Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 AM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL
How? It's a 1911...

Wana see what bothers me?
As you will note from my previous post I am fine with someone having firearms for personal protection if he/she believes that is appropriate or important given his or her particular circumstances.

What concerns me is the fact that this seems to be glorifying the kiiling ability of the firearm, like it is somehow worthy of bragging if one has shot at another person. I believe if one feels it necessary to have a firearm for personal prtecgion it isn't necessary to glorify its killing abilities. It's a personal opinion, but posting a picture of one's gun with the caption "POW POW POW" seems to imply someone looking forward to using the weapon in question, regardless of whether the reasons were self defemse. Just one person's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
As you will note from my previous post I am fine with someone having firearms for personal protection if he/she believes that is appropriate or important given his or her particular circumstances.

What concerns me is the fact that this seems to be glorifying the kiiling ability of the firearm, like it is somehow worthy of bragging if one has shot at another person. I believe if one feels it necessary to have a firearm for personal prtecgion it isn't necessary to glorify its killing abilities. It's a personal opinion, but posting a picture of one's gun with the caption "POW POW POW" seems to imply someone looking forward to using the weapon in question, regardless of whether the reasons were self defemse. Just one person's opinion.
Quite a feeble and exaggerated opinion...

If that bothers you I pray you never get to expirience a home invasion... in no way was that post remotely menacing threatening or glorifying it's killing abilities... or bragging as if it were used in crime...

More so irrational fear.

Firearms do go Pow pow pow. Pew Pew bang etc.

Way off. Way wrong...

Stick around, you might learn a thing or two...

Firearms aren't all you've got them cracked up to be.
Quite an enjoyable hobby. And sound investment as well.

Some in my collection could be sold in a few years and fetch 5k a piece.

Machine guns fetch 20k+

Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A gun registry would make it possible for homicide investigators to trace a murder weapon across state lines to help identify a suspect. The system in place is something from the 1970's, investigators actually use a micro fiche when tracing serial numbers. The NRA has killed a gun registry with the support of the Republican Party and gun nuts everywhere.
No... firearms used in crime are often burners. Stolen with serial numbers scraped off. Registry isn't going to do anything for them...

Wait til you go buy that Henry you want. They'll have the computer or the regular NICS check paperwork.

Only registry that should exist is when Eric Holder was giving weapons to cartels that were used to kill Brian Terry.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:00 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
We bought a Glock 17 when the house two doors down from us was broken into one morning at 4am. We live in a small town with an excellent police department but they are always going to be 10-15 mins away. So, we tried a bunch of guns with an NRA certified instructor (and retired cop) and chose the Glock because both my wife and me were comfortable shooting it.

Subsequently, I have found that I enjoy target shooting, have got my CCW and have become quite adept/accurate with the Glock at our local range. I don't carry around town because I don't feel the need.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:17 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
No I don't.

Don't really have a desire for one.

But I can't own one, or shoot one.
I have a well documented mental illness. So I can't own one.

I'd like to have one for protection, and my OH could own one, but if I were to fire it, I'd go to prison for illegal use of a firearm.

Which I think is unfortunate that because I have a mental illness I can't protect myself.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:21 AM

148 posts, read 103,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I have a WWII M1 Carbine manufactured by General Motors and it shoots great. I also own a Sig Sauer .380 for CC. My next purchase will be a Henry Lever Action .357 "Big Boy" rifle.

Moderator cut: quote I am totally in favor of a national gun registry (The NRA has prevented this) and sensible gun laws, including a thorough background check and waiting period.
Would love a Henry rifle. We already have sensible gun laws. Many places have stupid gun laws where only the criminals have them.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-04-2017 at 03:30 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Yes? No? Why? Why not?
yes. A dozen. a couple for hunting. a couple for target shooting. the rest to collect. why? they are great pieces of engineering and history and to do the things...

Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Smart man doesn't go around telling strangers what and how many guns they have.
This. Exactly.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Not yet.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Yes? No? Why? Why not?
"That is a matter of internal security and not open to discussion."

Now, in the spirit of "Heathers"........

"WHY NOT?"

As my 1st CHL instructor said, "Because you want to and you can!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

We-ll, one must realize we are talking about something which is rather like the King of Swamp Castle in Monty Python. "What do you mean, you didn't mean to kill him? You put your sword right through him!".

Let's be serious about the matter in that if a person is putting rounds down range against someone, they better be prepared that it can kill them. Let's not sugarcoat it, it is deadly force being used.

As to the pow pow pow matter in general, of bragging, there is a certain amount of professional pride, be in in the ability to do so, be it in that one trains to that level, or whatever, to accurately put rounds on target.

And to pow pow pow in specific? Shoot-shoot-look-shoot.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-04-2017 at 02:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies