Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 08:22 AM

5,034 posts, read 2,245,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That is what I always thought. When I took my son to see a new doctor when we relocated here 5 years ago, one of the questions asked by the person filling out the paperwork was "Do you have a gun in the house?" I was so shocked by the question, I just sat there saying nothing. Probably wrinkling my nose, looking confused, and after 2 or 3 minutes, I said "No?" I would say she probably got the feeling we had an arsenal! It made me so angry that they asked, I called the admin to inquire, and they said this was a new requirement. I called my congress people and voiced an opinion there. Luckily, we practice mostly homeopathic medicine. I don't like anyone in my business that doesn't belong there.
Surprisingly, I've never been asked that question. I'd just lie anyway. My pediatrician did make my kids very nervous, though, lol. "Do you always floss?", "Do you wear your helmets when you ride your bikes?", etc. they had this deer-in-the-headlights look. When she finally got to one they could answer yes to, the look of relief on their faces was priceless. (That one was "Do you always wear your seatbelts?")

Oh, btw, no one should be worried about "pew, pew, pew". That's not showing a willingness to kill, it's just a gun sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 AM

6,709 posts, read 6,426,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Smart man doesn't go around telling strangers what and how many guns they have.
Agree, why not post an anonymous poll OP?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,474,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Surprisingly, I've never been asked that question. I'd just lie anyway. My pediatrician did make my kids very nervous, though, lol. "Do you always floss?", "Do you wear your helmets when you ride your bikes?", etc. they had this deer-in-the-headlights look. When she finally got to one they could answer yes to, the look of relief on their faces was priceless. (That one was "Do you always wear your seatbelts?")
I was asked if I had guns in my house at my last physical. I was shocked. I said "excuse me?" My doctor sheepishly smiled and said it was now standard procedure to ask patients this question.

On the one hand I understand the theory that someone posted earlier about why doctors ask this, but I find it obtrusive and invasive and simply refused to answer her. I just can't think of any good that can come from a doctor noting in your patient record that you have firearms in your home.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 AM

19,690 posts, read 10,028,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Doctors and nurses have told me the government intrusion that came with Obamacare is over the top.. they are required to ask these questions now since Obamacare was passed.. the medical people do not like it but they have to do in because of the strong arm of the Federal government.

They are collecting data on everyone who goes to see a doctor, including gun ownership.
I have to see a doctor every three months and I have never been asked.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 AM

2,953 posts, read 986,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No. It would be neat though!

*as everyone on CD breathes a sigh of relief*
Yeah it would be neat! What a bullet hose. Shooting one of those is on my list of must-do's. I think there are various places where you can pay to shoot military weapons like that.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:38 AM

As for the need for protection in rural areas, many rural counties have deputies spread thin. Our local county sheriff says that anyone who can legally carry should carry. In our county, a deputy could easily be 40 miles from your home. Driving gravel roads, it might take him an hour to respond. Many rural areas have farm tanks with chemicals used on the field that will make meth. So, robberies in rural areas are common. Many of the farmers also work at jobs in urban areas, so druggies may think that no one is home. Then you also have poisonous snakes, coyotes, bears, mountain lions. And many of us hunt deer and rabbits.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:43 AM

54,485 posts, read 33,802,200 times
I own a number of them, handguns, rifles and a shotgun, Why I own them? Well... Why Not? Seriously, Because it is one of the most important freedoms I enjoy and was given to us by our Founding Fathers. It's also a hobby of mine, I like shooting tight groups at various distances with ammo that I load, and I keep one of my handguns with me just in case I need it in a self-defense situation. I've never used it for that purpose, but it's always good to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:43 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,497,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
As for the need for protection in rural areas, many rural counties have deputies spread thin. Our local county sheriff says that anyone who can legally carry should carry. In our county, a deputy could easily be 40 miles from your home. Driving gravel roads, it might take him an hour to respond. Many rural areas have farm tanks with chemicals used on the field that will make meth. So, robberies in rural areas are common. Many of the farmers also work at jobs in urban areas, so druggies may think that no one is home. Then you also have poisonous snakes, coyotes, bears, mountain lions. And many of us hunt deer and rabbits.
I never knew addicts would go so far, but I guess when they're addicted and desperate, they'll do anything.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I never knew addicts would go so far, but I guess when they're addicted and desperate, they'll do anything.
For a few years, a mostly rural area of Missouri and Kansas was called "the meth capital of the U.S." by the F.B.I.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM

2,953 posts, read 986,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I'm curious as to why I've seen people mention needing more protection in rural areas ?
This is my case. No streetlights, large properties with forest coming up around the houses, no fences, houses far apart. Nobody will hear you yell for help or hear a home alarm and it takes too long for the police to arrive ... actually that's a truism no matter where you live.

Rural properties like what I described are perfect targets for home invasion in a very private setting. As a homeowner you are on your own and that's not an exaggeration. Your security is up to you, not the police. Anyone who thinks police make them safe are kidding themselves. They're criminal historians. They arrive after a home invasion has happened, take pictures, draw chalk outlines around things and take witness statements. Then they do the best they can to find the perpetrators of a crime that is in the past. The only one who can prevent the crime is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies