Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM

57,224 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Amazing that this is the America, seems almost 3rd worldly. I have seen these health fairs before in areas around Appalachia with a few thousand people waiting to get a tooth pulled or really basic medical care.

Quote:
The Remote Area Medical Expedition, held at a county fairground in Appalachia over three days ending Sunday, drew more than 2,000 people who endured high heat and long waits for basic health services. It was a dispiriting reminder that as Congress flails around for health plans that could cost millions of people their insurance, many more don’t have much or any insurance or access to medical care to lose
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/u...cans.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
And this state (WV) has the highest approval for Trump. I bet you the vast majority of these folks voted Trump.

So the poorest, unhealthiest, most desperate state supports a guy who basically wants to kill them.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Amazing that this is the America, seems almost 3rd worldly. I have seen these health fairs before in areas around Appalachia with a few thousand people waiting to get a tooth pulled or really basic medical care.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/u...cans.html?_r=0
Do these people have access to expanded Medicaid? No? Then they most likely voted for their situation.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:33 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And this state (WV) has the highest approval for Trump. I bet you the vast majority of these folks voted Trump.

So the poorest, unhealthiest, most desperate state supports a guy who basically wants to kill them.
They're close to the WV border, yeah... but this is in Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Do these people have access to expanded Medicaid? No? Then they most likely voted for their situation.
Nope. Virginia did not expand Medicaid.

And I think the saddest part of it... is that these people tend to blame Democrats for their lack of health care and insurance. They become ostriches when you point out that the Republicans in control of Virginia's General Assembly are the ones that blocked the very Medicaid expansion that would have helped them. And why it's sad? Because they continue voting for Republicans because of that ignorance.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
The USA is third world-ish in many ways. Texas has the highest mother mortality rate of all developed nations.

The appellation mountain area to me is like Afghanistan or something. !

Old 07-31-2017, 05:39 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
How can this be? Obamacare was supposed to fix all our health care issues. Bamma is the messiah and his plan brings everything to everyone.

To rational people...the OPs story is one more example of the utter failure of Obamacare, and demonstrates exactly why we need to replace it with a better plan. But to hard core libbies...I guess this is how they like to see things.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 PM

57,224 posts, read 26,172,300 times
I understand why people in these areas voted for Trump, they feel overlooked by the democrats but this will only get worse if the ACA or subsidies are taken away. So what's the answer in areas like this wher people have low income or job opportunities.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Just like the sheep in a pasture trust the rancher, until a certain day comes.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
That reminds me of the village medical work that the Canadian army did in Afghanistan.

That Americans are reduced to such humiliating conditions is downright eye opening.

The "greatest country " ? Not .

xxx.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 PM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Shirley Akers, 58, clutched a list of 20 medications she takes, before settling down to a sleepless night in the cab of a pickup truck."

How did she get the 20 medications if there is no available health care?

" The bodies of the visitors told the story. They came in wheelchairs pushed by overweight children. Some carried portable oxygen."

As above, how did they obtain portable oxygen and wheelchairs if there's no healthcare?

“We’re sicker here than in Central America,” said Dr. Smiddy, who has volunteered on charity health trips there. “In Central America, they’re eating beans and rice and walking everywhere. They’re not drinking Mountain Dew and eating candy. They’re not having an epidemic of obesity and diabetes and lung cancer.”"

Well heck, please tell the illegals we are deporting to Central America from whence they came that they are fortunate to be returning to a healthier land of beans, rice and walking everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies