Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can say whatever you want, but perpetrating stereotypes doesn't belong in the workplace, this was an internal memo not some manifesto he wrote during his breaks and handed out to his friends.
What stereotype? Facts and truth aren't stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalFaygo View Post
But diversity isn't freedom to say anything in a professional setting. Nobody really thinks that. The only reason people are upset he was fired is because they agree with his opinion or are trying to make it a gotcha moment for Google. If the memo had said white people are inferior and math and so they shouldn't be hired the same people would want him fired.

It's also worth noting that the same people very vocally opposed to Google right now highly value at-will employment over unions and increased employee protections.
He never said women are inferior.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
How were you personally victimized? Do you work there?

How is this relevant?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
I'd also ask anybody who is outraged over his firing what they think about Colin Kapernick?
I am not outraged one bit over the firing, but Colin was dropped because he sucks at the position. I assure you if Brady did the same thing, NE would not be dropping him for it, or if they did, every other team would be waiting to pick him up.

At that, it was not only Colin taking a kneel, yet most of those that did are still playing, and if not, were dropped because of performance.

I will give you this; Miami probably does not want him due to his real or perceived views on Castro.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM

983 posts, read 737,552 times
Great points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fETRKW4XWfg

Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Again, very sad as individuals harmed by big corporations have no way to address their issues.
Doesn't seem to've stopped the class-action lawsuit:

More than 60 women consider suing Google, claiming sexism and a pay gap
Scandal over discrimination at the company deepens as dozens of current and former staff say they earned less than men despite equal qualifications

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...action-lawsuit

Quote:
What stereotype? Facts and truth aren't stereotypes.
Maybe Google, Inc. will use Mr. Damore's stereotypes to justify the pay gap?

Quote:
He never said women are inferior.
He just thinks most women should be paid less. Maybe Google should've given him a raise & promotion rather than giving him the boot.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Quote:
How were you personally victimized? Do you work there? Despite Google's high profile, this case has zero impact on yours or my daily life.
I personally am vastly more interested in things like this than the latest geopolitical sabre-rattling or endless threads about Trump this or liberals that. And I think there are some fairly key issues raised here and in the Airbnb thread.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Doesn't seem to've stopped the class-action lawsuit:

More than 60 women consider suing Google, claiming sexism and a pay gap
Scandal over discrimination at the company deepens as dozens of current and former staff say they earned less than men despite equal qualifications

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...action-lawsuit

Maybe Google, Inc. will use Mr. Damore's stereotypes to justify the pay gap?

He just thinks most women should be paid less. Maybe Google should've given him a raise & promotion rather than giving him the boot.
Women are paid less because they work less not because they are women!

If women are paid less for doing the same job, no sane business would hire men!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Did she say oil rigs?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,545 times
My understanding is that Google seems hypocritical. What about ageism?
I have worked in Information Technology as a software tester for 18 years.
When I relocated from Florida to Arizona last spring, I did an aggressive job
search. Phoenix was great for IT jobs.

But I stayed away from Silicon Valley. The common knowledge in the industry
is that the startups or young companies in Silicon Valley generally exhibit
ageism. Anyone (white, black, female, Asian, Native American, Hispanic, etc) over 30
pretty much is discriminated against. The impression I have is that applying for
a job in Silicon Valley is a waste of time for IT in many cases for those 30+ in age.

Exceptions may be on the "hardware" side of engineering: materials science,
mechanical, civil, infrastructure, etc. But software job searches seem like a waste
of time for anyone over 30 in Silicon Valley - especially at Google.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ite/479468001/

The movie "The Internship" blatantly made a mockery of Generation X men going into IT at Google.
In real life, it's like that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DjuGlVknQ

I manage to thrive despite being older by earning another MS in Software Engineering very recently.
I studied databases and Python 3.4 aggressively. It worked. I found a niche in data warehouse testing.
I turned the tables on the odds stacked against aged IT workers, but I had to work to do it.
It's hard to get a master's degree in computer science while working full time. I also learned Android,
AngularJS, Java 8, JavaFX, Cloud Computing, Data Structure and Algorithms, and the dreaded discrete math.
I learned how to reverse-engineer databases that had been poorly designed with documentation. That got my
foot in the door massively for many advanced test jobs despite being really old (LOL).
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/

But in case that dries up, my backup plan is to do mechanical/software control systems for embedded systems.
That's in demand too in Phoenix and many other places. Plus mechanical engineering doesn't suffer from ageism like software.

But Google and middle-aged employees apparently don't mix - like oil and water. It's hypocritical (in my opinion).
The irony is that even though I am older (Generation X) I am pretty much the same guy from the 1990s. I can still
go up Piestewa Peak in Phoenix under 27 minutes in 95F heat which is not easy to do - I pass a lot of young guys going up.
That's roughly about the same speed from my weekly hikes in 1995-1996. I still play basketball just like I did in the 1990s in Phoenix.
I got an "A" in operating systems just the other day for an online course. I did great on a large programming project for
multi-threaded programming with mutexes and semaphores. I am as IT competent as I have ever been.

But I know it's still best to avoid Silicon Valley. As a counter observation, I know those young guys will age too. Time stops
for no one. In about 7-13 years the tables will turn for many of the young who discriminate against those over 30. They'll get
to know what it feels like. Time flies fast - I still remember when I sent my first email attachment in 1990.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb9By-lODgk

Last edited by grad_student200; 08-08-2017 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies