Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I still think there is some confusion here about what it means to be conservative, fiscally responsible and/or "fiscally conservative," and again I think it is the fine work of conservatives who have caused so many to believe fiscally responsible = fiscally conservative.

As you also put it in your comment above (see bold), again reinforcing that incorrect notion.

In each example that I know, presidents have always argued their policy would ultimately be the best direction economically, for purposes of building the economy, more jobs, more payroll, more taxes collected, less burden on government budgets, or so the theories always go...

Understand beyond the rhetoric and partisanship, you begin to realize it isn't that either party wants to promote spending money we don't have. The divide is over who should pay for what and what should we pay for -- responsibly in any case.

Things begin to get "irresponsible" when there isn't enough agreement about these questions, so both parties negotiate for what they want and "kick the can down the road" as to how it will all get paid and by whom.

Another example..., military spending. Most often associated with conservatives who always want more, but not necessarily along with how it gets paid, and we all know what our military expense is these days compared to all other advanced countries. How "fiscally conservative" and/or fiscally responsible is that?
On the bold, it is not fiscally responsible.

Please note, again, I don't go along with what conservatives or liberals say. Both sides are hypocritical and I agree that both want what they want and think it is the best. However, I think that is human nature - people always think their ideas are better than other peoples, that's why political parties are silly IMO since even within parties there are different ideas about what to do on certain issues or topics.

However, again, I am very much a person focused on fiscal responsibility in government. I can use that term instead of a "fiscal conservative" if that would be more explanatory and it would much moreso focus on my view of this subject from an "independent" perspective. I honestly don't think most Republicans are fiscally responsible in our federal government. In the past 20 years, I think that the Dems have been more fiscally responsible than the Republicans on the federal level (they don't remove tax revenue and hope that they will mysteriously get more money out of businesses). However, I do believe that on my local level the Republicans and independent executives and legislators have been more fiscally responsible and less wasteful. They also have been more willing to cut and reform programs that need reform from a financial perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, it is not fiscally responsible.

Please note, again, I don't go along with what conservatives or liberals say. Both sides are hypocritical and I agree that both want what they want and think it is the best. However, I think that is human nature - people always think their ideas are better than other peoples, that's why political parties are silly IMO since even within parties there are different ideas about what to do on certain issues or topics.

However, again, I am very much a person focused on fiscal responsibility in government. I can use that term instead of a "fiscal conservative" if that would be more explanatory and it would much moreso focus on my view of this subject from an "independent" perspective. I honestly don't think most Republicans are fiscally responsible in our federal government. In the past 20 years, I think that the Dems have been more fiscally responsible than the Republicans on the federal level (they don't remove tax revenue and hope that they will mysteriously get more money out of businesses). However, I do believe that on my local level the Republicans and independent executives and legislators have been more fiscally responsible and less wasteful. They also have been more willing to cut and reform programs that need reform from a financial perspective.
Understood, but I'm still thinking we are not of like mind even though we agree about much...

That "both sides are hypocritical" really does not mean you are not more closely aligned with one party's platform vs another. I am still quite sure if you did a thorough review of your political opinions then matched and weighted them, you would find that you are either more inclined toward the liberal/Democrat agenda or the conservative/Republican agenda. Whether either party can find a way to well promote that agenda given the balance, challenge and issues born from our political process is another matter entirely.

Political parties are not "silly." They are inevitable. Just as you point out what is "human nature" on the one hand, people will congregate around their common beliefs, whether religion or politics. If not to promote their own interests, to confront those who are promoting opposing interests. Liberals/Democrats, for example, line up on the side of women's right to choose. Conservatives/Republicans line up to shut down Planned Parenthood...

Liberals/Democrats lean toward more support of public education with calls for the more wealthy to pay more in the way of net federal taxes. Conservatives/Republicans lean more toward privatization and lower taxes "for all."

Properly define these differences and run down the line of all such political differences, note where you stand on these issues, and trust me..., you will not be an independent "fence sitter." You will end up on one side of that fence or the other.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 887,754 times
I'm ESTJ "The Executive" ... I take it every year, always the same result.

Extremely conservative, Christian.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times
Adventurer- ISFP,-A-T) whatever the heck that that means.

Liberal

Old 10-07-2017, 12:15 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Adventurer- ISFP,-A-T) whatever the heck that that means.

Liberal
What caused you two to visit this thread after so long dormant? Always curious about that sort of thing...

Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,646 times
Attention please, I've changed my career....I'm now an architect INTJ-A

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
My results: INFJ-A

This describes me: Advocates indeed share a unique combination of traits: though soft-spoken, they have very strong opinions and will fight tirelessly for an idea they believe in. They are decisive and strong-willed, but will rarely use that energy for personal gain – Advocates will act with creativity, imagination, conviction and sensitivity not to create advantage, but to create balance. Egalitarianism and karma are very attractive ideas to Advocates, and they tend to believe that nothing would help the world so much as using love and compassion to soften the hearts of tyrants.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:42 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
My results: INFJ-A

This describes me: Advocates indeed share a unique combination of traits: though soft-spoken, they have very strong opinions and will fight tirelessly for an idea they believe in. They are decisive and strong-willed, but will rarely use that energy for personal gain – Advocates will act with creativity, imagination, conviction and sensitivity not to create advantage, but to create balance. Egalitarianism and karma are very attractive ideas to Advocates, and they tend to believe that nothing would help the world so much as using love and compassion to soften the hearts of tyrants.
I think that sounds like me, but it also sounds unrealistic. Anyway, I always test as INTJ or ENTJ, heavy on the T, very light on the J.

I am a moderate, idealistically libertarian.

My husband is an ISFJ (very heavy on the F and 100% J) and super left wing, very into big government because he thinks people can't manage themselves.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:45 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I took the test. I was not surprised by the results.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think that sounds like me, but I always test as INTJ or ENTJ, heavy on the T.

I am a moderate, idealistically libertarian.

My husband is an ISFJ (very heavy on the F and 100% J) and super left wing, very into big government because he thinks people can't manage themselves.

One of the questions in the test asks how I will deal with a friend that has a problem, either comfort that person or offer a solution to their problem? I picked offer a solution. While I am good at offering comfort and support, I want that person to come up with a solution to their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies