U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
6,744 posts, read 1,938,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Am I wrong about what the topic of this thread is? The article linked in the OP gave mention of this memo but I thought it was more about the ideological blacklisting some google managers were boasting about on internal company bulletin boards.
That was Breitbart's spin on it, they had multiple pieces re: the same event without a link to the full memo referenced. Even so, they were encouraging a boycott or whatever, some folks bought the spin ~ hook, line & sinker:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Google, Amazon, Yahoo, MSN, etc. All far left, radical, social justice warrior companies. I won't buy anything from them. Too liberal/progressive, and intolerant of other views. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 AM

7,949 posts, read 3,738,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think it's interesting that you describe racism and sexism as conservative. This kind of honesty is refreshing.

I don't know which poster you were responding to, but keep in mind that speaking out against liberal social engineering via "diversity hiring goals" is hardly racist/sexist.

Granted, I know that is how the PC leftist work, as they want to push their agenda, and anyone who disagrees with it must be attacked, demonized, and ruined if possible.
Remember, that is all part of their desire to "COEXIST" being the freedom loving open-minded people they think of themselves as.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM

14,446 posts, read 7,107,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Even if he was right about the anxiety- so what, that is theirs to deal with, it doesn't make them ineffective. Maybe when a woman asserts herself or expresses emotions, this guy sees "female anxiety". And that makes him uncomfortable.
ITA with the bold in particular.

In my experience, when women are anxious and show it, they do their best to "fix" or improve whatever it is they were/are anxious about at work. Maybe since I'm a woman, them showing that anxiety doesn't bother me all that much. Men may be more bothered by it than a woman would be.

I will note though I used to have a boss who was very anxious, the person who was my EO in the meeting I described that brought up too much political conversations. She felt that because I am not a person who shows anxiety emotionally/physically that I didn't have a "sense of urgency." Many women show this "sense of urgency" by appearing to be anxious and I do believe that some men just may see this behavior as a woman breaking down emotionally instead of her making that task/incident of supreme importance. I had to have a meeting with this particular EO (who I adored BTW even though she shouldn't have been having so many political discussions at work lol, I counseled her about that in particular) about the fact that just because I didn't go off the deep end about a situation, it didn't mean that that situation wasn't urgent to me. She admitted that all of the "fires" thrown my way, I handled immediately and effectively without looking anxious. She then wanted to know how I did it without being anxious about it. I told her I just thought of solutions and got it done. That is my work attitude and one that many of my male co-workers have said they feel is more "masculine" on my part and "assertive" (and b*tchy, I've heard some say that about me lol). I only get outwardly anxious about stuff at home. Work is work and for me there is not need to get all jittery about it like my EO expected of a woman in the workplace to do about outrageous, emergency situations in particular.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 AM

7,949 posts, read 3,738,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
Companies do not hire candidates that don't fit in their company culture all the time. I don't see why this case is different.
Google manages his offices and employees as the board likes, engineer doesn't like it, engineer doesn't have to work there. If he feels discriminated against slap them with a lawsuit but don't be whining.
Not a bad approach, however how successful do you think "reverse discrimination" lawsuits are in the environment we live in today?
First of all, good luck in trying to find a group representing the interests of white people to pay for your legal expenses like there are for minority groups. Try doing it through the companies HR division and see how far you get.
Many a private lawsuit of a white person (who was superior in their qualifications) for a job, promotion, admission, etc., have been lost because the mantra of social engineering for the benefit of minorities has prevailed.

It is the same concept with so called "hate crime" laws. It is presumed that any minority(religious/race/orientation)attacked by a white has a hateful purpose, thus the liberal media will always mention race or other factors that have nothing to do with the crime. Yet, reverse the exact same crime with the suspect being a minority and the victim being white, and nothing is implied. This is even true when racial epithets have been uttered against the white victim. Yet to liberals, it is just an economic crime.

So if the deck is stacked against you, don't assume your chances of success are equal to anyone else. As a comparative analogy, how many Dads win custody battles vs. the Moms?
So why waste the money and time knowing you are going to lose before the trial ever gets started.

`

Old 08-08-2017, 10:27 AM

8,711 posts, read 2,406,950 times
The interesting thing about "conservatives" if they feel that just because they work somewhere - or visit someone else's web site, etc. - they feel the "right" to "free speech" to inform others of their views.

The question here has nothing to do with "politically correct" and everything to do with a lowly employee who is hired to do a job....decided that he is going to mouth off with Rushbo Hate to a large email list.

It's not rocket science to ask that an employee keep such things to themselves and.or to debate outside of company time.

All in all, it's obvious that "conservatives" are somewhat upset than when they look at Google, Apple, Facebook and most all of Silicon Valley, they don't see it as being a creation of their knuckle-dragging ways. That is, it is largely created and advanced by those with progressive views, immigrants and others with a more expansive world view.

This has their snowflakes REALLY melting.

The Solution is quite simple. Confederates should head back to the deep South or Florida and go into selling Real Estate. It's booming. Or, they can prep and head out to Idaho.

Or, if this dude is so smart, he should start his own company and show us how "conservatives" do it.

Isn't it Ironic that Breitbart and Bannon made their living doing "Hollyweird" movies and shows? I think they are full of self-hate and therefore become reactionaries.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,700,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
Imagine working for some oppressive lib corporation like GOOGLE. eventually, you have to blow some honest steam to keep your sanity.
It's funny how the right only supports union-esque protections in employment when someone gets fired for a poorly written and ill-advised screed that plays to their political views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Even though I personally disagree with firing him, I would've fired him too. It was simply necessary to avoid a massive public backlash/boycotts/etc. Google had a responsibility to its shareholders (myself included) to do this.
When an employee's poor judgment causes risks for workforce morale & corporate PR, that employee should be terminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Of course they do.

Companies create "Mission Statements," "Codes of Conduct," "Corporate Values Statements," and "Corporate Goals" to TELL their employees what is expected of them and how it is expected to be done. There is nothing new there.
True indeed. What do you know, Google is a corporation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Well this dude was obviously sensitive on top of being stupid. Have you seen his photo? Super nerd, graduated from Harvard, making 6 figures in lovely Cali, working at a tech giant with endless opportunities, and this fool still mad at life! Blows me away.
Having read the memo, I think his biggest problem is having his head up his own rear. He hasn't solved diversity in tech by spending a couple of hours writing this memo based on ultra-stretched conjecture from existing studies and his own sociopolitical bias. He just made himself feel good.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
6,744 posts, read 1,938,516 times
This link contains a more readable & complete with formatting, charts, etc. version of Mr. Damore's memo:

https://medium.com/@Cernovich/full-j...es-339f3d2d05f

Although this link contains Ms. Brown's response:

Quote:
Update 7:25pm ET: Google’s new Vice President of Diversity, Integrity & Governance, Danielle Brown, issued the following statement in response to the internal employee memo:

Googlers,

I’m Danielle, Google’s brand new VP of Diversity, Integrity & Governance. I started just a couple of weeks ago, and I had hoped to take another week or so to get the lay of the land before introducing myself to you all. But given the heated debate we’ve seen over the past few days, I feel compelled to say a few words.

Many of you have read an internal document shared by someone in our engineering organization, expressing views on the natural abilities and characteristics of different genders, as well as whether one can speak freely of these things at Google. And like many of you, I found that it advanced incorrect assumptions about gender. I’m not going to link to it here as it’s not a viewpoint that I or this company endorses, promotes or encourages.

Diversity and inclusion are a fundamental part of our values and the culture we continue to cultivate. We are unequivocal in our belief that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success as a company, and we’ll continue to stand for that and be committed to it for the long haul. As Ari Balogh said in his internal G+ post, “Building an open, inclusive environment is core to who we are, and the right thing to do. ‘Nuff said. “

Google has taken a strong stand on this issue, by releasing its demographic data and creating a company wide OKR on diversity and inclusion. Strong stands elicit strong reactions. Changing a culture is hard, and it’s often uncomfortable. But I firmly believe Google is doing the right thing, and that’s why I took this job.

Part of building an open, inclusive environment means fostering a culture in which those with alternative views, including different political views, feel safe sharing their opinions. But that discourse needs to work alongside the principles of equal employment found in our Code of Conduct, policies, and anti-discrimination laws.

I’ve been in the industry for a long time, and I can tell you that I’ve never worked at a company that has so many platforms for employees to express themselves—TGIF, Memegen, internal G+, thousands of discussion groups. I know this conversation doesn’t end with my email today. I look forward to continuing to hear your thoughts as I settle in and meet with Googlers across the company.

Thanks,

Danielle
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Old 08-08-2017, 10:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 8,656,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Mr. Google defined what is inappropriate.

Just curious, how do you define inappropriate in the workplace, if it were up to you to define?
Can I define any talk related to homosexuality is inappropriate?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:33 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,847,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Would Google fire a woman for commenting on the diversity policy? Obviously not as we can see from all the internal responses to this incident. Different standards for different sexes is illegal sex discrimination.
Nope. If a woman or anyone contributed to a hostile work environment by harassment and making others uncomfortable, that's grounds for termination.

It begs incredibility that this guy wants a pass to spew his sexist views in the workplace and wonders why he's not in the workplace anymore.

You a lawyer? Go ahead and take the case if you want.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM

8,711 posts, read 2,406,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Google, Amazon, Yahoo, MSN, etc. All far left, radical, social justice warrior companies. I won't buy anything from them. Too liberal/progressive, and intolerant of other views. No thanks.
So you don't use Google, Amazon or even MicroSoft services, products, etc.

I have news for you. Every page you load up on the interweb uses software often written or upgraded by google.

Many sites you use are hosted on Amazon (cloud).

Are you saying that you don't use Android on any devices? It's probably the embedded OS on a lot of wireless devices you use in your house (if you use any).

I'd bet dollars to donuts I could examine your life and find lots of evidence of your use of communist chinese stuff and liberal/progressive output. I'd also wager that it would hard to find stuff in your life (IP, innovation) which was created by "true conservatives".

There is a reason that the Bay Area, Boston, NYC and other such places are where the modern world is created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies