Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:03 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Can you elaborate on these freedoms Americans have that no other countries do?
We have the freedom to own firearms, freedom of speech, and freedom to do whatever we want with our own money without being taxed at an outrageous rate. There's some to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 03:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
So because of my wife's and my work, we travel internationally quite extensively (with a child), staying in different countries for a minimum of 2 months at a time. And we also return. For example, we're currently on our 4th stay in Japan.

Most of the countries we've lived in are first-world, and considered to be in high socio-economic standing (Australia, Canada, China, Japan, New Zealand, U.K., etc). It's one thing to roam around free and easy for kicks and giggles, but as a family with responsibilities, we have found the US to be leaps and bounds more livable than any place we've lived.

You can't just point at one thing like "The food in France is fantastic," or "Japan is so safe." There are so many factors involved, and when taken together, we wouldn't dream of living anywhere else.

So when Trump mentions "Make America Great Again" I understand what he means (enforcing laws in the books, keeping Americans safe, etc) and there can be improvement, and I'm excited about it, but it doesn't take much to convince us that we already live in the greatest nation in history.
Who are you trying to convince?

Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
the only person who doesn't think America is great is tRump.

maga means the country is not great.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post

So when Trump mentions "Make America Great Again" I understand what he means (enforcing laws in the books, keeping Americans safe, etc) and there can be improvement, and I'm excited about it, but it doesn't take much to convince us that we already live in the greatest nation in history.
Based on your job description I can guess that your family are not "average" Americans trying to scratch out health care and a living. No doubt for the top 5% things can be great here.

Like you, I have it very good.

We have a lot of space here in America. We have the Constitution, which hopefully will pass the test it is being put to by the Orange One and his flock.

As you say there are a lot of ways to measure things.

1. Do we do the most with the least (efficiency)? No.
2. Are Americans more likely to move up the ladder compared to other countries? No.
3. Is our primary educational system one of the best? No
4. Is our lifespan among the top? No
5. How about our problems with drug addiction and other societal ills? Top worldwide consumers of most everything.....
6. Taxation of the very wealthy? We tax the least when it comes to most ultra-wealthy.

I fail to really understand your point. Selling Giant Foam Fingers to wave doesn't help those millions who lost their jobs when the factories moved to...the places you are visiting. Freedom doesn't mean as much when you are filing bankruptcy due to medical bills or have to beg for funeral money to bury your kin.

I was always told to look at things from "the other shoes" or those not as fortunate as I am. If I wanted to limit my measurement of America to myself and my immediate family then "We're number ONE" - but if, instead, I have to consider ALL Americans in addition to the people we bomb and invade, etc....well, the measurement changes.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
This thread is neither political nor controversial.

It belongs in the travel section.
i like it here

Old 08-03-2017, 03:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Based on your job description I can guess that your family are not "average" Americans trying to scratch out health care and a living. No doubt for the top 5% things can be great here.

We have a lot of space here in America. We have the Constitution, which hopefully will pass the test it is being put to by the Orange One and his flock.

2. Are Americans more likely to move up the ladder compared to other countries? No.
5. How about our problems with drug addiction and other societal ills? Top worldwide consumers of most everything.....
6. Taxation of the very wealthy? We tax the least when it comes to most ultra-wealthy.

I fail to really understand your point. Selling Giant Foam Fingers to wave doesn't help those millions who lost their jobs when the factories moved to...the places you are visiting. Freedom doesn't mean as much when you are filing bankruptcy due to medical bills or have to beg for funeral money to bury your kin.

I was always told to look at things from "the other shoes" or those not as fortunate as I am. If I wanted to limit my measurement of America to myself and my immediate family then "We're number ONE" - but if, instead, I have to consider ALL Americans in addition to the people we bomb and invade, etc....well, the measurement changes.
Now that's a reasonable and thoughtful rejoinder no one can take issue with.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I don't think you understand. We also have the freedom of upward mobility. There's nothing holding someone back from going back to school and improving their lives, not even money. In places like China, if you are homeless, it is impossible to go back to school much less get a good job.

Like I said, people who don't think America is great don't have any real perspective. They rely on articles, or statistics that state otherwise.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We have the freedom to own firearms, freedom of speech, and freedom to do whatever we want with our own money without being taxed at an outrageous rate. There's some to name a few.
The Second Amendment secures all our other Natural Rights. It is very unique in the world. We have the means to fight a tyrannical government, and people that want to harm us. We are exceptional for that reason. While subjects of other countries have been disarmed from legally owning firearms, our rights are secure in the U.S. We are citizens, not subjects.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:38 PM

1,229 posts, read 858,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Every country has ups and downs, it just all depends on what you value most. I'm originally from Canada and I have family in Europe. The U.S is a great place to live if you're well off, but if you're low income, it's one of the harder places to live. In terms of economic, geographic and demographic variety, the U.S is the best place to be.
It's going to get much, much tougher for the middle class here in the future. So you could easily say that's its going to get much worse before it gets better.

The people from both political parties who are managing government become far more Machiavellian every single day....And most now understand they are not working in their best interest.

Conversely, its becoming much, much tougher for them to manage perception - which should give everyone hope.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Second Amendment secures all our other Natural Rights. It is very unique in the world. We have the means to fight a tyrannical government, and people that want to harm us. We are exceptional for that reason. While subjects of other countries have been disarmed from legally owning firearms, our rights are secure in the U.S. We are citizens, not subjects.
For heaven's sake! You need to get out of your bunker more often.

The U.S. is in 20th place with slipping down the scale of freedoms and now rates only an 89 compared to more than a few rating in the high 90's and more than one country having a perfect score of 100. Your guns haven't and aren't doing anything for you at all.

Click on a country to view it's score.
https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...dom-world-2017

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index

Even on the economic freedom scale the U.S. ranking is lacklustre at 17th having gone down another .03% on that scale.

Country Rankings: World & Global Economy Rankings on Economic Freedom

Again; when it comes to freedom of your press, not even in the top ten:

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

It's one thing to boast about your freedoms being so special as compared to "subjects" but when on any relevant scale of actual value and measure, your freedoms come up as lacking compared to those very people you refer to as "subjects" it means you're spreading stuff whose only value is as a poor fertilizer.

You "citizens" obviously need more guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies