U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:06 PM

6,501 posts, read 2,364,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What exactly do you think you are proving there? Only 9.6% of registered nurses re male. Why are there so few men in nursing, the pay is excellent there's potential for advancement & it's easy to find a job with flexible hours. To follow your reasoning the lack of male registered nurses must mean that they are incapable of doing the job. As you can see that silliness cuts both ways.
... partly because of inertia from the time when it was a female-only job but mostly because men don't tend to find that sort of work attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 03:20 PM

3,057 posts, read 4,912,283 times
I wonder how Google explains these results:

For the past 14 years Google has run a worldwide coding competition called CodeJam. It attracts tens of thousands of applicants, Including thousands of woman. The 20 finalists are flown to Google headquarters in Dublin where the competition continues and the winner is crowned.

In 14 years there have been 280 finalists. There has never been a female among the 280 finalists.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:24 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,491,878 times
Men choose work which earns them money and power (power, in this sense means control over his work-life), there are neither in nursing. The male nurses that I work with tend to be less formally educated and worldly, but are strong with the medicine and garner patient satisfaction. Modern nursing is more about healing than nurturing, and more men will enter the profession, albeit slowly in terms of numbers.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM

924 posts, read 467,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
... partly because of inertia from the time when it was a female-only job but mostly because men don't tend to find that sort of work attractive.
Yes, due to the very sex differences that Google denies exist.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:12 PM

18,366 posts, read 7,122,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And the same can be used as excuses for the small number of female firefighters

Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM

3,790 posts, read 1,291,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I wonder how Google explains these results:

For the past 14 years Google has run a worldwide coding competition called CodeJam. It attracts tens of thousands of applicants, Including thousands of woman. The 20 finalists are flown to Google headquarters in Dublin where the competition continues and the winner is crowned.

In 14 years there have been 280 finalists. There has never been a female among the 280 finalists.
They don't explain them. Like all modern liberal bull**** theories, it's about snowflakes precious feelings not facts.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 PM

6,501 posts, read 2,364,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And the same can be used as excuses for the small number of female firefighters
...if by "used as excuses for" you mean to say "explain".

Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 PM

355 posts, read 128,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Psychologists Claim Google Viewpoint Diversity Manifesto Is Scientifically Accurate

Google employee James Damore, who authored the manifesto, has since been fired from Google, with the company claiming he had advanced “harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace.”
He is on the verge of turning the dreaded "30 years old" in Silicon Valley's ageist culture. They probably would have discarded him anyway in a couple of years. The "ageism" is real. It penetrates all demographic groups as a show stopper for career growth. Silicon Valley is an ageist society. It reminds me of "Logan's Run" - a futuristic "sci fi" from 1976 where citizens who turned 30 were terminated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USADM5Gk9Gs

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

144 posts, read 17,064 times
I saw that one via a Twitter post.

I wonder how long this video will stay online on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osadhS_zLW8

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

11,525 posts, read 5,307,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Then one wonders why you are on this thread.

I brought up Summers because he said basically the same thing and yet was rewarded with a plum job in the Obama Administration- a crowd I presume most critics of Damore have a fondness for.

I do agree that he was naïve to think this would not provoke a strong reaction. Maybe he saw that Summers survived it.
LOL on the bold. I'm on the thread because I wanted to speak about the subject from my own POV, which is based, in part on my work leading an HR department along with my knowing about the nuances of workplace issues such as these. You are the one who changed the subject to Summers.

The Obama Administration and Google are not the same organization and Damore is not Summers so Damore believing he would be treated similarly to Summers would be a stupid thing to do on his part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies