Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,834,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
With this policy in place, the US wouldn't have Americans like Samuel Alito, Colin Powell, Micheal Bloomberg and Martin Scorcese. These were all first generation Americans who had parents that immigrated to the United States and took jobs as seamstresses, clerks and teachers.

And that's just off the top of my head from the NYC area. I think the contributions that immigrants and their children make to this country are underestimated by many.
Some other American could've done just as well to take their place. Of course a few immigrants and 1st generation Americans are great, many more are not, but none of them are irreplaceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 PM

4,648 posts, read 4,523,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Some other American could've done just as well to take their place. Of course a few immigrants and 1st generation Americans are great, many more are not, but none of them are irreplaceable.
I really don't think you can say that with any certainty. I don't believe that Michael Bloomberg's existence prevented another middle-class American from starting their own multi-billion company. Or that Scorcese is "taking the place" of some other person who should have been a Hollywood success. They created their businesses and art, from their own experiences, insights and ambitions. They're not "stealing" it from someone else. Those things wouldn't exist without them.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-04-2017 at 11:01 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I really don't think you can say that with any certainty. I don't believe that Michael Bloomberg's existence prevented another middle-class American from starting their own multi-billion company. Or that Scorcese is "taking the place" of some other person who should have been a Hollywood success. They created their businesses and art, from their own experiences and ambitions. They're not "stealing" it from someone else. Those things wouldn't exist without them.
Of course they competed with and edge out someone elses. No one creates a multi-billion company without doing so, immigrant or not. I never said they necessarily "stole" it but they definitely displaced others. Besides, one or two model immigrants doesn't justify the million others.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:51 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,704,278 times
Quote:
I really don't think you can say that with any certainty. I don't believe that Michael Bloomberg's existence prevented another middle-class American from starting their own multi-billion company. Or that Scorcese is "taking the place" of some other person who should have been a Hollywood success. They created their businesses and art, from their own experiences and ambitions. They're not "stealing" it from someone else. Those things wouldn't exist without them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal

Some of the recent Fields Medal winners affiliated with Princeton and Stanford are immigrants. They stole the awards from Americans. Princeton has hired too many foreign workers because they don't care about American citizens.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 PM

4,648 posts, read 4,523,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Of course they competed with and edge out someone else's. No one creates a multi-billion company without doing so, immigrant or not. I never said they necessarily "stole" it but they definitely displaced others. Besides, one or two model immigrants doesn't justify the million others.
A million people could try to replicate what business titans have done, and wouldn't be able to. So you can't say that one of his competitors would have been able to, if only Bloomberg weren't around.

And it's way more than one or two successful immigrants.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 PM

20,687 posts, read 8,453,186 times
Remember the pussyhats who said they'd move to Canada and Australia after Trump won? They were shocked to learn those countries actually use this points based merit system that Trump is championing and most would never be allowed in! Talk about a slap in the face by reality.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,585,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
As proposed by Trump administration, the US may want to adopt a scoring system to choose immigrants.
In short, young people are scored higher than old people, educated higher than uneducated, high salary higher than low salary, fluent in English higher than otherwise.....

Pros: may be good for economy, may be fair to those who work hard
Cons: may violate the founding principles of the US, may be bad for low-skilled Americans, "unfair" to those who struggle
The founding principles violated themselves.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:02 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,704,278 times
Quote:
I grew up in an immigrant community and have seen many immigrants, and especially first generation Americans, bring themselves up from the lower middle class to become productive citizens: starting businesses, becoming doctors and scientists, etc. I believe the immigrant dream has always been a part of the identity of this country, and think the United States has been better off for it.
This is exactly the damage immigrants have done to this country.

They not only stole lower class jobs, they also stole professional jobs. Do you know the CEO of Microsoft is an immigrant? With countless Americans struggling to put food on the table, working two jobs to make the ends meet, Microsoft is still using cheap foreign workers to replace Americans.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 PM

37,091 posts, read 42,078,286 times
All of them I suspect.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
A million people could try to replicate what business titans have done, and wouldn't be able to. So you can't say that one of his competitors would have been able to, if only Bloomberg weren't around.

And it's way more than one or two successful immigrants.
Bloomberg never benefited me in any way. I'm sure if I researched him I could find lots of things to not like. I don't know, isn't he anti-coal and anti-fracking so he wants to raise my energy cost. So there's that. Why don't you talk about George Sorros he's a foreigner and a billionaire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies