Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How has immigration affected your community?
Immigration has improved my community a lot/give me more 44 32.35%
It's been good but I wouldn't want more 5 3.68%
It's been somewhat bad and I'd like to see less 14 10.29%
Immigration has made my community worse/wish it was totally gone 50 36.76%
Haven't noticed a difference or no opinion 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:07 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, but I have never seen any americans cleaning offices or apartment buildings. It's a BS job that no one wants.
Your claims are what is BS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Many immigrants ARE Americans.

Jeez...

You are not an immigrant and an American at the same time. You could say they were former immigrants if they became a naturalized citizen.

Jeez....

Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Lots of good Mexican restaurants and food and that you used to seldom, if ever see, unless you were in the southwest.

Many local jobs in construction, lawn maintenance, etc, have many Hispanic workers.

I do not seem these jobs being 'lost' to immigrants. I see them being fulfilled by people that want to work. If indeed a job was 'lost' it is simply because someone else was too damn lazy to do it.

Many of these Hispanics have gone on to create companies for themselves, grown, and become 'big players' in the local markets. They contribute in significant ways to the local economy by purchasing everything from groceries, to cars and houses.

The same could be done by any 'non-immigrant' if they had the gumption to get off their arse, go out, and get to work.

Many of these Hispanics you speak of are here illegally and it is against the law to hire them, hard working or not. They have flooded the construction industry and taken jobs from American construction workers by working for less. They and their greedy employers need to be held accountable. They cost us $113 billion a year and send billions back to their homelands that isn't spent in our economy. If Americans got those jobs back they in turn would be contributing to the economy and at a fair and higher wage.

If they do open businesses they just hire other illegal aliens or Hispanics only. It's not about Americans not getting off their arse. They were already working those jobs before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border. I suggest you educate yourself of this topic.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
If my parents didn't immigrate I'd either be dead or a German.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:30 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
American Homeowners worked their body as blue collar workers to create the American dream. It didn't come easy. 20 or so years ago with the influx of illegals having babies or bringing their children here put a huge strain on the school budget, Plus many illegals having children here to get more welfare benefits is common.

American homeowners with a fixed income could not keep up with the large increases of taxes on their homes because the schools needed much more money to educate all the illegals. The people running these towns in NJ told these strapped homeowners they would put there tax bill on hold till they sold their homes. Many were elderly and didn't want to sell. Fortunately I was able to pay my tax bill but eventually sold my home and moved out of NJ.

NJ already had the highest property taxes. Illegals are making it worse. This is what is happening in the cities and towns in NJ because of illegal immigration.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The orchards in my town employ legal farm workers and allow me to buy fresh fruit with out having to pick it myself. Several of the farmers have complained to me that their supply of Americans available to do summer work has dried up as the kids are either working better paying jobs or taking summer school so they can get into college.

This ageing country needs legal immigrants to provide a labor force that was previously supplied by lots of our own kids. This works when most families have three to five children. It does not work when the number of children drops to zero to two.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
They are a rotten infestation in our country legal and Illegal.

Come to NJ to see. I was born in the wrong state, it was nice years ago but just look at our Governor.

Trump isn't going to fix anything, he would have to fire half his workforce.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The orchards in my town employ legal farm workers and allow me to buy fresh fruit with out having to pick it myself. Several of the farmers have complained to me that their supply of Americans available to do summer work has dried up as the kids are either working better paying jobs or taking summer school so they can get into college.

This ageing country needs legal immigrants to provide a labor force that was previously supplied by lots of our own kids. This works when most families have three to five children. It does not work when the number of children drops to zero to two.
Truth

Immigration is the only reason that our population is growing at all. Why is that important? Fewer young workers entering the labor market means fewer taxpayers supporting an increasing number of retirees.

Does. Not. Compute.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, but I have never seen any americans cleaning offices or apartment buildings. It's a BS job that no one wants.
Over the past 14 years, 100% of my janitorial staff members and subcontractors from 3 states have been Americans, and the one staff member that was a naturalized American was a mid-50's woman from the UK who ended up buying my first business prior to my relocating from the northeastern US. A majority of private and public professionals I know cannot recall having contact with a non-english speaking custodian, janitor, or day porter. None of the small business competitors or franchisees I've come to know here in the past decade hire non-citizens.

A majority of the illegals I'm aware of (and there have been many) work as farmhands, handymen, landscapers, maids, mechanics, and roofers. That doesn't mean of course that there are no areas of the country where there are an abundance of illegal janitors, but your inference is silly and even if your personal observation is true, you either live in an area where it's a problem or you're simply a cloistered snob confusing imagination with reality.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
My company keeps laying off competent, qualified, experienced Americans and replacing them with H1B contractors from India who don't know squat and as a result our system uptime has dropped, quality has suffered, there are more bugs and hotfixes. So I'd say immigration has negatively impacted me through more work and having friends lose their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies