Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:46 AM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Um, Bill Gates CURRENTLY lives in Medina. Not Seattle. He has lived there for decades.
Do you think he misses out on Seattle's business and cultural attractions? No. Neither will anyone else who moves just outside Seattle's city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I am used to it, and have adjusted. Funny how these liberal areas do have millions of people commuting in every workday.
Yeah, I remember well coming down the hill out of San Clamente heading north on I-5 and suddenly hitting the mass of traffic moving at a snails pace. It was wonderful (sarcasm).

Even in San Diego (where we lived until 1993) the congestion was becoming unbearable. Who wants to spend hours on the road just getting to and from work? For what? So happy we left! I don't miss it at all. The only thing I do miss is our beautiful house that we left behind. But I love living in the country now ...no noise, no traffic, lots of green trees and grass, birds singing, a large garden and SPACE! I don't look out the window into my neighbors bedroom (which was six feet away). We have 11 acres here and our property taxes are a mere fraction of what we were paying in San Diego. Plus, gasoline right now is only $2.16/gal.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:50 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why isn't everyone else required to pay "their fair share?"
Because they don't have the same money. Why would I tax a poor person the same as a rich person? Makes zero sense.
Quote:
This is only for people earning over $250K (which really isn't all that much for the area). Who determines what their "fair share is?"
Putting aside the fact that 250k is a nice household income, even in Seattle, that's the role of govt. obviously. Who else should determine income cutoffs? Charlie Sheen? Kid Rock?
Quote:
Why is someone a "jerk" if they object to taxes?
Because we live in a civilized society, and in a civilized society people have to pay taxes. These people made their money only because they live in a civilized society, and there are responsibilities that come with wealth.
Quote:
Why should anybody be willing to fork over their money to liberals who want to spend it on their pet 'causes,' which keep growing in number and cost?
Because they care about their families and community? Seattle is a progressive town. If you're wealthy and hate the govt. and taxes and think everyone is "liberal" you probably aren't living in Seattle anyways.
Quote:
How do you know what may or may not be a burden on someone?
I don't understand this question. You're arguing that someone in the top 1% of the richest country on the planet can't afford an additional 1% income tax? They're like in the top .001% of the planet.

Are you arguing against all taxes and fees? Just run things like Mad Max?

If they REALLY can't afford a few grand, then they are horrible money managers and will be poor in due time, so problem solved. They won't have to pay the tax anyways once they leave the 1%.
Quote:
Typical liberal logic: You should pay more for the privilege of living in such a place.
Who knew that Econ 101: supply and demand was "liberal logic"? I guess people in Manhattan and Beverly Hills and the Hamptons should pay the same as people in Papua New Guinea, Haiti, or Outer Mongolia just because you say so.
Quote:
Is it for you to decide what won't affect their 'lifestyle?'
Yes. This is the govt. role. If you don't like it, you can move somewhere like Somalia, which has no central govt. and no taxing authority. Problem solved.
Quote:
I know of a lot of wealthy people who left New York because of the high taxes, so not everyone is as "happy to pay more" as you claim.
NYC had even higher income taxes in the past, so this makes so sense. They left NYC because their taxes were dropping? Also, NYC has never had more rich than right now, so we know this isn't true.
Quote:
Now that would depend on how the city manages it's money, would it not? There are cities going bankrupt because of poor money management.
Yes, but has nothing to do with anything. Cities can be good or poor managers regardless of income tax.
Quote:
Your arguments are flawed, but typical of Leftists who love to spend other peoples money.
The idea that I'm a "leftist" because I think wealthy people should pay some minimal income tax, is hilarious at face value. Apparently anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun would be "leftist" in your book.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
250K a year in Seattle is not "rich".
Exactly.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 AM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I was in Seattle a few months ago. A two topping pizza was $46. Enjoy!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your source the "American Thinker" is financed by large corporations that desire corporate deregulation and CEO tax cuts. But real world sources paint a different picture of Seattle.

In rankings of jobs, wage growth and number of high-tech industries Seattle ranks #10 compared to all the cities in America.
Ranking Seattle against America’s top city economies | The Seattle Times

In regards to the best places to live in America Seattle ranks #6.
Seattle No. 6 in new ranking of best places to live in U.S. | The Seattle Times

In national rankings of highest median household income Seattle ranks #1 with an average income of $80,349.
$80,000 median: Income gain in Seattle far outpaces other cities | The Seattle Times

And since 2010 Seattle has had a falling unemployment rate, and today Seattle has a 2.8% unemployment rate.
Seattle Unemployment Rate Matches All-Time 2.8% Low - The Big Picture
American Thinker only published the story for the writer. It is not "the source." I have a writer friend who lives in New York. Her articles are also published by American Thinker as well as other places.

As for the rest of your post: So what?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I was in Seattle a few months ago. A two topping pizza was $46. Enjoy!
Yeah, sure, we believe you. A two-topping pizza is $46...

I'm betting 100% of the people commenting in this thread about the supposed injustice of a city income tax live in Palookavilles where there is no danger of such a tax. Additionally, I bet these people barely even set foot in these major cities.

So problem solved. People who prefer the glories of rural Alabama or wherever, are happy, and those living in NYC, Seattle and the like are happy.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 AM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why would I tax a poor person the same as a rich person?
Because they're getting the exact same (if not more, e.g. means-tested public assistance wealth transfers) access to government services/benefits.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 AM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
leave the trailer park and go visit Seattle.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because they're getting the exact same (if not more, e.g. means-tested public assistance wealth transfers) access to government services/benefits.
You don't tax someone based on what they're getting out of it. That has nothing to do with taxation.

You would kill people when they retire, and become tax burdens? You would kill the handicapped? You expect a bum on the streets to give back the same as Bill Gates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies