Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:13 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,784,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But indentured servants were not citizens, so they could NOT own land in some of the colonies.
That is a topic for another thread. The point was that it was typical that the indentured servants got something after their service ended. And to further the point, there was an end to their servitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:22 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,441,087 times
Quote:
History is written by the winners. I recently took a college American History course. It amazed me how much has been changed in the books since I was in high school in the 1960s. It is all sanitized history. Anything that showed the U.S. in a bad light, like the invasion of Hawaii or The massacre at Wounded Knee, has been eliminated.

Hmmm..always had problems with that statement--History books may be written by the winners..but History is. It simply exists. The truth, or a close approximation, is out there. I submit that you had a very bad American history class.

There are many books on the incidents you cited. Some with agendas...some without. Learning is a interactive thing..you bear the responsibility of discerning motive and bias.

This thread is a great example.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,267,298 times
Quote:
Many of the Irish were "indentured" and could never make enough to pay for their release.
Indenture contracts were fixed term (even for convicts). They were provided food, shelter and clothing per contract, not wages however. The indentured could buy back his contract at any time for the value on the contract. At the term of the contract the indentured was free to leave, may be offered employment, and may (depending on the terms of service) receive cash or goods as a remittance for the work performed.

So I don't know where you're getting couldn't pay for their release, or make enough, because being indentured they weren't paid (they were in debt for the costs that led to their indenture, their labor recouped the debt). Further they couldn't exactly provide labor to another employer, them being indentured. Finally the indenture contract was for a fixed term the indentured servant owed nothing at the end of the contract, that was kind of the point, they were paying their debt through labor.

It wasn't chattel slavery, it wasn't enlightened either. However it was completely different circumstances. A slave knew that they were enslaved for life without reprieve. An indentured servant knew they were bound for a fixed term. Practically (especially in the West Indies) this may have been de facto the same, but is significantly different at the time of agreement, of which Indentured Servants actually had to agree (again with a caveat of coerced agreement, like Press Ganging). Children of indentured servants were not indentured at birth or at all, children of slaves were also slaves and owned like their parents. Indentured servants had limited legal rights that protected them from the worst excesses, rape, maiming and murder being some that indentured servants had protection from (with the caveat of it did need reporting to authorities), slaves being property had no such protections, much like modern livestock (although depending on state law, modern livestock may have more protections).

While neither was especially civilized, the differences in the two systems make them light years apart.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:35 AM

46,932 posts, read 25,936,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
You don't have much a memory, eh?

You posted this on March 18, 2017:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-slaves-5.html

C'mon man!
Ah, y'know, Irish. Drunk as a Lord every morning by nine o'clock, and never a shoe to his name.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:37 AM

19,713 posts, read 10,092,550 times
Sorry, but indentured servants had the expenses for their keep taken out of their "wages", meaning it took some many years to get their voyage paid off.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,976,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I did not remember learning this. I am of Irish heritage, I demand reparations.

Articles: The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves in America
Watch any BBC historical drama and you know this -- lol.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:39 AM

19,713 posts, read 10,092,550 times
Quote:
Hmmm..always had problems with that statement--History books may be written by the winners..but History is. It simply exists. The truth, or a close approximation, is out there. I submit that you had a very bad American history class.

There are many books on the incidents you cited. Some with agendas...some without. Learning is a interactive thing..you bear the responsibility of discerning motive and bias.

This thread is a great example.
Most of the current American History books used in high school and college omit a lot of stuff. Especially bad things that our country did.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,949,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
That is a topic for another thread. The point was that it was typical that the indentured servants got something after their service ended. And to further the point, there was an end to their servitude.
The end was often death in the Caribbean colonies. Since they were cheap compared to slaves and were worthless at the end of the contract, usually 10 years, the owners had no incentive to treat them well and every incentive to work them to their deaths before the contract was up.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:06 AM

15,516 posts, read 10,477,612 times
I don't really consider an indentured servant a slave. I'm certain it wasn't always "nice", but after x amount of years, they were able to move on. I've seen some dodgy records in the Caribbean, but nothing much in the states.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 AM

33,524 posts, read 18,119,846 times
Quote:
Well...we agree on that much, anyway.

Perhaps you might try..reading the article?
I did.. didn't debunk anything.. mistreatment, beaten.. Oh,, but they were not slaves.. what a crock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies