Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's not a fact.

But this is a fact:

Leftists flock to places where wealth exists or is being created because, fundamentally, the Left is parasitic.
No, this is not a fact. It is called gibberish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
So you want to show me proof that engineers are not conservative ?
Most scientists in this country are Democrats. That's a problem.
Quote:
It is no secret that the ranks of scientists and engineers in the United States include dismal numbers of Hispanics and African-Americans, but few have remarked about another significantly underrepresented group: Republicans.

No, this is not the punch line of a joke. A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation.
And ...

Democratic vs. Republican occupations
Engineering: 71 democrats for every 29 republicans
--- with electronics engineers 63 democrats for every 37 republicans
--- with software engineers 79 democrats for every 29 republicans
Science and Math: 78 democrats for every 22 republicans

Old 08-07-2017, 04:39 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
OK, here's another list. This one probably makes more sense anyway.

America's Top States for Innovation in 2016
1. Washington (state, not DC)
2. California
3. Massachusetts
4. New York
5. Maryland
6. Michigan
7. North Carolina
8. Colorado
9. Minnesota
10. Texas

ONE red state (TX), two purple states (CO and NC) and all the rest are blue states.
There are three red states in there but who cares about these lists, what makes an entire state innovative?

Have any of these states applied science and technology in an innovative way to solving problems like traffic congestion, can you go out to dinner in big cities in many of these state without being accosted by some mentally ill homeless person, high speed rail, state of the art airports and infrastructure?. I can tell you what makes japan , singapore ,south korea etc innovative ,

I cant really think of any state or city in the US that is innovative in any way in terms of living . I guess its just how many stem employees , patents , tech firms etc are the metrics they are using to make these lists. Most of these corporate office parks are pretty depressing and filled with sprawl, silicon valley, rtp are in north carolina, route 128 in boston etc

Old 08-07-2017, 04:41 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
NO! Really??! Oh thank you THANK YOU, Kansas for telling me what Austin is like.

Liberalism has F-all to do with any of this. OPs point was that an immigrant-friendly community was vital for tech and medical industries and I demolished that.

Try harder.
umm where did you demolish it? we missed it, maybe you edited it out or forgot to type it???

Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
But no one in this thread has presented any evidence that they are creating more wealth than the Right, or any wealth at all. And we know that the "fathers of Silicon Valley" are considered to be so far to the right that -- in the case of Terman -- schools named after him are being renamed and -- in the case of Shockley -- he wound up better-known for his views on race than for his Nobel Prize.
I'm very familiar with that, thank you (I'm a techie too, of sorts). There are a few well-known conservative Silicon Valley pioneers from the 60's and 70's. But it's not like they're the only ones who have innovated. I would hardly call Bill Gates, for example, a conservative. Silicon Valley has been pretty liberal for quite some while, as has Seattle, Austin, and pretty much every tech center you can think of (except maybe Utah). Do you seriously think all those Silicon Valley software engineers are voting for republicans? I don't think so (see post above). It is those techies who are creating wealth - William Shockley is hardly the only person in Silicon Valley who innovated and created wealth.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:46 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Democratic vs. Republican occupations
Engineering: 71 democrats for every 29 republicans
How can you believe something so obviously counterfactual? Note that there is nothing there to indicate how they came up with those numbers.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
There are three red states in there but who cares about these lists, what makes an entire state innovative?

Have any of these states applied science and technology in an innovative way to solving problems like traffic congestion, can you go out to dinner in big cities in many of these state without being accosted by some mentally ill homeless person, high speed rail, state of the art airports and infrastructure?. I can tell you what makes japan , singapore ,south korea etc innovative
I hardly think the presence of homeless people has anything to do with what some software engineers in some nearby offices are doing.

The airports, freeways and other infrastructure in Washington, California and Massachusetts are as good as anything in Texas. But again, this has nothing to do with the creativity of some engineers working in some offices. You're desperately trying to come up with something to explain away the lists I've found, but what you're explaining has nothing to do with actual technological innovation that people use.

Quote:
I cant really think of any state or city in the US that is innovative in any way in terms of living . I guess its just how many stem employees , patents , tech firms etc are the metrics they are using to make these lists. Most of these corporate office parks are pretty depressing and filled with sprawl, silicon valley, rtp are in north carolina, route 128 in boston etc
I agree they tend to be pretty soulless, but that has little to do with what the techies inside those offices are doing.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That is lunacy. How can you believe something so obviously counterfactual?
Translation: You cannot refute the data I have found so you simply dismiss it as incredulous. You are free to look for data to counter what I have just posted.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM

404 posts, read 193,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
What does this chart even mean....
BicoastalAnn, take the time to study the chart before launching into the now predictable ranting and raving about how right wing conspiracies etc.

Allowing yourself to be triggered by most anything not prescribed to you by your Liberal overlords can't be good in the long run. Time to use your mind and draw your own conclusions not based on what you should be thinking at any given time.

You are probably just a consumer like the rest of us. Probably purchased an iphone or ipad in your day as have the rest of us. No real degree of difference at all. Yet somehow you act like a self appointed guardian of Apple Inc. Why would you do that in the first place?. Is there a void in your life ready to be filled by a behemoth corporation.

That sounds really sad.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,944 times
Stay focused on the nature of their original argument and deconstruct that. The simple-minded partisans assert that liberalism (a) drives immigration (b) which leads to tech and other innovative industries (c). Therefore by the progressive transitive property innovation is a function of liberalism. How grandiose of them. An absurd sequence of socioeconomic dependencies cobbled together as if they were basic mathematical equalities to create the tortured conclusion that their ideology says must exist.

Let's humor them for just one moment and grade their math homework. I've shown a specific case where (b,immigration) is not a function of (a, liberalism) and (c, innovation) is not a function of (b, immigration) but rather the reverse where (b,immigration) is a function of (c, innovation). So what does that say about the progressive transitive that (c,innovation) is a function of (a,liberalism)?

It says they're going to repeat the grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies