U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 09:25 AM

15,341 posts, read 7,808,194 times

Advertisements

Now the echo chamber echos back with two words, loudly and clear, "SHUT UP!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 AM

13,210 posts, read 6,367,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Would Google fire a woman for commenting on the diversity policy? Obviously not as we can see from all the internal responses to this incident. Different standards for different sexes is illegal sex discrimination.
When you see a memo written by a woman that stereotypes the "average African American" with a bunch of prejudiced views, I bet you will see her fired lol.

Less liberal companies fire people for this sort of thing all the time.

Only reason you know about this one is because it's Google and Google is a huge, well known, technological giant.

I've personally terminated people over stuff like this they've sent in emails and texts (on corp phones) at companies (plural!) that I've worked at.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:27 AM

7,608 posts, read 4,415,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
From an outside point of view, this means Google and other companies only want to exist in an echo chamber. While politics should stay out of the work place, they do drive some of our decisions. What's next for Google, not hire and blacklist people who have differing engineering ir marketing approaches?
Of course they do.

Companies create "Mission Statements," "Codes of Conduct," "Corporate Values Statements," and "Corporate Goals" to TELL their employees what is expected of them and how it is expected to be done. There is nothing new there.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM

10,648 posts, read 6,181,753 times
Quote:
Would Google fire a woman for commenting on the diversity policy? Obviously not as we can see from all the internal responses to this incident. Different standards for different sexes is illegal sex discrimination.

Great point. As Heston said in "Planet of the Apes", 'It seems some apes are more equal than others."

Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 AM

7,608 posts, read 4,415,241 times
Quote:
So, you pose a question and then answer it yourself using your own bias. If a woman wrote a manifesto within the company - one that goes directly against corporate policy - I would expect that she would be fired too. What evidence - where have you seen any examples that disprove this?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:51 AM

6,026 posts, read 1,591,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree with your post, and the bolded in particular. Google was right to get rid of him. I read it and it was extremely inappropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nowadays, speaking the truth is extremely inappropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It was HIS truth. And, he had every right to say what he thought was true. Google had every right to get rid of him for saying it, too.

That's how free speech works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree. There's no such thing as 'consequences-free-speech'.
Mr. Google determined what is inappropriate. Mr. Damore has the right to his memo, he doesn't have the right to be a Google employee.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM

8,068 posts, read 4,997,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think the bold was the reason for his being terminated. If he truly believes that "the average woman" is all those things he cited, then he opens up Google to a lot of discrimination suits by female staff.

As a woman, I honestly do believe that men are also prone to anxiety and are rather sensitive. They just may not show it in your face. But a woman who is emotional usually gets over whatever it is that got her emotional and will move on and do her best to do better. I do feel men and women are different biologically (of course!) but both genders are prone to anxiety. We just show that anxiety in different ways. I also do feel that women are assertive, it is just that oftentimes women are overly criticized for being assertive and some women will bend to the will of the criticizers and change their tone/behavior/actions to fit in with more of a docile "lady like" role. Honestly though, I don't see this often in the workplace today. But my line of work is not overly male dominated like the technology industry.
Even if he was right about the anxiety- so what, that is theirs to deal with, it doesn't make them ineffective. Maybe when a woman asserts herself or expresses emotions, this guy sees "female anxiety". And that makes him uncomfortable.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 AM

6,026 posts, read 1,591,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't disagree that Google could fire him.

I disagreed you calling his memo "inappropriate" without any supporting argument.
Mr. Google defined what is inappropriate.

Just curious, how do you define inappropriate in the workplace, if it were up to you to define?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

As a woman, I honestly do believe that men are also prone to anxiety and are rather sensitive. They just may not show it in your face. But a woman who is emotional usually gets over whatever it is that got her emotional and will move on and do her best to do better. I do feel men and women are different biologically (of course!) but both genders are prone to anxiety. We just show that anxiety in different ways. I also do feel that women are assertive, it is just that oftentimes women are overly criticized for being assertive and some women will bend to the will of the criticizers and change their tone/behavior/actions to fit in with more of a docile "lady like" role. Honestly though, I don't see this often in the workplace today. But my line of work is not overly male dominated like the technology industry.
Well this dude was obviously sensitive on top of being stupid. Have you seen his photo? Super nerd, graduated from Harvard, making 6 figures in lovely Cali, working at a tech giant with endless opportunities, and this fool still mad at life! Blows me away.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:00 AM

6,799 posts, read 3,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Even though I personally disagree with firing him, I would've fired him too. It was simply necessary to avoid a massive public backlash/boycotts/etc. Google had a responsibility to its shareholders (myself included) to do this.
If you think that way fine. However do you stay consistent when Google makes corporate decisions to promote liberals views that create backlash from moderates and conservatives?
I mean Google has done things like put up a workers unite theme on May Day which pissed off a lot of people.
Should the person who came up with that idea (and anyone who approved it) be fired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or