Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Where did you get that from? I was under the impression it was an extremely rare (and elite) for an American today to have lineage going back [to the pre-1789 British Isles] in the US.
More than 90% of the Blacks and Whites in this country have such a lineage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Sounds like China and India is sending it's excess best people...and grooming them to take over. They take the high road to colonization, latin Americans and muslims take the low road to colonization of America.
That's cheap British and predominantly white mentality to invade , colonize or conquer. The results simply show the result of 1000's of years of culture , history and knowledge.

And they are not from the "holy lands" - who want to control or convert.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Where did you get that from? I was under the impression it was an extremely rare (and elite) for an American today to have lineage going back that far in the US. Isn't that why orgs like DAR are so exclusive?

I make no arguments about needing to treat immigrants today as the country did back then. I tend to agree with you at least that different scenarios justify different approaches. I just didn't understand that poster's incongruent statements; not sure he shares your views.
I don't know where you got that idea. Many WASPs and other British isles have been working class, dying in the coal mines, farmers etc. Many of them exist today in places like West Virginia, the South and all points in between.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
Well thanks to mass legal and illegal immigration plus free trade, America is getting increasingly to the point where your only shot at not having a crappy life and supporting your family is 1. being rich to begin with, 2. being an amazing student.

But your life will still be crappy because of congestion, cultural clashes and immigrants are propping up democrats and their identity politics and totalitarianism.
I don't think that's true... if anything, over time, it seems like there are way more ways to make money these days. Look at all the social media stars who do nothing that would make one money just 10 years ago, and yet make millions as teenagers. Tech advancements have created a ton of high skilled positions that wouldn't have existed 30 or 40 years ago, while things like social media are giving low skilled people a chance at making money without school or traditional achievements.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
I don't know where you got that idea. Many WASPs and other British isles have been working class, dying in the coal mines, farmers etc. Many of them exist today in places like West Virginia, the South and all points in between.
I don't know where I got that idea but I just always remember hearing about how elite/exclusive membership in orgs like Daughters or Sons of American Revolution were. I'm not doubting you; I am just confused about this.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
That's cheap British and predominantly white mentality to invade , colonize or conquer. The results simply show the result of 1000's of years of culture , history and knowledge.

And they are not from the "holy lands" - who want to control or convert.
Anti-British are we? They didn't do anything just about every other nation did or worse. You do realize the British were invaded several times in their history. The Romans, Vikings, the Normans etc. Immigration in America today is more like multi-national colonization.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know where I got that idea but I just always remember hearing about how elite/exclusive membership in orgs like Daughters or Sons of American Revolution were. I'm not doubting you; I am just confused about this.
My siblings and other relatives are daughters and sons of the American Revolution. You just have to trace your lineage to prove it. I don't know about it being that exclusive.

WASPs are classist I think and many of them use to make up the upper class, while they might have close relatives in poverty they keep at arm's length.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:04 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Since being a high achiever academic is the norm rather than the exception in their home countries, they have much more of an edge here since they stand out more.
But it's not the norm in "their home countries".

Old 08-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's true... if anything, over time, it seems like there are way more ways to make money these days. Look at all the social media stars who do nothing that would make one money just 10 years ago, and yet make millions as teenagers. Tech advancements have created a ton of high skilled positions that wouldn't have existed 30 or 40 years ago, while things like social media are giving low skilled people a chance at making money without school or traditional achievements.
I think not. Not that long ago around the time before globalization and mass immigration in the 1970s, a person without a high school diploma could earn a middle class living and support a large family on one income. You could quit one job and get another better one the next day.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:29 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I think not. Not that long ago around the time before globalization and mass immigration in the 1970s, a person without a high school diploma could earn a middle class living and support a large family on one income. You could quit one job and get another better one the next day.

So true, outsourcing and too much immigration both legal and illegal have diminished American job opportunities and lowered wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies