U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM
TKO

1,523 posts, read 2,440,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Private sector unions that have driven entire industries out of their states and in many cases out of this country. They have driven the price of American Labor through the roof in many cases and in all negotiations the monetary gain of the union leadership is always first in the negotiations. Are there industries that should have this extra layer yes there are some but as we have seen for many industries workers can be treated fairly and compensated adequately without the 1000lb gorilla.
I would argue the chase to maximize shareholder return is responsible for all these things just as much, if not more, than any union demanding that their workers share enough of the profits to be able to live a decent life. Different perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 PM

6,275 posts, read 7,527,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I would argue the chase to maximize shareholder return is responsible for all these things just as much, if not more, than any union demanding that their workers share enough of the profits to be able to live a decent life. Different perspective?
Agree but when teachers union contact includes a @10,000$ a month payment to the union "to provide collective bargaining representation" Why should the residents pay for the union who is already being paid by its members? Greed???

Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM

2,893 posts, read 1,283,777 times
Quote:
I have always worked non-union and would not it to change for me growing up I saw the following:

-My dad would lose hours at his job due to sympathy strikes that got him nothing (6 strikes in 20 years, 5 were sympathy)
-I spent several years starting the school year sitting in the gym because the teachers were on strike again!
-I couldn't enter a trade because without 6 relatives in a trade union I couldn't get an apprentice card.

There was a time and much was accomplished in the past. What I see today are public sector unions who bleed the communities they serve dry with their demands. Private sector unions that have driven entire industries out of their states and in many cases out of this country. They have driven the price of American Labor through the roof in many cases and in all negotiations the monetary gain of the union leadership is always first in the negotiations. Are there industries that should have this extra layer yes there are some but as we have seen for many industries workers can be treated fairly and compensated adequately without the 1000lb gorilla.

I worked for the railroad for 37 years. started in 1973. Retired in 2010. In 1973 my starting wage was $4.03 per hour.......................in 2010 it was $25.33. I barely kept up with inflation..........

Calculate the value of $1 in 1973

Old 08-12-2017, 05:25 PM
TKO

1,523 posts, read 2,440,874 times
Quote:
Agree but when teachers union contact includes a @10,000$ a month payment to the union "to provide collective bargaining representation" Why should the residents pay for the union who is already being paid by its members? Greed???
I purposely didn't quote the "public union" part of the post I was responding to. I'm not against them, but they are a different animal and should be part of a different discussion. I know here where I live we have a lot of right wingers on the school board as well as the state education dept., they continually try to hose our teachers so not all results from teacher's unions bad.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:34 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,493,267 times
Lack of strong unions are a detriment to those looking for jobs and careers. Unions are an option when employers are not willing to raise salaries or improve benefit's for their employees.

The lack of strong unions are 1 less bargaining position for every employee of every company. The lack of strong unions are to the benefit of employers.

You do not have to belong to a union to benefit from having strong unions in the area you live and work.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:57 PM

6,275 posts, read 7,527,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I worked for the railroad for 37 years. started in 1973. Retired in 2010. In 1973 my starting wage was $4.03 per hour.......................in 2010 it was $25.33. I barely kept up with inflation..........

Calculate the value of $1 in 1973
So according to your link your $4.03 per hour gave you the equivalent buying power of $22.89 in2017 that means your buying power went up about $2.50 per hour over a 37 year career. And what did the union do for you again?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,493,267 times
I bet he has health care and a pension. What's that worth? In fact how many Companies without unions have dropped their pensions. Most people in the state I am in do not even know what a pension is and finish their lives in poverty.

Friends ask how I was able to retire at 55 and I tell them I have a pension. Then I have to explain what it is. SAD.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM

15,543 posts, read 5,951,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I bet he has health care and a pension. What's that worth? In fact how many Companies without unions have dropped their pensions. Most people in the state I am in do not even know what a pension is and finish their lives in poverty.

Friends ask how I was able to retire at 55 and I tell them I have a pension. Then I have to explain what it is. SAD.
Wow, good for you. Unions look out for their employees. We have healthcare for life because of unions.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 PM

19,461 posts, read 11,045,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Unions are good for working people.
no they are not

is it good for a working person, when the union forces everyone to strike, with threats of being beat-up or killed if you cross a picket line...even though you feel you are being treated well and paid proportionately for your job...

unions are about greed

Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 PM

1,868 posts, read 301,567 times
The problem with unions and I am talking about unions representing public employees is that they are wasting taxpayer money for their benefit.

Look at Illinois. On the verge of insolvency due to pension deals cut with the unions that are impossible to fulfill.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...ension-crisis/

I think its time to ban unions from the public sector. End collective bargaining nationwide. Make it illegal.

Its the public's money not the unions. Time to end this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies