Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 AM

42,755 posts, read 25,988,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Having been a member of a public sector union that improved working conditions and pay in the 70's and 80's, I would say they definitely had their place then. Heck I could not have worked as a woman in my career until the union. I thank God for those brave women before me because their life was hell at the job. But it was hell for the men also with too many double shifts and too many 12-16 hour days without a day off. Now that union is a giant lobbying monstrosity with no ability to compromise. Sure the job is tough and any given day you might not come home but it isn't rocket science or curing cancer. Now personal representation against bad management is another story but if you are a bad apple you need to go or at least have consequences for your actions.
I'm not sure I follow...of course unions lobby, if it disturbs you that unions seldom lobby for Republicans you might want to review the Republican policy on unions. It would be a little bizarre for unions to support a political party that has had you in it's crosshairs for 50 years. But it is not only unions who earn a reputation for being a "lobbying monstrosity" , look at the money donated by Corporations and super PACs and they are seldom advocating for the working class in this Country

Last edited by 2sleepy; 08-05-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 08:36 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,836,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Unions were necessary to address issues decades ago but now we have laws that provide sufficient protection....I don't think unions are very useful today.
Laws can't guarantee a cost of living raise or a performance based raise.

Furthermore, the FLSA here in the U.S does not require employers to provide paid sick days, vacation time or holidays- we are one of the few countries in the Western world to not have that on the law books for full time employees.

Sure, some companies provide all of this without unions, but there are those that don't. Without unions, you can bet a lot more employers would work to eliminate paid time off.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times
I was talking with a friend and he said that the programmer that tells the "pick and place" machine that places things on the circuit boards asked the manager for a one dollar an hour raise. The plant manager and owner said he could not afford it and denied the raise. The programmer, being an hourly and not salaried employee, said see you around and instantly quit. The PnP machine is down while the boss tries to find, hire, train and employ someone else at an even higher wage.

If that job had been Unionized the modest wage increase would have been negotiated and, if the employee still wanted to leave, the Union would have provided a trained replacement employee the next day. That is what Unions provide to management.

SOLIDARITY

Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was talking with a friend and he said that the programmer that tells the "pick and place" machine that places things on the circuit boards asked the manager for a one dollar an hour raise. The plant manager and owner said he could not afford it and denied the raise. The programmer, being an hourly and not salaried employee, said see you around and instantly quit. The PnP machine is down while the boss tries to find, hire, train and employ someone else at an even higher wage.

If that job had been Unionized the modest wage increase would have been negotiated and, if the employee still wanted to leave, the Union would have provided a trained replacement employee the next day. That is what Unions provide to management.

SOLIDARITY
well said

Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,660,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
In an era when people are fired because the boss dislikes them, you bet you need a union.
If you worked in a union shop where the union is not at war with management it is a precious asset.
Here's my question though... If a boss is willing to fire you because they don't like you, why would you want to keep working there? Even if they cannot fire you, they'll make your life living hell until you quit.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:50 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,785,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure I follow...of course unions lobby, if it disturbs you that unions seldom lobby for Republicans you might want to review the Republican policy on unions. It would be a little bizarre for unions to support a political party that has had you in it's crosshairs for 50 years. But it is not only unions who earn a reputation for being a "lobbying monstrosity" , look at the money donated by Corporations and super PACs and they are seldom advocating for the working class in this Country
My union lobbies all parties that will benefit them. They have backed both Republicans and Democrats depending on who was in their corner. My opinion is that at some point enough is enough and when you can't agree on a contract because of what I think are over-the-top demands then you have gone too far and are too powerful.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,401,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Unions. Glad they're fading away. I remember the CWA workers in LA back in the day. Six figure salaries for connecting wires and cable from point A to B. Contract pay raises that had nothing to do with actual job performance. Ten years tenure and no more jobs in your area? Company paid transportation, hotel and meals anywhere in the US where there was a job slot. Never met a more entitled group of people.
The company's made these agreements yet you blame the workers. I'm sure you are ok with ceo's getting tens of millions in bonuses and golden parachutes when they fail right?

Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 AM

58,623 posts, read 26,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Unions. Glad they're fading away. I remember the CWA workers in LA back in the day. Six figure salaries for connecting wires and cable from point A to B. Contract pay raises that had nothing to do with actual job performance. Ten years tenure and no more jobs in your area? Company paid transportation, hotel and meals anywhere in the US where there was a job slot. Never met a more entitled group of people.
"Six figure salaries for connecting wires and cable from point A to B."

I doubt it.

Are you mad because you couldn't pass the test to become one?

Even if it was, what was the salary of OTHER workers, like carpenter's etc, and the public workers.

I was CWA member, in another area of the country, in fact I was Union Steward and NEVER saw any of the things the way you describe them.

Unions served purpose, just like the Pony Express.

The telegraph and railroad made them obsolete.

Today, unions are no different then companies. Some good, some bad.

I have seen unions do good things.

I have also seen unions do bad things.

I was around when union painters wre NOT allowed to use rollers.

Even when they finally conceded, they wereonly allowed to use rollers that would fit into the paint bucket.

I have also seen greed by the union officials force companies to close because they couldn't financially meet the unions demands.

Of course the union leaders kept their jobs wile all the workers we laid off.

Not all unions are constructed the same.

In the "trades" some work for the union and the union "assigns" the work.

In other areas they work directly for the general contractor.

I AM TOTALLY against public unions.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
My union lobbies all parties that will benefit them. They have backed both Republicans and Democrats depending on who was in their corner. My opinion is that at some point enough is enough.
If your local is spending too much money lobbying that is something you should address with your rep. I've belonged to two public sector unions and they did very little lobbying and most of it was non-partisan- it usually involved candidates for the City Council or County board of Supervisors. But a portion of your dues are probably sent to the national level union representing your local, probably AFL-CIO or SEIU, and those unions generally, but not always support Democrats. But I don't understand 'enough is enough' unless your dues are skyrocketing due to lobbying

Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 AM

58,623 posts, read 26,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I have personal experience with unions from my younger days in factory and warehouse work, and I can tell you that working people need representation, I found it invaluable.

The Miners union and the Printing Pressmen's union were two early organizations fighting for the eight hour day. The printers went on strike for it about 1904, the miners earlier. Other unions followed this example and demanded the same from their employers. This was well before Ford's famous action, which may have been partly motivated to keep the unions at bay.

Unions also supported legislation for job safety that protects all workers today. They also historically acted to protect the environment through promoting legislation and supporting like minded politician's. They were battling against the efforts of big money robber barons who resisted all of this. The cry that it would hurt the economy turned out to be an empty threat.

If it weren't for the efforts of labor and trades unions the USA would have an ecology similar to China today, with serious pollution problems and unsafe workplaces. China is chock full of jobs, but they are not good jobs and they do not have effective unions to advocate for the workers or to promote people friendly legislation.

We in the USA owe a lot to our predecessors who fought so hard for the working people through collective bargaining and action.
I don' think you addressed the question

It was NOT a history lesson of the good, and bad, things the unions did back in the 1900's.

It IS what is your opinion of TODAY'S unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies