Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,633,647 times

Advertisements

What about all the retired people who worked and paid taxes for 40-50 years and now live on fixed income and pay no federal income tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 02:59 PM

25,423 posts, read 9,735,287 times
If only taxpayers voted, guess that would include Trump?

Old 08-05-2017, 03:00 PM

45,122 posts, read 26,284,895 times
It will be so much better when its just the taxpayers who can vote away other peoples rights and money

Old 08-05-2017, 03:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,729,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What about all the retired people who worked and paid taxes for 40-50 years and now live on fixed income and pay no federal income tax?
If you've paid taxes and paid into a fixed income program in your entire life, I don't see a problem with people like that voting.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
With stolen or fake Social Security numbers.
The OP listed no qualifications. Aside from that, I'll just about guarantee there are some here on work visa's that overstayed, paying legitimately with the government ignoring it.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:03 PM

35,496 posts, read 20,860,187 times
Quote:
There are threads on here created by people who think votes from educated people should only count and votes from people living in the largest metros should only count. I'm going to be the one creating a thread on taxpayers who should only be allowed to vote. The reason? Those who pay taxes should be the only ones that determines where our tax money goes. They pay taxes so they should choose where their tax dollars go. People who hasn't paid a dime to the feds or owes money to the IRS shouldn't be allowed to vote. And by the way, I've paid taxes and don't owe money to the IRS.
Not very democratic--- so no students, retirees- etc?? You will pay taxes till you die in this country- just a fact of life--HUGE corporations do not pay taxes-- even trump said gets out of paying in some areas, what about that? We pay, and then vote in a bunch liars in to spend the money ---if only taxpayers voted, be the same outcome

Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,882,434 times
Quote:
If you've paid taxes and paid into a fixed income program in your entire life, I don't see a problem with people like that voting.
How kind of you, sire.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,633,647 times
Quote:
If you're worried about illegals voting in national elections, why not just pass a law that says "It is illegal for undocumented citizens to vote"?
Restricting everybody but a certain class from voting is the same as banning firearms for law abiding citizens to keep them out of the hands of criminals.
An exercise in futility.

If you check, it's already against the law for undocumented to vote. So new laws will do nothing. As with any law, enforcement is the key.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:09 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,125,167 times
Quote:
There are threads on here created by people who think votes from educated people should only count and votes from people living in the largest metros should only count. I'm going to be the one creating a thread on taxpayers who should only be allowed to vote. The reason? Those who pay taxes should be the only ones that determines where our tax money goes. They pay taxes so they should choose where their tax dollars go. People who hasn't paid a dime to the feds or owes money to the IRS shouldn't be allowed to vote. And by the way, I've paid taxes and don't owe money to the IRS.
Should I get a vote for every tax dollar I pay?

The last thing we need is a society where the amount of money we make determines our rights. That is what the USA was formed to get away from.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,922,356 times
READ the US Constitution.

Only property owners have the right to vote.

So where are the strict constitutionalists today? Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies