Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Because... we are?

From the point that the constitution was ratified, huge portions of our population grew from immigrants from Germany, Italy, Ireland, as well as various other nations. Entire towns in the US have populations that are historically immigrants. I can drive for 45 minutes and find a town with a rich Dutch cultural heiritage.

We are a nation of immigrants. That's true, no matter what your stance on immigration in 2017 is.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Staaaaaaahp!!! Just quit. That's a lie. Period.

Less entitled? Really? LMAO...they demanded that land be taken away from Indians and distributed to them!!! That's not entitlement? Please.

And many that immigrated to the South bought slaves to do their work instead of doing it themselves. That's not entitlement?

Speak English? That's a fantasy. Many if not most lived in ethnic enclaves where they didn't even NEED English!

Yeah, I'll concede that the grandchildren often became assimilated, but the first few generations on average? Nahhhh! Didn't happen.

No, I don't know that. You're simply dead ass wrong.

This argument has nothing to do with entitlements. That's irrelevant.

European immigrants were extremely slow to give up their cultures and languages and assimilate into the broader American society. That's a fact.

And again, as Pat Buchanan has pointed out, the Irish were among the worst.

Hey Bruce Cutler...read the post below .....

And next time, let people defend their own words.

African Americans are exempt. We do what we want. That's our right since we aren't immigrants.

I'll let Indians and Hispanics defend themselves.
You need to post an address where all us that don't agree with you, but feel sorry for you can send our reparations checks. Don't hold your breath on my account.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
My ancestry isn't immigrant either. They were overwhelmingly descended from British subjects before the US was created.

But it doesn't really matter under what status your ancestry came here. It's whether you assimilate cohesively or not. Some groups and immigrants beginning in the mid 20th century do not.
We do what we want. We aren't subject to your assimilationist nonsense.

Find another group to bully. You already know that we're uncooperative, and we'll remain so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You need to post an address where all us that don't agree with you, but feel sorry for you can send our reparations checks. Don't hold your breath on my account.
Pfffft...you don't own anything worth me having. You're not in a position to remunerate me regardless.

Besides, send you my address for what? LMAO...that's funny. If I wanted anything from you, I'd could just pat your pockets and take it. GTHOH.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Leftists famously claim whenever the argument of illegal immigration comes up that "we are an nation of immigrants," and they use that argument to justify their support for unlimited immigration. Anybody should be allowed to come here that wants to.

Where dose this notion that "we are a nation of immigrants" come from? In fact, we have always limited immigration to people who could directly benefit our country. We have always made it a requirement that they learn English, and assimilate into our culture, and that's what most immigrants in the past wanted to do. They wanted to become Americans. That isn't true anymore. Why should we allow people who are not interested in becoming Americans into our country?

[This was supposed to by posted under Immigration]
Why don't you ask your Conservative God Ronald Reagan why he gave AMNESTY to 3 MILLION ILLEGALS in the 1980's and then when the GOP had control of Congress again during DUBYA's tenure they also failed to pass any IMMIGRATION reform?

Probably the same reason they can't repeal ObamaCare! They are beholden to corporate America & special interests......in other words $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !

Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
"We"? I have to ask --- Did you move from Canada to the US recently?
I grew up in America and have dual citizenship plus many friends and relatives residing there,what goes on in the USA still is important to me.Its also noteworthy that the Canadian media is also Trump 24/7 so its only natural we comment on issues of the day.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 AM

981 posts, read 899,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice story.

Look, the romanticizing of European immigration was something that people got away with for years, but its bunk and everyone should know better by now. Europeans came to this country and held onto their languages and cultures with a death grip. You don't get 1000 German language newspapers because people are assimilating. Newspapers are in the advertising businesses, which means that there was a huge audience of people that didn't want to just read stories in their native languages, but they wanted their ads to be in their native languages too. That's NOT assimilating.

No less than Pat Buchanan has pointed out in books (in his case, A Republic, Not an Empire) that European immigrants were so beholden and loyal to their home countries that they placed the priorities of their mother countries OVER the priorities of the United States for decades, and this hampered US foreign policy time and time again. The Irish Lobbies were notoriously bad about this, and it crippled relations with Britain in times when we needed a coherent foreign policy. That's not assimilating.

And before you say that the Irish were the only example of this, don't waste your time. They weren't. Not by a long shot. Ethnic European minorities in this country were constant sources of trouble when it came to foreign policy, and the priorities of their new country were always held hostage to this.

So yeah, after a few generations, sure they spoke English and gradually melded into the greater society at large, but that took decades...there was no immediacy or urgency about it.

If anything, the Spanish speaking immigrants are assimilating FASTER than the Europeans did.
Then why do we have all these bi lingual assistance laws (e.g., for voting) put in place in 1975, primarily to support an influx of immigrants from Latin America, if the Spanish speaking immigrants are assimilating faster than other immigrant groups? OK maybe one could make a case it was helpful when they first arrived in large numbers but that wouldnt explain why bi lingual support in public places and processes has increased significantly since that time.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Leftists famously claim whenever the argument of illegal immigration comes up that "we are an nation of immigrants," and they use that argument to justify their support for unlimited immigration. Anybody should be allowed to come here that wants to.

Where dose this notion that "we are a nation of immigrants" come from? In fact, we have always limited immigration to people who could directly benefit our country. We have always made it a requirement that they learn English, and assimilate into our culture, and that's what most immigrants in the past wanted to do. They wanted to become Americans. That isn't true anymore. Why should we allow people who are not interested in becoming Americans into our country?

What was the size of your leftist demographic in your study of the topics assumption?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:

Are you Native American? Otherwise, you are a descendant of a recent immigrant.

If you live in the New World and have no Indian ancestry, then yes, you are an immigrant. And since the US is only about 1.5% Indian, that means that 98.5% of Americans descend from Asian/African/Euro immigration.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Then why do we have all these bi lingual assistance laws (e.g., for voting) put in place in 1975, primarily to support an influx of immigrants from Latin America, if the Spanish speaking immigrants are assimilating faster than other immigrant groups? OK maybe one could make a case it was helpful when they first arrived in large numbers but that wouldnt explain why bi lingual support in public places and processes has increased significantly since that time.
The availability of bilingual services means nothing relative to assimilating.

Having 1000 German newspapers is actually MORE indicative of NOT being willing to assimilate.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Bona-fide manafest destiny thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies