U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 PM

9,376 posts, read 5,276,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
A 21 year old may be healthy now, and he may whine about how his premiums do not help him directly. But in 20 or 30 years, he will be banking on another group of healthy 21 year olds to help fund his blood pressure meds or diabetes treatment. So how is this "pre-existing condition" a distortion?
But why should that 21-year old be compelled to subsidize the care (and behavior) of other people -- of any age -- who persist in unhealthful and personal choices.

I'll be waiting for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 PM

3,362 posts, read 648,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
But why should that 21-year old be compelled to subsidize the care (and behavior) of other people -- of any age -- who persist in unhealthful and personal choices.

I'll be waiting for your reply.
Oh, hell. Here we go again.

Bad things happen to young, healthy people, often through no fault of their own. I'm not even going to list examples, because I am tired of trying to point out the obvious. It's boring.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 PM

11,069 posts, read 15,404,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Like Wall Street?
Someone will have to do it at some point, the costs are ridiculous

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 PM

9,376 posts, read 5,276,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, hell. Here we go again.

Bad things happen to young, healthy people, often through no fault of their own. I'm not even going to list examples, because I am tired of trying to point out the obvious. It's boring.
It's "boring" to you because you refuse to recognize the fact that some of those examples are beyond individual control (and therefore. deserving of our compassion), but many more are due to deliberate and unwise actions.

What part of "consequences of stupidity" can't you understand?

Old 08-05-2017, 09:24 PM

4,722 posts, read 4,747,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
GOP plan:

Every man for himself.

If you have cancer...tough potatoes.

If you are about to die "Sorry, can't treat you, no insurance, because you didn't even qualify before"

"Oh you can talk, your able-bodied. Get off your butt and out of the nursing home grandma and get to work"
Sounds like the framework for Trumpcare to me.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:28 PM

4,032 posts, read 5,599,692 times
The "ideal Republican Healthcare System" would be one where everyone who turns 65, drops dead and needs neither Medicare nor Social Security any longer ...thus freeing up money for taxcuts for the Insanely Wealthy!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 PM
NCN

19,493 posts, read 18,932,286 times
Ideally insurance companies should be independent of the government with just the minimum of rules to keep them honest. Persons would approach the company to purchase the product just like they would go to a store to buy a product. Person would decide how much insurance they can afford to buy and the government would not help either the company or the person with their finances. The amount paid for insurance should have no bearing on the taxes paid by the one purchasing the insurance. Companies would still be allowed to use insurance as an incentive to get the best employees. The insurance cost to the company should be considered an expense just as the persons salary.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 PM

9,853 posts, read 3,273,295 times
In the Republican world, the perfect healthcare system would be entirely private and for-profit. Healthcare business would keep people as sick as possible for as long as possible in order to maximize profits. Anyone who couldn't afford healthcare would be out of luck.

Freedom!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 1,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I personally would like the government to get out of the health insurance business and maybe do a little healthcare regulating
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Like Wall Street?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Someone will have to do it at some point, the costs are ridiculous
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was asking if you were suggesting the government get out of the health insurance business & maybe do a little regulating similar to how some folks suggest the same for Wall Street ~ that government get out of Wall Street & the FIRE sector & maybe do a little regulating ...?

Not sure what you mean by "Someone will have to do it at some point, the costs are ridiculous"? Agree the costs in US are ridiculous but haven't seen any pragmatic plausible plans on how to reduce costs? I've posted links before which address the underlying reasons but no one here seemed interested. Will re-post but cannot right now ~ on my phone & away from home.

& Wall Street is not likely to be willing to do anything to reduce costs, after all, they're not in the business of serving society or acting in the community or Country's best interest. If anything, their expectation is vice versa ~ US exists to serve their best interest.

The 'Wall Street connection' to health care is a failure to competently address health care legislation & tax policy could influence & possibly deflate stock prices & in turn, influence corporate investment ... & so on.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 PM

2,182 posts, read 395,070 times
" In an ideal republican world, what would be perfect healthcare system? "

A Soylent Green factory that turns a profit and pays no taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies