Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 04:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Other people's problems are not my problems.

And yours are definitely NOT my concern. Others who are actually decent human beings- I do want the best for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 04:40 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Actually all he has to do now is sit back and do nothing. That will prove the ACA is a failure. The insurance company bailouts (or bribes, depending on your view) appear to have expired. There is no provision to fund them (legally).
If you deprive your car of gasoline..is it the car's fault that it does not run? The ACA was designed with those risk subsidies in place.

Implicit in all these statements is the fact that the ACA could work...if some fixes were applied. The Right just doesn't want it to.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Actually all he has to do now is sit back and do nothing. That will prove the ACA is a failure. The insurance company bailouts (or bribes, depending on your view) appear to have expired. There is no provision to fund them (legally).
I take back what I said. Trump is talented at one thing, after all.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:44 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Congress will vote to fund them or risk a government shutdown.

Frankly, I'd be happy for them disappear and watch the Trump voters freak out.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:46 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Can he legally do that? Or is it just posturing? just wondering. I suppose if he actually couldn't do it leagally, and did it anyway, he could just pardon himself. Right?
The court ruled on the White House appeal for House vs Burwell in November 2016. Several states sued Obama back in 2014 on the grounds that the ACA subsidies were illegal and not appropriated by congress. They won the case and Obama lost the appeal in October. Then Trump got elected and the GOP had a change of heart and asked the court to delay their victory, I doubt that would be the case if Clinton was elected.

So here we are 6 months later, this is one of the cute things that Trump is doing to create instability in the market while claiming it's failing on it's own. If he wants the ACA to fail then he can just make up his mind and ask the courts to remove the temporary stay on the ruling, it's been 6 months so what is he waiting for.

Quote:
Perhaps Trump's easiest action — and the one that would produce the largest impact — would be to drop the administration's appeal of a lawsuit filed by Republican House members in 2014. That suit, House v. Burwell, charged that the Obama administration was unconstitutionally spending money that Congress hadn't formally appropriated, to reimburse health insurers who were providing coverage to working-poor policyholders — those earning between 100 and 250 percent of the federal poverty line.

By Dropping Appeal Of 'House v. Burwell', Trump Could Hobble Obamacare : Shots - Health News : NPR

Last edited by Goodnight; 07-29-2017 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 04:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I DARE him to.
It would cause MASSIVE problems for the health care system across the country with MILLIONS losing their coverage - and every one of those states that went Red this time would likely turn against the GOP. It would be a blood bath from them in the next election - and would probably lead to Single-Payer Medicare for All.

Ken
Not just coverage but access too, as hospitals and other facilities dependent on those payments close their doors.
People will lose their jobs all over the country.

But hey, it's what they voted for so...

Old 07-29-2017, 04:58 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Congress will vote to fund them or risk a government shutdown.

Frankly, I'd be happy for them disappear and watch the Trump voters freak out.
Actually that should have been the design from the start. Instead, BO resorted to stealing.

Let it be voted on as part of the budget, I will enjoy listening to Democrat excuses as to why the 4 years of subsidy wasn't enough to keep this garbage barge called Obamacare afloat.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:00 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I take back what I said. Trump is talented at one thing, after all.
In this case, it beats continuing to pay for this piece of junk called the ACA. But let the Democrats bring forth legislation to fund it out of the budget, along with an explanation as to why it's needed as it was supposed to be self-funded after 4 years.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Its great that the orange evangelical savior is championing Christian principles. Oh wait.....
He's an orange monkey championing the laws of the jungle.....

Old 07-29-2017, 05:03 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Is anyone surprised? This sort of hateful behavior is what his supporters wanted. It just didn’t occur to a good many of them that it might affect THEM.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies