Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:02 AM

146 posts, read 174,367 times

Advertisements

This is a very controversial opinion and god forbid anyone actually takes this literally but some Europeans I've talked to say that the problem of Islam would be taken seriously if an attack by refugees hijackers would crash planes into landmark targets across Western Europe took place.

I know a lot of people that are 'liberal' and 'conservative' (in European terms) adamant that those politicians in Brussels wouldn't be so lax if they saw the destruction to the EU Parliament that almost always occurs on the streets to civilians by planes just like the U.S government saw when Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon and Flight 93 failed to crash into the Capitol Building. Again I am not in any way condoning violence I'm just asking a question as to how such an attack would change Europe.

It's no doubt that despite the immorality of the unfortunate attacks on September 11th, the US has changed for the better in some ways. Immigration controls are beefed up and people actually understand how much more liberal and lax the pre-911 U.S was. People are now serious about terrorism even though it may be over-exaggerated.

This does not seem to be the case for fellow Europeans. Despite 7/7, Madrid bombings, Nice attack and all those I can't list off my head, people are not willing to curb immigration from Muslim countries.

I've heard people saying that a 9/11 attack wouldn't even change much because the problem of immigration in Europe is one of geopolitics. American's in a way are blessed with their position in relation to the 'main world' so immigration was never an issue. Similar to Australia. Europeans are unfortunate to have undesirable neighbours called Greece and Turkey who don't do much to prevent refugees from flooding Europe. Even news came out that Erdogan threatened to release millions of migrants into Europe if he didn't get EU membership talks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
9/11 is nothing compared to what Europe has seen over its history. Pffffft....3000 People? Europeans have seen death and devastation beyond what any American can even begin to imagine.

Greece and Turkey are their undesirable neighbors? Really? LOL..historically, European nations have been their own worst undesirable neighbors. It's not Greece and Turkey's job to fix all of Europe's immigration problems. Especially when Britain and France have been the historical cause of instability in the Middle East in the first place.

Europe lives in a tough neighborhood with a lot of unrest to the south of them. I don't know what they can do to alleviate their problem, but i trust that they'll eventually figure it out. If they don't, oh well.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:22 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
9/11 is nothing compared to what Europe has seen over its history. Pffffft....3000 People? Europeans have seen death and devastation beyond what any American can even begin to imagine.

Greece and Turkey are their undesirable neighbors? Really? LOL..historically, European nations have been their own worst undesirable neighbors. It's not Greece and Turkey's job to fix all of Europe's immigration problems. Especially when Britain and France have been the historical cause of instability in the Middle East in the first place.

Europe lives in a tough neighborhood with a lot of unrest to the south of them. I don't know what they can do to alleviate their problem, but i trust that they'll eventually figure it out. If they don't, oh well.

Only a couple of decades a go there was mass genocide and ethnic cleansing during the Balkans War.

The EU is currently under a lot of pressure to change and not just in relation to Brexit, but also in relation to the East European members of the EU who are refusing to take immigrant. Poland has already been threatened with having it's EU vote taken away from it.

EU migration showdown: divide deepens after *Brussels launches legal action against Hungary, Poland and Czech Republic -Telegraph

Poland could be stripped of EU voting rights after abolishing judiciary's independence | The Independent

As for the Middle East, lots of countries meddled, indeed the Otterman Empire was closely alligned with Germany, which is why after WW1 it was broken up and Britain were given a League of Nations Manadate (a kind of UN Peacekeeping force role) in Palestine, and the French also had a similar role in parts of the Middle East.

The Mandate (1920-47) was very very unpopular in Britain from the very start and most people wanted British troops out of Palestine, as did the media,and it was with some relief that we left in 1948 and handed it over control to the UN. During our time in Palestine, we were attacked by all sides, but especially by militant Zionist groups suh as Irgun, and the killing of British soldiers and King David Hotel Bombing led to Anti-Jewish Rioting in British Cities back home in 1947.

Britain's last anti-Jewish riots - New Statesman

UN partition of Palestine - BBC NEWS

We then advised against the partitioining of Palestine and the creation of the state of Israel, and abstained from the vote to create Israel, the only western country to do so. We only abstained because we didn't want to offend the US and Truman who supported the creation of the new state. Britain also abstained again 65 years later in 2012 when the UN held a vote to recognise the state of Palestine.

Here's how countries voted on Palestinian statehood today— and Israeli statehood 65 years ago - Quartz

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-07-2017 at 03:53 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 03:44 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
No. It didn't change the liberal/progressive mindset in the U.S. so why would it change Europe. We got Obama who left our borders open to criminals, and terrorists, and imported Muslim refugees, and planted them throughout the country. Europe could go through several 9/11's, and still import leaching terrorists, and criminals.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
This is a very controversial opinion and god forbid anyone actually takes this literally but some Europeans I've talked to say that the problem of Islam would be taken seriously if an attack by refugees hijackers would crash planes into landmark targets across Western Europe took place.

I know a lot of people that are 'liberal' and 'conservative' (in European terms) adamant that those politicians in Brussels wouldn't be so lax if they saw the destruction to the EU Parliament that almost always occurs on the streets to civilians by planes just like the U.S government saw when Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon and Flight 93 failed to crash into the Capitol Building. Again I am not in any way condoning violence I'm just asking a question as to how such an attack would change Europe.

It's no doubt that despite the immorality of the unfortunate attacks on September 11th, the US has changed for the better in some ways. Immigration controls are beefed up and people actually understand how much more liberal and lax the pre-911 U.S was. People are now serious about terrorism even though it may be over-exaggerated.

This does not seem to be the case for fellow Europeans. Despite 7/7, Madrid bombings, Nice attack and all those I can't list off my head, people are not willing to curb immigration from Muslim countries.

I've heard people saying that a 9/11 attack wouldn't even change much because the problem of immigration in Europe is one of geopolitics. American's in a way are blessed with their position in relation to the 'main world' so immigration was never an issue. Similar to Australia. Europeans are unfortunate to have undesirable neighbours called Greece and Turkey who don't do much to prevent refugees from flooding Europe. Even news came out that Erdogan threatened to release millions of migrants into Europe if he didn't get EU membership talks.
This a baffling post. Absolutely none of the changes after 9/11 were positive. Tightened security(and subsequent more scriticized and as a result more burdensome normal activities) as result of a major violent event can in no way be considered positive in my mind.
And greece, turkey especially have been very cooperative in solving the refugee crisis, however turkey seems to be getting fed up.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 AM

146 posts, read 174,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This a baffling post. Absolutely none of the changes after 9/11 were positive. Tightened security(and subsequent more scriticized and as a result more burdensome normal activities) as result of a major violent event can in no way be considered positive in my mind.
And greece, turkey especially have been very cooperative in solving the refugee crisis, however turkey seems to be getting fed up.
Perhaps but one thing that's has undeniably been improved is avaiation security in terms of terrorist threats and overall security.

Because 9/11 happened, you or people you care about have an essentially zero chance of dying from another suicide hijacking. Reinforced cockpit doors, passengers with high resistance, relatively improved airport security (though I do agree fully that the TSA has gone to ****).

Also the safety of flying aeroplanes has increased in general. I heard that there have been less crashes between in the noughties than any random 5 years in the 1990s.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No. It didn't change the liberal/progressive mindset in the U.S. so why would it change Europe. We got Obama who left our borders open to criminals, and terrorists, and imported Muslim refugees, and planted them throughout the country. Europe could go through several 9/11's, and still import leaching terrorists, and criminals.
9/11 had nothing to do with our immigration policies, and everything to do with blowback for carrying out a stupid foreign policy for 60 or so years in the Middle East. We couldn't have stopped 9/11 if our lives had depended on it.

How about this; if you don't want more 9/11's, stop meddling in Middle Eastern affairs.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
We may have just averted one a few days ago.

Inside flight EY 451: Etihad Airways jet targeted by 'meat grinder bomb' was carrying up to 412 people - NZ Herald

Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,709 times
It would obviously swing some folks in the middle to a more conservative stand on immigration but I am guessing it will not be enough to make most Western EU nations change. I think many Americans do not fully grasp how liberal Western Europe is.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Geez. That would've been disastrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies