Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 02:23 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Neither is sexual orientation or marriage but just try to refuse them service.
In many states, sexual orientation is a protected classification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
didn't read the whole thread... but isn't this kind of similar to the cake company who refused to bake a cake for the lesbian couple? how is this any different? why does one get blamed and not the other?

ahh i see this is discussed on a prior page - will go look at that, sorry.
The difference is that the baker refused to bake a cake in a state with a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The baker thus violated the law.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
In many states, sexual orientation is a protected classification.

The difference is that the baker refused to bake a cake in a state with a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The baker thus violated the law.
So what, religious beliefs are 1st amendment right and federally protected class. How the hell can a state law trump it?

Old 08-08-2017, 02:28 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
lol, maybe your lot should not have gotten so upset over a wedding cake. or did you think the Right wing zealots were the only ones who could refuse service?
They were not refused this one time for an event, they were permanently banned from the platform. They were spied on and then banned because of things unrelated to airbnb rentals.

The cake thing was all interrelated and it was only the one product they would not provide, and it involved two protected classes (federal/state).

Old 08-08-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How did the customers discriminate against anyone on the platform or elsewhere? What was the specific action that went against the policy? Did they refuse to rent from a minority? Did they make fun of a gay airbnb host? Must have done something specific to another member or none of this makes any sense.
Apparently, listening to a viewpoint BnB disagrees with is grounds for them to discriminate.

Let's discriminate against anyone who watches MSNBC and CNN!

Old 08-08-2017, 02:39 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
As far as how Air BnB is finding these people to deactivate, I can see hosts checking guests on FB (or other social media) once a reservation is made and if there are posts regarding this event they might complain to Air BnB. This potentially could happen to anyone with a social media page that they post their views (whatever those might be) on that is public and attached to their name. Remember once you reserve on Air BnB the hosts have your info - though I am not sure about your home address because payment is made through ABB but definitely your name, phone, email, etc.
If people want to make quick money this way, you take your chances.

What if you are a dog person and you find out you rented to a cat person?! Yikes, oh no....

Old 08-08-2017, 02:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I worked in housing for nearly a decade and had to take FHA training bi-annually for all those years. I am very well versed on the Fair Housing Laws.

I worked also as a consultant with HUD granted organization that had to follow Fair Housing Laws and federal contracting regulations.

There is NO part of the FHA that says that "white supremacists" or any racist ideology is a protected class. These guests were not denied based on them being "white." They were denied because they are racists and that violates AirBnB's Non-Discrimination policy.

The majority of "white" guests who use AirBnB will not be affected by this nor are they being denied access to the AirBnB platform.

Hmmmm.... I was just wondering if you would have the same opinion about this if a white landlord was researching the social media of his black tenants, and evicting or refusing to rent to them if they ever supported BLM, claiming that they are racist, and thus not protected by law.

I would be very cautious of allowing discrimination based on something as vague as the term racism, as the term racist is thrown around by just about anyone and not by a court of law.

As another example:

Say a christian baker is asked to bake a cake for a gay couple, he knows he cannot say no, but a simple search of the gay couples social media shows them attending a gay pride event.... Can the baker now refuse to serve them because they are anti-straight sexist, not because they are gay, but because they are an "ist"
(sexist,racist,etc.)

Look I don't support neo-nazis, skinheads, or white supremacist. I also don't support other racist groups like BLM or Antifa, and can see why many people don't have a problem sticking it to them.

But I would caution against allowing business large or small to go down this road.

RR

Old 08-08-2017, 02:41 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
If people want to make quick money this way, you take your chances.

What if you are a dog person and you find out you rented to a cat person?! Yikes, oh no....
Or heaven forbid you are a cop who wants a nice place to stay on vacation but the host is a rabid cop hater like some I have read here.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So what, religious beliefs are 1st amendment right and federally protected class. How the hell can a state law trump it?
Because there is no discrimination on the basis of religion here. There is a religiously neutral law governing commercial activity. People of all religions, when operating a commercial bakery in a State with such anti-discrimination laws, must not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Because there is no discrimination on the basis of religion here. There is a religiously neutral law governing commercial activity. People of all religions, when operating a commercial bakery in a State with such anti-discrimination laws, must not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
The law can't be religiously neutral if it requires them to violate a fundamental religious belief.

You're basically arguing that there is a free speech neutral law governing commercial activity requiring commercial bakers to make KKK cakes. The bakers weren't discriminating on the basis of 'sexual orientation" but same-sex marriage violating their religious beliefs.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
How did the customers discriminate against anyone on the platform or elsewhere? What was the specific action that went against the policy? Did they refuse to rent from a minority? Did they make fun of a gay airbnb host? Must have done something specific to another member or none of this makes any sense.
If the company believes that a guest or host, per their non-discrimination policy is biased against others based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., they can ban them from their platform.

Same as here on CD the mods can ban people based on their not conforming to the TOCs of this site even though we live in a country where we have "freedom of speech." This freedom does not always apply in the private sector or with certain organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies