Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Nope. Their children were not born enslaved. They were not bought and sold in vast slave markets where they were forced to strip and parade for their potential masters.
Many indentured servants never had the opportunity to have children simply because they were so worthless to their owners. They died from backbreaking work, or simply committed suicide. They sure were bought and sold in markets for their labor. And they had owners. The so-called indentured in the Caribbean from Ireland were living pure hellish lives. You are clearly glorifying the lives of indentured servants from Ireland, especially all the kidnapped ones, making it seem like some type of regular work contract. They were frequently commanded to work in conditions not fit for an African who had real value to their owners. And lets not forget the genocidal policies committed by the English against the Irish on the island either. The Irish language was almost wiped out as a result and to this day, the language is struggling to survive. The Irish were seen as subhuman Catholic scum for centuries by the English overlords. Thats not something that just popped up in the 1800s in America.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-30-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:21 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Many indentured servants never had the opportunity to have children simply because they were so worthless to their owners. They died from backbreaking work, or simply committed suicide. They sure were bought and sold in markets for their labor. And they had owners. The so-called indentured in the Caribbean from Ireland were living pure hellish lives. You are clearly glorifying the lives of indentured servants from Ireland, especially all the kidnapped ones, making it seem like some type of regular work contract. They were frequently commanded to work in conditions not fit for an African who had real value to their owners. And lets not forget the genocidal policies committed by the English against the Irish on the island either. The Irish language was almost wiped out as a result and to this day, the language is struggling to survive. The Irish were seen as subhuman Catholic scum for centuries by the English overlords. Thats not something that just popped up in the 1800s in America.
OK..you've got your narrative down---it's not the whole story..and it's not historically supportable as you present it, but who really cares? If you wish to cherry pick your data--is not my issue. Everything you say is true..but it was not the norm. The stories of kidnapping were exaggerated, IMO. You seem fixated on the Caribbean---what about North America, Australia?

The 2nd half of your statement has merit..but so? The English brutality towards the Irish is well known--how is it on topic?

I'll ask one more time--why does this issue matter/ Why is this particular subject brought up on CD..time and time again?

I think we all know the answer....

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
"Indenture" indicates some kind of agreement between servant and master that isn't present in a slave master situation. The agreement was usually for a set amount of time, and when the indenture was over, the servant was free to go on his way. Not so a slave.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
"Indenture" indicates some kind of agreement between servant and master that isn't present in a slave master situation. The agreement was usually for a set amount of time, and when the indenture was over, the servant was free to go on his way. Not so a slave.
Except, many had to pay back the loan it took to come over and they were paid so little that it was almost impossible to do that.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
You don't have much a memory, eh?

You posted this on March 18, 2017:

Irish: The forgotten white slaves

C'mon man!
Well, this explains a lot of the OP's posts.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Oh dear. I demand reparations too, lol.

My family worked in the mills six days a week in the North of England. Child labor and all, terrible working conditions. Got one day off per year: Christmas.

Reparations please.

And I have ancestors who were indentured servants. That means they got free transportation to this land in and returned the favor by working for the person who paid their way. Reparations please!

Some of the worst working conditions in existence were heaped upon working class English people during the Industrial Revolution. My English gt grandfather's invention was stolen by his factory owner employer because he was too poor to afford the patent.

Reparations coming for us? lol.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:47 AM

25,729 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I did not remember learning this. I am of Irish heritage, I demand reparations.

Articles: The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves in America
90% of America's history is conveniently forgotten by the progressives. Why do you think they have taken over the education system? It certainly isn't to teach the children that two plus two is five--because they CAN'T change that two plus two is four (although you can bet the would if they could).

What the progressives want is a self-loathing populace, which is easier to manipulate. They are counting on the "battered housewife syndrome" wherein the wife is beaten to within an inch of her life so often that she finally concludes it is her fault and that she deserves it.

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-30-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Except, many had to pay back the loan it took to come over and they were paid so little that it was almost impossible to do that.
I don't know of any particular situations.

A significant portion of the population of the colonies consisted of an indentured population. So much so that...

Quote:
Most of the colonies regulated the terms of indentured service, but the treatment of individual servants differed widely. Some were mistreated; others lived as members of a family. It was commonly required that they be provided with clothing, a gun, and a small tract of land upon which to establish themselves after their service ended. These requirements applied especially to those who were unwilling servants. There was no permanent stigma attached to indentured servitude, and the families of such persons merged readily with the total population. Children born to parents serving their indenture were free. Terms of an indenture were enforceable in the courts, and runaway servants could be compelled to return to their masters and complete their service, with additional periods added for the time they had been absent.
... from Encyclopedia .com

I can see how some mistake indentured servitude with slavery, especially with the last sentence above dealing with runaways; but one was a breech of contract situation and the other was, well, I don't know what the other was, legally.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
90% of America's history is conveniently forgotten by the progressives. Why do you think they have taken over the education system? It certainly isn't to teach the children that two plus two is five--because they CAN'T change that two plus two is four (although you can bet the would if they could).

What the progressives want is a self-loathing populace, which is easier to manipulate. They are counting on the "battered housewife" syndrome wherein the wife is beaten to within an inch of her life so often that she finally concludes it is her fault and that she deserves it.
History is written by the winners. I recently took a college American History course. It amazed me how much has been changed in the books since I was in high school in the 1960s. It is all sanitized history. Anything that showed the U.S. in a bad light, like the invasion of Hawaii or The massacre at Wounded Knee, has been eliminated.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't know of any particular situations.

A significant portion of the population of the colonies consisted of an indentured population. So much so that...

... from Encyclopedia .com

I can see how some mistake indentured servitude with slavery, especially with the last sentence above; but one was a breech of contract situation and the other was, well, I don't know what the other was, legally.
But indentured servants were not citizens, so they could NOT own land in some of the colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies