Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 AM

18,407 posts, read 7,032,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a liberal, yes, the immigration laws are stupid and need to be fixed. That way some immigrants could come in the right way and we wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

We need to fix immigration so that good people can get here by other means than marrying an American or being filthy rich. Currently, except for a lottery, those are basically the only ways. That's what's forcing people to come here illegally.

1. Fix the broken immigration system.

2. Look at allowing SOME illegals to stay--those who were born here or brought here as kids though no fault of their own. They did not break a law.

3. Deport everyone else who is here illegally. I don't care who they are, they are already criminals for breaking our immigration laws.

4. And hurry up because people are fed up. Sick and tired of losing jobs to illegals and fed up with a few people coming in LEGALLY while others sneak in.

What is "broken" about our current system?

Other than the fact that we don't enforce it?

I hate to tell you this, but it's not supposed to be easy to immigrate to America.

The notion that we're "forcing people to come here illegally" is possibly one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,992,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read the law. It's not just aiding or abetting, it's harboring, encouraging/inducing, or aiding/abetting. Read the law

With regard to violations of 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(ii)-(iv) and (v)(ii), domestic transportation, harboring, encouraging/inducing, or aiding/abetting, the basic statutory maximum term of imprisonment is 5 years, unless the offense was committed for commercial advantage or private financial gain, in which case the maximum term of imprisonment is 10 years.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...1324a-offenses

And if you read the entire law, you'll see that the 5-10 years prison term is for EACH illegal alien

For mayors, police chiefs, etc., that could easily add up to a 100 year prison term, or more.
No one anyone has stopped a federal official from coming in and arresting those here illegally.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's not as easy as people think...
Yes it is. You don't pick the minority to argue against the majority. Most illegals are hired by companies paying taxes. The federal government isn't doing anything there.

This argument is exactly what the government wants. They do not want to address illegals. They want a political argument to raise money.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,506,241 times
If Goveners, mayors, judges, citizens etc do not follow the law of the land.....America is screwed.
And the screw is halfway in as it is.

I thank the current administration for attempting to take the screw all the way out!!!!

No one is stopping the Legal way of immigration policy.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,506,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Hahahaha. I can just imagine them cuffing up Mayor Goodman. Our mayor is a figurehead with zero power over police policy. Be careful though, the Goodman's have some friends.
I personally would hold a parade if they cuff our Govener. The guys is loco

Old 07-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How ironic that Piyush Jindal (his real name), the son of immigrants, is against immigrants. What a hypocrite, you can't make this stuff up.....
Lol...

You do know that this type of purposeful, yet weak obfuscation is one of the hundreds of reasons that Trump won the election.......right?

Nobody, and I mean not even Liberals themselves truly believe this nonsense.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
If Goveners, mayors, judges, citizens etc do not follow the law of the land.....America is screwed.
And the screw is halfway in as it is.
The law of the land is the Constitution and the courts have ruled over and over that immigration is up to the federal government to enforce. You know this but still, you will continue to refuse to hold them accountable over your politics.

I believe we need to enforce our borders but I believe we need to blame those who are dropping the ball. Why will you not hold them accountable?

Old 07-30-2017, 07:05 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,559,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The law of the land is the Constitution and the courts have ruled over and over that immigration is up to the federal government to enforce. You know this but still, you will continue to refuse to hold them accountable over your politics.

I believe we need to enforce our borders but I believe we need to blame those who are dropping the ball. Why will you not hold them accountable?
Simply because you care (deeply apparently) doesn't mean everyone else does. More than 50% of the population does not feel strongly about the issue. Perhaps it is a surprise to you but many of our immigrants are technically not here illegally. They simply have not had an immigration hearing - try Cubans, Hondurans, Salvadoreans, and some others that all qualify for Refugee status.

We as a country have spent 30 years letting in wave after wave of immigrants without so much as even token ICE enforcement. Now all at once we are going to round up and deport 11 million people ? It's not going to happen. As Trump said about Healthcare, once you give someone a thing, it is much harder to take it away. The country has stood by and let those millions settle and work and live without much issue. Employers have provided jobs without consequence. Congress has done nothing because they are polarized and afraid to tackle any controversial issues.

IF you want to do something start with your state with your local government along with your Federal Representatives - elect those that feel as you do. However don't expect every state to follow suit - that is how Democracy works.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Simply because you care (deeply apparently) doesn't mean everyone else does. More than 50% of the population does not feel strongly about the issue. Perhaps it is a surprise to you but many of our immigrants are technically not here illegally. They simply have not had an immigration hearing - try Cubans, Hondurans, Salvadoreans, and some others that all qualify for Refugee status.
The entire system is messed up, no question about that but my argument has little to do with what people want. What I am arguing is in the Constitution.

Quote:
We as a country have spent 30 years letting in wave after wave of immigrants without so much as even token ICE enforcement. Now all at once we are going to round up and deport 11 million people ? It's not going to happen. As Trump said about Healthcare, once you give someone a thing, it is much harder to take it away. The country has stood by and let those millions settle and work and live without much issue. Employers have provided jobs without consequence. Congress has done nothing because they are polarized and afraid to tackle any controversial issues.
There are probably more than 11 million and I've argued over and over that there is no way to round them all up, not to mention the money that would cost as everyone of those arrested get their day in court.

Quote:
IF you want to do something start with your state with your local government along with your Federal Representatives - elect those that feel as you do. However don't expect every state to follow suit - that is how Democracy works.
This is NOT a state and local government issue. It is a federal issue. Period.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The entire system is messed up, no question about that but my argument has little to do with what people want. What I am arguing is in the Constitution.

There are probably more than 11 million and I've argued over and over that there is no way to round them all up, not to mention the money that would cost as everyone of those arrested get their day in court.

This is NOT a state and local government issue. It is a federal issue. Period.

No one is suggesting that we "round them all up".

And there is a big difference between a city or state not wanting to spend the time and money on enforcement and actually actively hindering enforcement and refusing to cooperate with the federal government.

By announcing that they are a "sanctuary city" these mayors fall into the latter category.

But you already know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies