Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I'm just out of your "young" category, but if I had to base the future of the country on the way my friends and I acted when we were young, I'd be worried too. Fortunately, they're going to figure out who they are, what they want to be, what kind of world they want to live in, and stand poised to be the most successful generation of Americans there has ever been. The technology and creativity that is being generated right now is mind blowing.
I agree and on top of that, they are fully armed with the knowledge that there is no job/industry loyalty and they maneuver without expecting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
[quote=maineguy8888;49107334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I respect your opinion, if you respect mine, we're all good . As far as age it's only a matter of reference, I'm older than you, and you're older than a 25 year old. You and I grew up during the cold war years, we drilled hiding in school hallways in preparation for nuclear war with the communists. Today, Marxist communism has failed, and the world is far more cosmopolitan than it was 50 years ago. The problems the next generation face are different and their solutions have to adapt or the US will resemble the middle east with warring ideologies and changing regimes, but marginal growth and prosperity. I talk to a lot of kids at the college level, they are admittedly far left within the university environment. But I find they become much more moderate as they mature and advance in their careers. I really don't know what you mean by this rapid "decline", what decline, because people are fighting over health care, differences in political positions, immigration, what? I"m confident the "kids" will take care of themselves, I won't be here in 50 years to know how well or what they accomplished. But when I look at where my generation is leaving the country for the next generation, I'm not so sure we did a good job either.[/quote.

I do respect your opinion, and would agree with you about your last point. The biggest failure of my generation (and yours) is how we parented and are parenting. Because, while your generation and mine may not have much truck with anarchists or communists, we raised kids who by and large are now fine with those two wretched approaches (I'm talking about 20-40 year olds). And it's not as if doing a good job steering them clear of that crap would have been hard: my kids are young but I've already started talking with them about how comically stupid anarchy and communism are, and WHY it is that younger people mindlessly start to think that they're cool ideologies. The whole discussion takes a half hour, tops. It's like explaining to a kid why they shouldn't jump into a tub with a toaster.........pretty simple stuff. The kids will learn if you take the time to teach them....
But your generation did a lousy job and didn't even bother; my generation isn't doing much better. And so we have all these brain dead sheep walking around who are straight out of 1984 or the Cultural Revolution........makes Clockwork Orange look like a teddy bear picnic.

I don't know where you live, but I live in the metro NYC/Boston corridor, the heart of liberal America, and I don't see nor have I heard any advocacy for living in the collective state.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:12 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Your last statement could be applied to the rednecks who put Trump in office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"could be applied to the rednecks who put Trump in office."

This type of elitist attitude is just 1 example of WHY the left has lost over 1,00 political seats since 2009. A RECORD not soon beaten.

You shouldn't look down on the guy who fixes your brakes, you and your families lives are at stake.

Maybe YOU should clean up the mess when your toilet overflows and you call a plumber,

Who are you going to call when your Internet goes down? When your roof leaks, etc, etc., etc.?

You won't know how to act.
Are you suggesting that everyone that does the type of work you've mentioned all voted for Trump? Laughable!

The person you responded to was describing real rednecks: trailer parks (where no one works), beer cans everywhere, shooting BB guns at everything, cars on blocks forever, dealing drugs to their community, big Trump banners on the side of their trailer. The interesting thing is they don't mind accepting welfare... a social program.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
I'm 30, and I've never met an anarchist, marxist, or communist in my generation (Here in the US). In China I've met a lot of communists, and a couple marxists. If you met a real communist, you would know. I've never met an American who opposes private property rights.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Are you suggesting that everyone that does the type of work you've mentioned all voted for Trump? Laughable!

The person you responded to was describing real rednecks: trailer parks (where no one works), beer cans everywhere, shooting BB guns at everything, cars on blocks forever, dealing drugs to their community, big Trump banners on the side of their trailer. The interesting thing is they don't mind accepting welfare... a social program.
What's the difference between the crowd you describe above, and the inner-city variant of it?? (Other than race and who they always vote for)??
Answer: NOT ONE THING.
lol

Old 08-07-2017, 02:34 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm 30, and I've never met an anarchist, marxist, or communist in my generation (Here in the US). In China I've met a lot of communists, and a couple marxists. If you met a real communist, you would know. I've never met an American who opposes private property rights.
Wow, you have led a really, really sheltered life. I don't even get out much (or do much surfing), and I see them all the freaking time.

Maybe you were just being dishonest??

Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Wow, you have led a really, really sheltered life. I don't even get out much (or do much surfing), and I see them all the freaking time.

Maybe you were just being dishonest??
Or maybe it's because most, like 99% of millennial aren't communists or anarchists.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:08 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Even a 105-year old has the right to an opinion about how the world is going..................(and they just might have some wisdom that a 25 year old does not....)
Maybe you consider 53 to be old. If so, that's pretty weird. Just saying!

It's not like I think MY generation was/is that smart or bright...........we weren't. But as I've noted, at least there are few anarchists or communists among us. Most of us were at least smart enough to reject THAT pablum.

As far as the generations go, I think it's been all downhill ever since a bunch of people back in the mid 1800s bought into the absolutely ludicrous brain vomit that had just been published by Mssrs. Marx and Engel (rather than unanimously pointing at them and laughing.) It's just that the speed of our decline has picked up exponentially in the last twenty years.
Why do I get the feeling that your definition of communist is anyone that is not a far right Republican that agrees with you 100% on every political topic?

You should save your energy for the important things in life, telling kids to get off your lawn and yelling at the passing clouds. Seriously, has anyone noticed with growing alarm the number of American clouds that don't adhere to the tenets of free market capitalism and believe that in the sky their are no rules.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:20 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
I SUPPOSE that saying "what in the hell are you talking about?" COULD be considered making "a valid point".....
Well, at least in some cultures!.....
So I feel I must apologize.
I think the poster that asked what the hell you are talking about has made the only cogent point possible in this ridiculous thread. The fact that you can't even begin to demonstrate a single rational thought let alone a reasonable point worthy of serious debate or discussion leads to the obvious question - what the hell are you talking about?

From what I can tell your post was the result of a combination of Xanax, alcohol and a weird form of Tourette's in which you spout the words "anarchist" or "communist" at random moments during the day. Am I right, comrade?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
(I will use a pretty broad definition of the word young----as adulthood becomes more and more delayed, I guess it's okay to call 35 and under "young").
So many of them think that it's cool to be an anarchist or cultural Marxist/communist. Most have never thought about it too much and don't understand things too well--but they've decided in some manner that those two paths are pretty cool.
They also rarely come right out and say "this is what I am", but their words regularly reveal where they stand and what they think.
And I am talking about a HUGE chunk of that age group, across all cohorts and categories.

Given this reality, America is dead as a successful society. One little nudge, and over the cliff she goes.
Oh please.

They said the same things about the hippies.

They smoked weed, dodged the Vietnam draft, milked their parents dry, and fornicated to their hearts content and look at them now: they're all trying to get into heaven.

Pfff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies