U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
6,732 posts, read 1,930,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yeah, they are crying out for Rushbo and Hannity to give them life and business advice.

Rushbo suggests large doses of opiates while Faux News staffers suggest puzzy grabbing and riling up old people to shout at the TV.

Funny stuff. You'd think - in a perfect world - that "conservatives" would just show us how it was done by making their ranks succeed. I guess in some way they have. Idaho is doing well - the prepping economy is booming.
Mr. Damore's memo also compared what he determined to be left v right biases ~ unable to cite the part where he does so but it's in the complete & more readable link.

This part is interesting to me as well as his assumptions re: gender.

Accommodating improvisation tends to be at odds with 'conservativism' because of its general tendency to deny the necessity of adapting systems relative to changes in conditions. Sometimes, it's similar to the 'canary in a coal mine' where some see the need for change before others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Seriously. Some people have it so good they think they're invincible. His views aside, this guy is likely making $300k-500k in his 30's in one of the MOST secure jobs in this country, with unlimited upwards potential, and he really didn't think twice about releasing a "manifesto" that I'm sure he knew would create waves for his company? I gotta believe anyone in DJT's base, like coal country or factory workers, would call this guy a damn fool if nothing else.
Perhaps he applied for the Vice President of Diversity, Integrity & Governance position at Google & didn't get it? Lol

Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM

2,333 posts, read 931,146 times
I actually agree with the guy on the political points, and if he had stuck to that, he would've been fine. Who doesn't know the bay area is overwhelming liberal, which can lead to conservative voices being ignored if not repressed? OTOH This may be natural, and could happen in reverse in extremely conservative areas too. IDK, but I think there's nothing wrong with that debate.

Where he went wrong is ranting about women. This is not a political issue. This is why he deserved to be fired... who wants to manage, or be managed by, a guy who thinks women are inherently neurotic and can't cut it in stressful jobs??? Would YOU be OK if someone you managed came out with a "manifesto" saying people of your religion, gender, alma mater, whatever, are inherently incapable? You'd fire this punk too. Or let's say he was your boss... you really think someone like that is gonna judge you equally with your other coworkers?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM

6,013 posts, read 2,697,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Perhaps he applied for the Vice President of Diversity, Integrity & Governance position at Google & didn't get it? Lol
That's a ridiculous title you would think you couldn't make up and yet someone at Google did lol.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM

16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
Quote:
I actually agree with the guy on the political points, and if he had stuck to that, he would've been fine. Who doesn't know the bay area is overwhelming liberal, which can lead to conservative voices being ignored if not repressed? OTOH This may be natural, and could happen in reverse in extremely conservative areas too. IDK, but I think there's nothing wrong with that debate.

Where he went wrong is ranting about women. This is not a political issue. This is why he deserved to be fired... who wants to manage, or be managed by, a guy who thinks women are inherently neurotic and can't cut it in stressful jobs??? Would YOU be OK if someone you managed came out with a "manifesto" saying people of your religion, gender, alma mater, whatever, are inherently incapable? You'd fire this punk too. Or let's say he was your boss... you really think someone like that is gonna judge you equally with your other coworkers?
Any idea why oil rigs aren't full of women?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Here's the memo referenced by Ms. Brown:

Quote:
And here is the memo Brown refers to from Google VP Ari Balogh, whom that employee reports to, which was posted yesterday.

Quote:
I’d like to respond to the "pc-considered-harmful" post. Questioning our assumptions and sharing different perspectives is an important part of our culture, and we want to continue fostering an environment where it’s safe to engage in challenging conversations in a thoughtful way. But, in the process of doing that, we cannot allow stereotyping and harmful assumptions to play any part. One of the aspects of the post that troubled me deeply was the bias inherent in suggesting that most women, or men, feel or act a certain way. That is stereotyping, and it is harmful.

Building an open, inclusive environment is core to who we are, and the right thing to do. ‘Nuff said.
https://www.recode.net/2017/8/5/1610...-employee-memo

Apparently, Mr. Balogh is Mr. Damore's boss?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 AM

2,333 posts, read 931,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Any idea why oil rigs aren't full of women?
What does that have to do with a cushy office job, where there are numerous women at the executive level? You do know the CEO of Youtube, a Google company, is a woman, right?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If you think that way fine. However do you stay consistent when Google makes corporate decisions to promote liberals views that create backlash from moderates and conservatives?
I mean Google has done things like put up a workers unite theme on May Day which pissed off a lot of people.
Should the person who came up with that idea (and anyone who approved it) be fired?
How does that connect to this? How does a theme of unity **** people off? Aren't most folks in the US workers?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 AM

3,454 posts, read 1,695,480 times
Quote:

I agree with you. The sad part here is that there are kernels of decent ideas in the memo (like promoting stress reduction and pair programming), but they are lost under the weight of his ideas about the nature of men & women & people of different races: ideas which are as poorly conceived as they are inappropriate for a memo distributed at one's job--OBVIOUSLY.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM

16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with a cushy office job, where there are numerous women at the executive level? You do know the CEO of Youtube, a Google company, is a woman, right?
Yes, one example proves me wrong.

Generally speaking, women aren't taking high stress and high risk jobs. Of course there are exceptions - life is full of exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies