up with the new ones. Just last week, we were putting gas into a car we just finished doing, and had to use one of those new nozzles. It would not dispense right, so we taped the trigger open so that we could actually use the damn thing.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I had this discussion with one of my (L) friends the other day. The state raised the gas tax like 4 cents the first of July. Prices went up 25 cents. Someone complained and he blamed it on the government.

I do not need to argue why this was NOT all on the governments shoulders. (the price went up the same across the river in another state and has since come back down 20 cents).

Yep, the government can come up with stupid regulations. No question about it. People trying to justify their positions but blaming refrigerators not lasting as long on the government? No, that's because they are made to be disposable now using cheap labor overseas.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
How about the mandated light bulbs? They are so dull, they are worthless.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:36 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
From my understanding, the spout on my gas can was redesigned to meet EPA standards too (probably the same or similar to what the others are disusing). Now it drips all over my hand and the ground as I'm fueling. Somehow I thing it's worse for the environment than the old Blitz spouts. Sadly, what the EPA doesn't close down, the lawsuits will.
Blitz USA Shuts Down, Lawsuit 'Abuse' Hammers Hometown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies