Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 02:08 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How about all admissions are blind?

No names attached. No names of schools attended prior (for undergrad students, of course because the high school you attended should not matter).

Just scores and grades and extracurriculars that might apply and student essays that must be submitted without any mention of gender, race, ethnicity, or social standing.

That would work very well. Let's see who gets in then.
I agree with this. Everyone should be assigned a number with which they apply to the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Already posted here:

"By default, minorities in medical school and law school were stigmatized. It was awful. Plus the policy itself is flawed."

Same was true in engineering at University of Michigan when I attended in 80's. More importantly it meant in industry when I graduated I gave a small test to all job applicants. The only one who failed miserably was a minority applicant who highly objected that I devised a test to screen applicants.

I was supposed to believe they were qualified as an engineer because they got a degree.

So discrimination hurts all minorities even after graduation because they are viewed and confirmed by people like me to be more likely to be less qualified and have a bogus degree.

Minorities frequently wonder why on the job they are viewed more skeptically. It is specifically because of programs of affirmative action that less qualified people are given degrees. That can lead to big consequences when life and death matters are on the line.

Last edited by pbmaise; 08-02-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
https://www.city-journal.org/html/fe...ply-14180.html

Is it justifiable to blatantly discriminate against Asians on admission to college due to "Asian Privilege?"
Schools don't admit based on test scores alone. This is an argument crafted to ignore the work admissions offices nationwide are actually doing in favor of finding a talking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
AA by definition is racist. Those who support it are racist as well as sexist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Incorrect. Racism and sexism are wrong...PERIOD.

Do you agree or disagree?
Whatever school you went to apparently let you graduate without developing an important skill: critical thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
If the Trump wants to eliminate AA, then he should just as aggressively eliminate legacy admissions, of which he was one.
And his children, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Which is partly why the college drop out rate is so high for Black students & graduation rates so low.

I read an interesting article in the local paper where Black students (poor Black students more specifically) were angry with the local public high schools for letting them graduate unprepared.

Pre-graduation testing has been eliminated to raise graduation rates for Black students. Discipline has virtually been eliminated for Black students. Homework has been eliminated or virtually eliminated in order to give the appearance of equality & help poor Black graduate. Entrance requirements to college have been relaxed to let unqualified Black students in.

What are the results? These inner-city Black students were angry that they'd been given their diplomas and sent off to college, being told they were qualified. Once on campus, they had to do placement tests and the average Black student from our school district was 2.5 years away from ever earning a college credit that counted towards graduation. While the other students took their Freshmen & Sophomore requirements, the Black inner city kids were stuck taking remedial classes. They were also required to turn in homework now, study for tests & behave themselves. They became frustrated, embarrassed & eventually far too many dropped out because they saw it as hopeless. Now, they've dropped out, have student loan debt they can never repay, have no degree & no real job prospects.

The PC educational & Affirmative Action policies helped no one but well-off, White school administrators & corporate bankers who got to sink their teeth into these unqualified students for loans.
I think that Admissions offices are more qualified to judge which students are qualified than Mason3000.

By the way, colleges don't have homework. Papers, reading, problem sets, lab reports: sure. Homework: nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I agree with this. Everyone should be assigned a number with which they apply to the schools.
Or how about we let colleges design their admissions policies as they choose?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:24 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, you know the ones who take those cheap Kaplan and Princeton classes, not the ones I'm talking about that cost thousands of dollars.
Go ahead and waste your money, but like I said... they don't guarantee a certain score. They only guarantee an increase. And your son will have to take the test before the program to establish a baseline. Then, he'll take it again afterwards. ACT/SAT sends colleges the scores from all the testing dates, so if there's more than a nominal difference, they'll know he's trying to game the system by buying a higher score.

Additionally, as I've said... If your son has unimpressive grades, it's pointless to chase after a high test score. Colleges perceive that as deliberate underachievement.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Already posted here:

"By default, minorities in medical school and law school were stigmatized. It was awful. Plus the policy itself is flawed."

Same was true in engineering at University of Michigan when I attended in 80's. More importantly it meant in industry when I graduated I gave a small test to all job applicants. The only one who failed miserably was a minority applicant who highly objected that I devised a test to screen applicants.

I was supposed to believe they were qualified as an engineer because they got a degree.

So discrimination hurts all minorities even after graduation because they are viewed and confirmed by people like me to be more likely to be less qualified and have a bogus degree.
I feel like even if affirmative action were rid of, there would still be many who look down on Blacks. AA is just another excuse used. Compared to most groups, Blacks (especially men) are often the most looked down on group in the USA. Being thought of as an "affirmative action" candidate is definitely happening to some Blacks. At the same time, I get the feeling that Blacks would still have to deal with discrimination even with that stigma not being there.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:29 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I gave you the definition of racism.

Affirmative Action is not racism....

It makes no remarks regarding the inferiority or superiority of any group of people based on physical characteristics.
Agreed, People these days don't understand the definition of racism. Same when we hear about racist cops, racism in housing, racism in hiring, etc. Like affirmative action, it's racial bias, not racism.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:31 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So, then, are we going to 1) emphasize class, and 2) improve those schools in poor neighborhoods, so that those in those neighborhoods can get a shot at doing well on the SAT's.....!

I think I know the answer.....!
1) 99% of so-called racism, is actually class-ism.

2) The schools are only as good as the parents of the children they're asked to educate. Once these students are expected to compete on a level playing field in terms of grades, homework, attendance & behavior, then they'll have a chance to score well on the SAT's.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
The University of Michigan, when I attended, created an entire imaginary field of engineering called "Environmental Engineering". The sole purpose was to have a very easy degree to allow more minority students to get an engineering degree and so the Engineering School could point to having minority graduates.

0% of the students that graduated with Chemical Engineering degrees were minority in 1984. Yet the school boasted 10% minority graduates with an engineering degree in the overall school.

Guess which degree most minority students got.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Qualified minorities would have been rejected if not for affirmative action. Just as the government had to force desegregation, it had to force universities to admit qualified students of color. Racist whites caused affirmative action and anyone who acts is though they did not is in denial of their own prejudice.

Talk to me when you are in favor of removing ALL racial identification in college admission period and throughout society on a whole.
Yes, AA is racist. What's your point?

And I'm 100% in favor of merit-based institutions.

See how easy that is?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then you should also complain when White women benefit from affirmative action. I will take it serious when people complain about EVERYBODY who benefits from AA, legacies, and having someone buy their way into acceptance.
I specifically complained about women getting AA.

Sorry.

AA is racist and sexist.

We all know it. If you support it, you are racist and sexist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies