Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
All the time, I hear about how much the white man owes the black man. And a couple of months ago, I heard black students talking about how Harvard was built by black slaves, and how amazing to think about potentially being a student there. Harvard was NOT built by slaves, and I think that blacks are freely rewriting history by thinking that ALL of America was built by black slaves.... as in every brick in every old building in every city was laid down by blacks including the buildings at Harvard University. So instead of being plantation workers in the cotton and sugar cane fields, now black slaves were also masonry workers. Next, they will claim to have lumbermen ancestry and that Paul Bunyan was really black.
Here's the thing with history. People want to be glorify the GOOD while overlooking the BAD. And being honest most people want to emphasize the good while disassociating themselves with the horrible things that happened throughout history. And there just some misconceptions and things that people don't know.

For instance, Most slave ships landed in what is now Latin America and the Caribbean. Lots of blacks in the US are absolutely clueless to this fact.

No black personal honestly thinks that all of America was built by black people. People like this in my opinion should just not be history majors or historians. But again, it's my opinion.

The agrarian economy of the US south did depend on enslaved people, and blacks did make contributions in the industrial north. Not all blacks think the way you stated. We don't all think the same thoughts just because you've heard it.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:36 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
See, revenge is sweet no matter who you are. We need to stop looking at the left like they're of higher morals and accept the truth. They aren't. We're all the same. They were just pretending for votes.
Yep. The left insists Harvard can discriminate based on race, but a baker/florist/caterer/photographer/etc can't discriminate based on LGBT Status, which isn't even protected under the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:39 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Okay. So I would like to clarify that when I used the term "blacks" I was meaning ebonic speaking African Americans descended from American slaves, not African blacks of recent arrival to the States or African nationals. Big difference in academic skills and work ethic. And by "Hispanics", I prefer working with Cuban Americans and those from Portugal, over those from countries south of our US border and the islands.
Remember that if not for the hard-working African-Americans, the rest of us Africans, Afro-Caribbeans and Afro-Latinos would not be here. BTW, their speech patterns stem from a long and hard fight to retain their original languages amidst physical abuse.

People from Portugal are not Hispanic. They speak Portuguese.

Cubans are Hispanics from the islands. Cuba is an island in the Caribbean.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Remember that if not for the hard-working African-Americans, the rest of us Africans and Afro-Caribbean people would not be here. BTW, their speech patterns stem from a long and hard fight to retain their original languages amidst physical abuse.

When she says she'd rather work with Cubans and emphasizing their work ethic, she means white Cubans from the business elite upper class Castro exiles, not dark skinned mulattoes.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
We don't have any differences according to them. Black people are the borg. We think the same. we act the same. we have the opinions. And we have the same views to them. We are raised the same.

I've met West Africans, Jamaicans, Louisiana Creoles, Trinidadians, in my lifetime. We are black but we don't have the same ethnic background. The thing is we didnt have the opportunity ethnic differences to be emphasized as other groups.

We are just seen as Black.
This is why I give little weight to views by others. They are very uncultured in their understanding of African peoples. They can understand the difference between a Japanese and a Vietnamese or an Irish and German. But when it comes to someone of African origin, they tend to have one warped viewpoint.

If recent people of African origin have received affirmative action, other groups - especially whites - have themselves to blame. Recent groups of African origin always assert their ethnicities and have pushed for ethnic designations but are denied. Everyone must be "black"/African-American and associated with American history. Not our fault.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
When she says she'd rather work with Cubans and emphasizing their work ethic, she means white Cubans from the business elite upper class Castro exiles, not dark skinned mulattoes.
Of course, as white Cubans make up the majority of the Cuban-American population. Regardless, Cuba is still an island in the Caribbean. They are Caribbean Hispanics, as are Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. So when she speaks about Hispanics "from the islands," that includes Cubans.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Quote:
We don't have any differences according to them. Black people are the borg. We think the same. we act the same. we have the opinions. And we have the same views to them. We are raised the same.

I've met West Africans, Jamaicans, Louisiana Creoles, Trinidadians, in my lifetime. We are black but we don't have the same ethnic background. The thing is we didnt have the opportunity ethnic differences to be emphasized as other groups.

We are just seen as Black.
Whites are the same, hispanics are the same, Asians are the same according to everyone. It's not just done with blacks. I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference between someone who is Chinese, Japanese or Korean. But, there is a huge difference if you are familiar with the regions and their population.

You are describing an American thing, not a white persons thing. You'll be a victim of it but you will also do it yourself because you are an American. We are unique and are not homogenous. Americans tend to group others together because of census.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Remember that if not for the hard-working African-Americans, the rest of us Africans, Afro-Caribbeans and Afro-Latinos would not be here. BTW, their speech patterns stem from a long and hard fight to retain their original languages amidst physical abuse.

Brazilians also speak Portuguese with a slight difference in pronunciation. When you dive beneath the stereotypes America is so found of, it's really complex and interesting. But, I see why we group, we are a melting pot and it's very difficult to treat all as individuals in regards to politics or special services. So it is what it is.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Whites are the same, hispanics are the same, Asians are the same according to everyone. It's not just done with blacks. I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference between someone who is Chinese, Japanese or Korean. But, there is a huge difference if you are familiar with the regions and their population.

You are describing an American thing, not a white persons thing. You'll be a victim of it but you will also do it yourself because you are an American. We are unique and are not homogenous. Americans tend to group others together because of census.

That is not true. The census requests the specific orgins of Asians and Hispanics. Whites have chosen color identity over generations.

The only groups not afforded the specific choice have been those of non-Hispanic African origin.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Very true.

A number of Africans, especially Nigerians, surpass white and Asian students when it comes to grades/scores.

But yet, people will assume a guy like this got in because of affirmative action.

African-American Youth with 5.0 GPA, a 2100 SAT Score, a Nigerian Name, Many Ivy League School Scholarship Offers - The African Sun Times

Not to mention, what makes the complaining whites and Asians think that they write better essays or offer more in terms of extracurriculars and other experiences?
True enough but I think what people are referring to is the link on the first page about Texas. They confirmed they use race as a factor for admittance over grades. They won the case, and it was this information which causes the debate. Is it ok to deny someone with better grades for someone else who is a minority? In the name of discrimination, is it ok to let a women in over a man even if the man scored higher on his tests or has more academic awards? Women are also part of Affirmative Action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies