Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Sixteen years of war...someone is not doing something right, and it sure as hell is not the military...

However, in my opinion, there are plenty of flag rank "political" military leaders that would not mind having perpetual wars...It serves their interests well at the flag rank and after their retirement, as well as setting up future flag rank leaders.

It is the evolution of the MIL. It went from the Cold War, to now ensuring the US is in some sort of constant warfare. At least they are bring back the boogeyman (Russia) to assist with DOD budget justifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So he is meeting expectations. I expected Obama to get us out.
I didn't. I hoped it though.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sixteen years of war...someone is not doing something right, and it sure as hell is not the military...

However, in my opinion, there are plenty of flag rank "political" military leaders that would not mind having perpetual wars...It serves their interests well at the flag rank and after their retirement, as well as setting up future flag rank leaders.

It is the evolution of the MIL. It went from the Cold War, to now ensuring the US is in some sort of constant warfare. At least they are bring back the boogeyman (Russia) to assist with DOD budget justifications.
Yeah, my mother in law does that too; the boogeyman thingy.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Sadly, both sides are liars. When Obama was campaigning back in 08 against Hillary in the primaries, he brought up the obvious biggest failure to the American people, and that was Nafta. I don't recall if Obama was going to do anything about it, but I'm sure people were hoping he would do something to overturn the horrible trade deal. Then he would challenge the republicans about the wars, and about looking into 9/11 (many people believe the Bush administration was behind it to get the oil in the Middle East) But, Obama did nothing about Nafta, getting us out of the Middle East wars, and had no interest in looking into the 9/11. But he sure did manage to cause a huge division of the American people, either be it blacks against whites, or blacks against cops, and the insurance companies played Obama for a damn fool with the Obamacare act. I voted for Obama back in 08, but he hasn't or wasn't able to do a single thing I was hoping he would do.

And, it looks like Trump is doing the same thing. Not getting us out of the wars, doing nothing about Nafta, and is looking to now cause problems with the gay communities, military and christian communities.
Leaving the ME is tremendously complicated in every country we have entered, all the campaign bluster gives way to hard reality.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Leaving the ME is tremendously complicated in every country we have entered, all the campaign bluster gives way to hard reality.
Once you realize it's hard to get out, you would think you would know better than to not get yourself involved in new countries.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:07 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
For cause. If memory serves, one was for sexual assault, another for some sort of misconduct.
This is not the same thing. At all. Even insubordinate statements, as in Truman/MacArthur, is not in play.

edit to add: It appears that Trump's gripe is that the Generals are "offering bad advice".
That seems - random - to say the least.
And others were fired for making efforts to rescue Ambassador Stevens.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:55 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
? IMO, an incompetent President is a huge deal. Ymmv.
We survived 8 years of BO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies