Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
If you can't see a difference between vacations and kinky sex then there's no point in me trying to convince you that there is one is there?
Does it become a right if its not kinky?

Both are luxuries. I have no "right" to anything other than to be left alone. I see no reason why paid vacation is a right. I see no reason why an employer should have to pay for work not being performed unless s/he agree with the employee beforehand that it would be a side benefit.

Basically all you have argued is that it is a "right" without any justification for it other than "it would be nice" and other places do it.

I think that the employer or the government giving out sex with the attractive is far more justifiable as a right. After all, vacations are new and not everyone likes them (many Type A personalities for instance), but sex is a biological urge and I see no reason why employers shouldn't offer screwing as a side benefit. It is my right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Why not? It is in most (if not all?) other first world countries. Why not here? Is 'the family' less important here?
Would you care to list which other first world countries they are, the terms of the leave, etc. and then maybe we could discuss their individual cultures and economies?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Why not? It is in most (if not all?) other first world countries. Why not here? Is 'the family' less important here?
BECAUSE - in the United States, we favor letting PEOPLE make their own decisions versus having the GOVERNMENT mandate what we do.

It is called - FREEDOM

Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

418 posts, read 564,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BECAUSE - in the United States, we favor letting PEOPLE make their own decisions versus having the GOVERNMENT mandate what we do.

It is called - FREEDOM
Yeah right... "freedom". Federal, state, estate etc.(how many are they?) tax. When you combine all these with premiums, costs for Uni, daycare etc.

IT can turn out more than 100% tax for an average family... that is, DEBT. Is it any wonder there are so many problems with debt?

The problem with your decisions is, that you are already "paying someting for nothing".

Am i really free to decide how much taxes i'll pay, to support balooning prison population?

Property taxes will once again probably hike... we'll "bear" the costs of this crysis. Abandoned properties could turn into slums, and minus on account is more taxes for everyone.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Would you care to list which other first world countries they are, the terms of the leave, etc. and then maybe we could discuss their individual cultures and economies?

Not really - but you are welcome to and then we can discuss.
The UK mandates 26 weeks maternity leave. With a further 26 weeks available under some circumstances. Not sure how the pay works, I'm not certain the it is full pay or half.

Bibit when you've looked up the other countries rules and regulations we can discuss whatever you want.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
Yeah right... "freedom". Federal, state, estate etc.(how many are they?) tax. When you combine all these with premiums, costs for Uni, daycare etc.
Tax versus mandates

Apples and oranges

The discussion going on is, should the government MANDATE paid vacations and/or maternity

Perhaps you could try to stay on topic?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The problem with your decisions is, that you are already "paying someting for nothing".

Am i really free to decide how much taxes i'll pay, to support balooning prison population?

Property taxes will once again probably hike... we'll "bear" the costs of this crysis. Abandoned properties could turn into slums, and minus on account is more taxes for everyone.
Sorry but, my taxes? I know where they are going. I'm sorry you don't

I support new prisions. I support the schools my taxes go towards.

And, my property taxes are low - so, I have no complaints.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The UK mandates 26 weeks maternity leave.
26 weeks paid maternity leave?

Baulderdash

Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM

418 posts, read 564,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry but, my taxes? I know where they are going. I'm sorry you don't

I support new prisions. I support the schools my taxes go towards.

And, my property taxes are low - so, I have no complaints.
You support new prisons, yet you don't care if people die because they can't pay HI...?

Honestly, i don't know where they're going.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You support new prisons, yet you don't care if people die because they can't pay HI...?
Excuse me? That is a load of crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies